P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Tips for switching between mouthpieces

Default Tips for switching between mouthpieces

For one of my college auditions I have to play classical and jazz repertoire. I play a Vandoren V16 A5 M and a Selmer C*. I don't know how much time I'll be allowed between for the switch so I'd like to know if anyone has tips on how to switch between the different sized pieces.

I find that I tend to bite on the the MP I'm switching to and can't get my embouchure to settle in quickly.

Default Re: Tips for switching between mouthpieces

I'd play the jazz piece on the classical mouthpiece for the audition.

If you are auditioning for a jazz programme, use the v16. Jazz guys understand the challenges of playing classical on a 'jazz' set-up.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012 dexdex's Avatar

Borrow a 2nd horn for the occasion, warm them up and tune them both before the exam. You'll avoid the stress of tuning and messing-up the reed alignment. Or maybe just another similar neck if you can.
    Sop Yana SC880 - Vandoren V16 S6 - Fiberreed Carbon Classic MH ¦ Alto SA-II - Meyer 7M - Fiberreed Carbon M
    Tenor MkVII - Link STM 8* - Fiberreed Carbon M ¦ Bari SA-II - JJ ESP 7* - Fiberreed Carbon M
    Hear them on The Groove Merchant.

Forum Contributor 2014 MoonMind's Avatar

I agree that you should use only one mouthpiece if settling in is any problem at all, which seems to be the case. Which one - well, listen to ZenBen, I'd say (ericdano isn't wrong - it's just that Ben gives the correct reasoning behind the decision, so maybe it'll even be the Selmer you choose in the end when you follow his advice to the point). I'd not waste a lot of time and nerves trying to figure out (or practice) how to switch - safe that for later.

Good luck!

M.
    ss: King (H. N. White, curved); Bauhaus Walstein Bronze AI (straight); Mantovanelli (an Orsi stencil, straight).
    as: King Super 20 SilverSonic; Yanagisawa A-6; Selmer SuperAction 80 II; Lyrist "Briard"; Yamaha YAS-25; Jupiter JAS-769-767.
    ts: Yanagisawa T-500; Cannonball T5; Conn 10M.
    bs: Conn 12M; Yanagisawa B-6; Keilwerth The New King.
    => Support Free Software! <=

Both mouthpieces are considered classical - pick one and commit to it.

Jazz is as much an attitude as classical. The differences are in the phrasing and delivery.

I have often used my classical setup for jazz performances and have infrequently used my jazz setup for classical rehearsals just to compel myself to exert more control over the very different mouthpiece. My classical tenor mouthpiece is a .088" Morgan C (refaced by Ed Zentera) while my preferred jazz mouthpiece is a Vandoren V16 T9 (refaced by Juan Caino to .122"). Those are considerably different mouthpieces.

If and when you really need to switch between varying mouthpieces, commit sufficient time to each and notice how you play each of them. Then start committing time during your practice periods to switch between mouthpieces and again note how you have to consciously adapt to each.

Awareness is often the first step of many paths.
    Go for The Tone,

g

"When you are doing well, don't forget to do good." - Sichan Siv.

Forum Contributor 2012

The V16M is a dark sounding mouthpiece and won't really sound much different from the C* at least to my ear. The facings aren't all that different either.

The C* is a fine jazz piece if pushed, in my opinion. Play it for both. Really, though, just go with the mouthpiece with which you are the most comfortable overall and feel gets you the most out of the horn.
    Proud alum of Mattawan High School bands. SMAM 2011 European tour. FIU Marching Band member 2011-.

@ZenBen. I have to play for the jazz faculty and the classical faculty separately so I don't know how forgiving the classical professors will be of me playing my V16.

I think I like the option of just using one on the audition that was mentioned, so I'll consult with my teacher as to which would be best.