Thread: RIP Etta James

Forum Contributor 2014 Smokey613's Avatar

Default RIP Etta James

Super 20 Silversonic Tenor 427xxx - Purchased New 1968
    PPT Onyxite 8* with Legere Signature 2.5

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2011

Default Re: RIP Etta James

We knew this was coming, but it's still sad.
    The Martin "Official Music Man" tenor, Barone black tenor, The Martin baritone, Richards Martin Indiana alto, cheap Chinese soprano, Metalite mouthpieces, Plasticover reeds, Nord Electro 2, bunch of other instruments
    Wall Of Blues, youtube video, P-Town All-Stars, get Rich, Cannons (my band in the 60's) and Cannons record

Just finished reading about her passing on-line. What a voice and what a talent she possessed. Reading about how painful and tumultuous her later years were makes me sad. May she truly rest in peace.
    "One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."- Winnie the Pooh

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Westerly64 View Post
    Just finished reading about her passing on-line. What a voice and what a talent she possessed. Reading about how painful and tumultuous her later years were makes me sad. May she truly rest in peace.
    My coworker just told me and I was like damn. I was just listening to her a few days ago.
    CONN 10M (1936) White ROO Pads....Best Tenor Ever!
    "Just noticed that the "lol" symbol looks like a drowning guy, and all you see is his head and arms sticking out of the water. I bet he's not laughing out loud!"

My Website is ONLINE!!!! SAXESANDAXES.COM
    Like us on Facebook!!! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Saxes...32078803475235

Distinguished SOTW member daigle65's Avatar
    " M'enfin ! " ....Gaston Lagaffe

Sad, alright. I loved her album Mystery Lady when it came out. She did tunes Billie Holiday used to do, like "Lover Man," "The Man I Love," and "The Very Thought of You"--something different for Etta, miles away from R & B. I remember "Don't Explain" more sounding true and real than I'd ever heard it.

Distinguished SOTW Member kilter's Avatar

Oh man... Rest in peace, Etta. I was playing a bunch of her tunes just last night with a soul band.. she was so heavy.

Distinguished SOTW Member Jazz Is All's Avatar

I knew a few weeks ago when she had to go into the hospital that the end wasn't far off for this incredible woman. What a career she had, right from the 50's up until very recently, with one of the greates R&B voices ever. I was fortunate to get to see her at least 3 times many years ago when she was in full form, and she was a knockout. Goodbye Etta, you'll be remembered for a long time to come.
    Music is a magic elixir. It renews the spirit and fills the soul with joy -- Jazz Is All
    "It's all about the spirit. The body will be gone in a blink, but the spirit never dies. That is jazz." -- Sonny Rollins
    ParkerColtraneMcLeanRollinsGordonGriffinHendersonErvinDolphyKirkLacyHandySheppMarianoSandersG.AdamsBergSpauldingShorter

Distinguished SOTW Member belliott's Avatar

Very sad indeed to lose a lady of Etta James' stature.......RIP Etta. You will most definitely be missed.
    Dum Spiro Spero......While I breathe, I hope