P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Handy Tip Of The Day: Make a song list

Default Handy Tip Of The Day: Make a song list

Yep. That's right. My teacher mentioned this. He said when he gets together and plays tunes with friends they can't remember what tunes they know. Even though they may know many hundreds. So... It seems like a good idea to keep the list handy, in your sax case, in your Real Book, somewhere handy. That's all for now.
    "Sometimes you have to play a long time to be able to play like yourself." •Miles Davis
    “Always be a first rate version of yourself instead of a second rate version of somebody else.” •Judy Garland

www.stevenbollman.com

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Default Re: Handy Tip Of The Day: Make a song list

Yes, that's a very good idea. Every time you learn a new song, add it to the list. It's also a good idea to put the key signature and musical style, i.e.; Swing, Samba, Jazz Waltz, etc.
    Life is too short for long tones

Über Geek
    Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SOTW Member

I play sometimes with an "old school" guitarist who emails his tune list prior to gigs--he's got them memorized, of course. It's such a great sampling of the "Standards" canon that I've been working on that list for about two years now.
    "Nothing is worse for a musician than getting an opportunity you aren't prepared for." - Quincy Jones

Excellent idea indeed! It will save you the silly looks of "uhhhhh ... and what are we going to play next?"
    Grassi low A bari (1976) Meyer 9M / Martin "The Martin" tenor (1951), OL vintage Tone Edge #7
    Martin "Indiana" alto (1954), Meyer 6M / Buffet Crampon "Continentale" Bb clarinet (1972), Vandoren V360