P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Jumbo Java A45 vs A55

Albany, NY .. actually Chatham, NY ... but 'where is that??"

Default Jumbo Java A45 vs A55

Does anyone out there have any experience testing these 2 mouthpieces .. I play mostly rock, some fusion, and I like the big, but centered sound ...ala Clarence (RIP)..and lots of tonal inflection mobility (ala Barbieri) I am using a T75 on Selmer VI Tenor with pretty darn good luck ... and figure, for the price, I need something similar for alto (I just can't get that sound out of my Meyer 6M ..lol)...playing a 1925 Buescher TrueTone.. So I would like to find a Jumbo Java that will do the same for me on the alto ... am seriously considering the A55 just to get it done, but concerned about control on the Buescher with it...any comments? ..any other suggestions...
    Thanks...
    Tenor ..1973 Selmer Mark VI #211xxx .... RPC .115B ... Vandoren M/O lig ...
    Alto ...Yanagisawa A991 #320XXX....RPC .090B ... Vandoren M/O lig ....
    Sop.... CB Vintage Reborn .... RPC .080...... Brancher gold Lig ....

Default Re: Jumbo Java A45 vs A55

One last comment ... I have been listening to clips of players on beechler bellite 7's and 8's ... Like Thom Mason's sound with a Beechler Bellite #7 ... any comments?..appreciate any words of wisdom since i won't be in NYC for a few months to test these out and I could really use some good easy blowing alto mp soon ...

Forum Contributor 2013
    Distinguished SOTW Member

I've tried both. I like the A45 much better, despite the fact that I generally like a more open tip. The facing is shorter on the A45. It seems much easier to control.

TK Melody Endorser/
    Forum Contributor 2013

My experience after a 90 trial of the A45, A55 and A75 found that for me A55 gave me a fatter sound overall on alto but when pushed it gave me the buzz I need when I play fusion and smooth jazz.

The 45 was just simply too thin overall.

B
    “We are what we repeatedly do.
    Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.”
    ~Aristotle

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar

I prefer the A 45, I used to use it while using a 75 Jumbo on tenor and it's a perfect match. I find that relatively smaller tips on alto compared to tenor work best. If it was me however, I would be wary of a Jumbo on a True Tone.

Well I purchased an A45 today ... Be here in a few days ... May also pick up an A55 just to try out ... We'll see . However I do share the concern about a Jumbo on a true tone ... I notice some intonation problems with the T75 on tenor and it is a struggle at tints with intonation on my alto using a Meyer 6M ... Anyone using a true tone in a jazz/rock/fusion setting?

I had the A95 JJ then the A75 and now have a A55.The A55 from this list is very good but saying that i just got a new lebayle studio 9 alto metal piece for alto,wow its good.The A55 sits in its box now.
    Wedding Solo Saxophone Player For Hire www.smoothsaxsounds.com
    www.youtube.com/saxdaveboy www.soundcloud.com/daveysax1 Tenor Yamaha YTS82Z UL WOF# Yamaha VI Silver plated neck Sakshama B Marsalis G mp, Soprano Elkhart Deluxe, Alto Elkhart Deluxe , www.facebook.com/thedandbjazzproject?www.dbjazz.co.uk

I prefer the Barkley Pop 8 to the Jumbo A55 - more depth to the sound. Both really struggle against the new Phil-Tone Meridian, and Rift Dark, which are excellent.
    Alto: Selmer Reference 54/Phil-Tone Rift mpc/Marc Jean Lig/Marca J's
    Tenor: System 54 U/L Powerbell/Phil-Tone Isotope mpc/ Marc Jean Lig/Marca J's
    Soprano: Bauhaus Walstein Bronze Curved/Sop Planet Via Coro mpc/Marc Jean Lig/MarcaJ's

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

It's late for posting here, but I guess if somebody searches might help. I have played and tested all Jumbo Java models available for Alto. I started this Vandoren mouthpiece playing coming from a very open Berg, a 110/1/SMS, which I loved, but just was lost.

As being the 95, 75, 55 more open pieces than the A45, I thought I would find myself more comfortable with wider tip openings than that of the A45.

The truth, the only one I did not like very much has been the A35, but the A45 resulted in a perfecto combination of the opening plus the med-long facing, which in the A55 is long. This is important though altissimo is frequently a better result in short faced mouthpieces.

After years of trying to master it, the A45 has been the best thing I have compared it to: Beechlers, Selmers, Bergs (still have the blues for those old English Bergs...), Dukoffs, Claude Lackey (the green protection one), and almost any Vandoren you could imagine, and it has been the best for me. Only a Vandoren V16 8S made me wonder... because it had a magnificent tone that really made me have second thoughts. The A45 stayed with me because it has a richer low note delivery.

Bottom line, the A55 has proved to me a very, very good mouthpiece that has very good low, medium and high register, but not the altissimo a shorter faced mouthpiece can give, and that has been the point for me.

Hope this helps somebody.

JI

I've went back to my Jumbo java A55.Its very nice indeed.I 1st had the A95 then A75 but find the A55 has a way nicer sound and control.
    Wedding Solo Saxophone Player For Hire www.smoothsaxsounds.com
    www.youtube.com/saxdaveboy www.soundcloud.com/daveysax1 Tenor Yamaha YTS82Z UL WOF# Yamaha VI Silver plated neck Sakshama B Marsalis G mp, Soprano Elkhart Deluxe, Alto Elkhart Deluxe , www.facebook.com/thedandbjazzproject?www.dbjazz.co.uk