P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: What fingering for Bb would a "P" denote?

Default What fingering for Bb would a "P" denote?

I'm learning the dubois concerto, and I can't for the life of me figure out what the "P" above A# in the first accelerando is supposed to mean. It seems like both bis and 1/2 and the side key would work in the passage, but I'm by no means a sax master.

Also, is this the right section to post something like this in?

Edit: It also appears later on in the piece, also above an A#. The first time it appears the notes are(m will stand for middle, such as, h will stand for high, so ledger line non altissimo notes and ):

mD# mF# hE hD# hG hA# hE hC# hE

The second case time it appears is:

hC hA#(this one has the P) mF hA#(This one has Ta over it) hC hA hF

Edit 2: And now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure the P means bis, but a second opinion would still help

Distinguished SOTW Member ratracer's Avatar

Default Re: What fingering for Bb would a "P" denote?

Not having the music in front of me, I would hazard the guess of piano, or play softly?

Based on the progression of notes you provide, I can't see any outstanding advantage to using the Bis key that the composer/arranger would specify. It would work just fine but so would a couple other fingerings. I'm thinking the xoo|xoo fingering would be good for ease of transition between the A#'s and the F.

Be very interesting to hear the thoughts of others, with more experience with this piece, indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by ratracer View Post
    Not having the music in front of me, I would hazard the guess of piano, or play softly?

Based on the progression of notes you provide, I can't see any outstanding advantage to using the Bis key that the composer/arranger would specify. It would work just fine but so would a couple other fingerings. I'm thinking the xoo|xoo fingering would be good for ease of transition between the A#'s and the F.

Be very interesting to hear the thoughts of others, with more experience with this piece, indeed!
    It's most likely not piano, the p is written above the note, not below. I'll see if I can get a small sample picture of the music up on here

Distinguished SOTW Member/Mouthpiece Maker mfry's Avatar

Not familiar with the convention but p has to mean bis. side Bb impossible there. Looks like the Ta probably means side key.

Quote Originally Posted by Mezmorizor View Post
    It's most likely not piano, the p is written above the note, not below. I'll see if I can get a small sample picture of the music up on here
    True that. I admit grasping for the answer!

Quote Originally Posted by mfry View Post
    Not familiar with the convention but p has to mean bis. side Bb impossible there. Looks like the Ta probably means side key.
    Agreed. For some reason I had the picture of the notes down an octave in my mind's eye. Reading comprehension pretty bad on that one, sorry Mezmorizor.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian paulwl's Avatar

These are apparently part of a system of French symbols. I can't find a key to them on the web, however.
    Jazz = a man with a $5,000 horn driving a $500 car to a $50 gig.
    Conn, Buescher & Martin Saxes - Selmer & Conn Clarinets - Woodwind, Morgan, Link & Brilhart Mouthpieces - Alexander Reeds

mfry is right according to what I've been taught. The "P" is indeed the bis B-flat and the "Ta" is the side B-flat.

Here's an article where you'll find them both referenced.

http://www.jimromainmusic.com/.../Pe...derations.pdf?...

I'm not good at placing links, but maybe this one will work or at least point in the right direction.

Alright, so I have been using the right fingerings. Thanks for all of the help

Just found this at stevestusek.com

>Bis key (or “Bis-Bb”) Sometimes abbreviated "P" for "plateau" key in scores
    197? Conn 11M Bari, Gemeinhardt 3SSB Flute, Conn 6D French Horn
    Flatiron 1N Mandolin, Trinity College Bouzouki, 1929 Bacon & Day Style C Tenor Banjo
    Bodhran, bones, numerous whistles, etc.