P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: If one were to get another tenor . . .

Default If one were to get another tenor . . .

I have hummed and hawed for a fair while before posting this. At the moment I have a Yamaha YTS-82z and a Phil Barone Vintage tenor. No problem with either of them, but I would like to have a broader view of the tenor scene. My interest is classical music, and I don't expect that to change. I am not a beginner, but I am making reasonable progress towards intermediate.

It seems to me that some broad options are:

• a Conn, Martin or Buescher;
    • a Buffet, Selmer or other European instrument
    • a modern Taiwanese instrument

I don't think I would want another Japanese saxophone, and I am not interested in the budget range of Chinese instruments.

I do not expect to spend more than $3000.

I know that in the end these things are highly subjective, but someone may have a thought that could help me make up my mind. Or should I simply stick to what I have and get an alto instead?

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

Default Re: If one were to get another tenor . . .

I dont have to think twice: Couf Superba I

(I havent played the II so I cant tell you about that)

The Couf has a big warmth that is just amazing. My favorite horn is of course my horn (MK VI). This is my second favorite.

If you want to go really vintage a Tranny is great.
    Phil-Tone Custom Woodwinds
    Custom Mouthpiece Design

www.Phil-Tone.com

Distinguished SOTW Member Bebopalot's Avatar

I have only hemmed and hawed about such things. Never was much into humming and hawing I guess that makes me more of a seamstress than a vocalist?

If you are serious about the saxophone and are satisfied with your tenors (and it sounds like you are) you are cheating yourself by not having an alto to enjoy. I would investigate an alto.

Quote Originally Posted by Bebopalot
    If you are serious about the saxophone and are satisfied with your tenors (and it sounds like you are) you are cheating yourself by not having an alto to enjoy. I would investigate an alto.
    I agree, especially of you play classical. Get an alto.

Forum Contributor 2013

For $3K, you might be able to get a very early Buescher TH&C. Maybe something in the 29x,xxx range.
    Good Luck,

Enviroguy

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Currawong View Post
    I am not a beginner, but I am making reasonable progress towards intermediate.
    That's about when I started playing the various sized horns. Some I respected told me I should focus on one and make it my voice, but in hindsight I'm glad I ignored them and took my own path. Being able to play alto, tenor or even bari, helped get me into ensembles where a part on just one of the horns might not have been available. So in that respect... rather than fall into the obsessive collecting cult... I'd branch out instead and go for an alto.

Forum Contributor 2012

There have been 2 sorts of suggestions here so far...both are pretty good.

Alto might open some new roads for you, indeed.

I think if you do stick with a Tenor, certainly it's time for you to get a vintage horn. Your Yama and Barone are pretty good instruments, but dare I say....a little soul-less.

A vintage horn is gonna really be a whole new ballgame, particularly sonically speaking. If the contemporary sax sound is what you are familiar with and used to, then an old classic might really knock your socks off.

I love Keilwerths, too (like the Coufs) but I have to admit that not many classical players use 'em. Although I do not particularly get the impression myself, there have been enough comments over the years regarding their less-than-perfect intonation to assume that there must be some validity to the claims. As one who listens to and plays Jazz and modern music...I have never had an issue with any JK, but...again....much better players than myself have stated so, so there must be an element of truth to the repute. If you are a classical player, probably NOT the vintage horn to get. For the big German sound with better in-toe-na-tion-rep-u-tay-tion...an old Kohlert might be a better choice.

Something like a Buescher (could be a THC or even a 400 or just an Aristocrat) or even a classic Conn 10M could make a nice pick. I would also like to throw in there a Beaugnier-made Vito or Noblet. Fantastic horns, very well-intoned. I have known a few classical players who also like Pierrets, although I find the Beaugniers to be richer and darker sounding.

These will be COMPLETELY different beasts from your current stable. They may actually redefine your concept of a Tenor Sax.

Now...for $3g...you actually have enough dolla' to buy a classic Tenor plus a classic Alto. No kidding. A top-shelf vintage Tenor these days only runs about $1200-2000 in good shape; an Alto around $700-1500.

Truth.

....damn...
    Go for the Old-Skool, homies. www.2ndending.com

Forum Contributor 2013

That classical statement didnt sink in. Perhaps a Crat.

...or go for the alto and expand your range.
    Phil-Tone Custom Woodwinds
    Custom Mouthpiece Design

www.Phil-Tone.com

Buescher 140 alto all snaps needs pads....interested?

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar

Though I did recommend alto, technically I have three tenors myself. However one belongs to my son, and though he doesn't play it anymore I'd only use it in an emergency. I like having two tenors though, as tenor is my go-to horn. One I prefer to use for posh and/or pure jazz gigs. The other is for bars, outdoor gigs and/or pure rock and roll.

Get an alto. Seriously, if classical is where your interests lie, then you would really be selling yourself short by getting yet another tenor - the vast majority of the classical saxophone repertoire is written for alto. Pick yourself up a nice Selmer S80II or Yamaha YAS-875EX (or a vintage Beuscher) and have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Currawong View Post
    I have hummed and hawed for a fair while before posting this. At the moment I have a Yamaha YTS-82z and a Phil Barone Vintage tenor. No problem with either of them, but I would like to have a broader view of the tenor scene. My interest is classical music...
    FWIW, James Houlik played a Couf Suberba for some time and then switched to a Selmer Serie III.

I played a Balanced Action for many years and when I started taking classical tenor seriously turned to a Serie III, Ref 36, and now a Borgani Jubilee.

If tenor is your voice, anything else is just less.

Tenor - It's all that matters.
    Go for The Tone,

g

"When you are doing well, don't forget to do good." - Sichan Siv.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr G View Post
    FWIW, James Houlik played a Couf Suberba for some time and then switched to a Selmer Serie III.

I played a Balanced Action for many years and when I started taking classical tenor seriously turned to a Serie III, Ref 36, and now a Borgani Jubilee.

If tenor is your voice, anything else is just less.

Tenor - It's all that matters.
    Jame Houlik sounded great on the Couf! They have a big, warm sound and nice fast mechanism. Another possibility is the Buffet Super Dynaction. I used one of those as an under-grad and grad student for chamber music, wind ensemble and recital playing. It was a great classical saxophone.
    "Inspiration is for amateurs, Just show up and get the work done!" ---- Chuck Close

Thank you very much for all these responses. It really helps when someone else has a look at the question. The recommendations for an alto are strong. What keeps me from taking up the suggestion immediately is that some years ago I had a YAS-275. There was absolutely nothing wrong with it, but I simply didn't like it. The tenor OTOH really felt good. Maybe things would be different now. In any case, I'll have to do some more thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Bebopalot View Post
    I have only hemmed and hawed about such things. Never was much into humming and hawing I guess that makes me more of a seamstress than a vocalist?
    Webster's indeed gives "hem and haw". The Oxford dictionary says "hum and haw". The meaning is the same.

Forum Contributor 2012

I was in a similar situation as you and I went with a Buffet SDA. Thought long and hard on Keilwerth, but couldn't find any that appealed to me...and the tone hole thing still slows me down. Still my Z is my favorite.
    "The key to improvising is being able to play and listen at the same time."