Antigua Winds
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar

Default The (not quite) ultimate guide to R & B saxophone players, part 1

This is a project I've been meaning to do for ages. It's not in any way meant to be an exhaustive study, but I do intend to include as many players as possible, with soundclips. A kind of "starter pack" for anyone interested in the genre.

The first dozen or so are up there now:

http://tamingthesaxophone.com/blues-saxophone.html

Please feel free to comment, criticise, make suggestions

(Neil Sharpe take note: Lionel Torrence will be there)

Distinguished SOTW Member

Default Re: The (not quite) ultimate guide to R & B saxophone players, part 1

This stuff is red meat for me. Keep it going.

This is terrific. Thank you very much indeed. The comments/biogs are great, just enough. But most of all the coverage is the thing and you do that well.

Distinguished SOTW member daigle65's Avatar

Very cool Pete!
    " M'enfin ! " ....Gaston Lagaffe

Great stuff Pete! Thanks for posting!
    Alto: YAS-23, Jody Jazz HR* 6M, Legere Signature 3 or RJS 3S

Don't forget Daddy G (Gene Barge with the Church Street Five ("Quarter to Three", Gary U.S. Bonds)

SOTW Interviews/Editor
    Forum Contributor 2014

Great clips and links. Many thanks, especially for including the great Lionel Prevost aka Lionel Torrence
    http://www.saxontheweb.net/Rock_n_Ro...lPrevost1.html
    SOTW's Blues, R&B, Rock n' Roll Teaching Resource
    http://www.saxontheweb.net/Rock_n_Roll/

Anxiety, Emotions and Performing Well
    http://www.saxontheweb.net/Resources...-NSharpe1.html

SOTW Supports The New Orleans Musicians' Relief Fund
    "These 16 great MP3s celebrate the rich, vibrant, musical heritage of The City Lights - New Orleans."
    http://www.nomrf.org/saxontheweb.html

SOTW Columnist/ Forum Contributor 2014

Great page, Pete! I love finding out about great r&b sax players, and there were a couple on there that I'm not really familiar with. Thanks, and keep it coming.

Distinguished SOTW Member/ Content Expert
    Forum Contributor 2014

Great initiative and project Pete .

I missed Arnett Cobb and Jimmy Forrest, but saw them in your 'coming soon' list. Maybe it's a good idea to add Joe Thomas (your uncle ?) to that list, who was a big influence for Cobb and others and did some very rough pre R&B things in the late 40's, after he left the Jimmy Lunceford bigband. See this SOTW post for some example clips of Joe Thomas ('Tearing Hair' is a screamer):

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthr...=1#post1728523

That (long) thread contains lot's of great clips of players that are already in or could be in your list.

T : Selmer SBA serial 50xxx (1952) - Otto Link Florida no USA 10* - La Voz medium
    A : Klingsor serial 016xx (early 60's) - Otto Link STM 9* - Rico Royal 2.5
    SoundClick | YouTube | SOTW Blues (Round 8) | Mouthpiece Pictures

Yes, it's not even half complete yet. Joe Thomas will be there.

I'm not putting them on in any particular order, currently working on Paul Williams.

Distinguished SOTW Member Captain Beeflat's Avatar

Well done Pete.
    To many of us, that is the saxophone at it's very best....in it's true element....where only the saxophone could express the mood.
    Experience is an excellent school....but the fees are high.

Distinguished SOTW Technician BOPITY FUNK's Avatar

Joe Thomas became a successful mortician/funeral parlour proprietor after quitting the pro music business.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Beeflat View Post
    Well done Pete.
    To many of us, that is the saxophone at it's very best....in it's true element....where only the saxophone could express the mood.
    How many times do you think the vibraphone player thought that? "A drummer couldn't that, a pianist couldn't do that, just me!"

Distinguished SOTW Member saxpiece's Avatar

Great stuff.

I don't think I saw Junior Walker.

Forum Contributor 2014 Jacques5646's Avatar

Fantastic selection. Thanks and keep honking
    J
    (Jazz) is a lot of wrong notes...especially people who play jazz saxophone. Spinal Tap. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH1pw4EMe4g (1:20; 2:05)

Bari Conn 11 M, N238xxx; Mpcs: Silver Barone "made with pride 2002"; Drake Crossover I. Tenor King Cleveland Super 20, 267xxx; Mpc: Barone Hollywood 7*. Flute Sankyo Silverite; Haynes head

Quote Originally Posted by saxpiece View Post
    Great stuff.

I don't think I saw Junior Walker.
    Look again, he's on the list.

I've just added a few more: Joe Thomas, Arnett Cobb and the obligatory Chuck Rio.

I sure hope Lenny Pickett's going to be on that list...

Distinguished SOTW Member rleitch's Avatar

Great Job Pete!

Thanks for including that Lynn Hope track...one of my favs. I know you won't forget Julian Dash, but think about adding the great blues player Maurice Reedus too. Reedus is not anywhere near as well known your other greats, but I think his long collaboration with Robert Jr Lockwood makes him an original voice in R&B/Blues tenor sax history. Not sure if he was on your list, but Grady Gaines is pretty legendary on the more pop side of R&B?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQglY...eature=related
    Martin "Dick Stabile" Tenor: Barone Jazz 7*/GW7

"The spiritual life is built upon a commitment to truth telling and truth living. As master jazz musicians, [John Coltrane and Miles Davis] presented their spirituality within the reality of cool." --Farah Jasmine Griffen and Salim Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Metalflake View Post
    I sure hope Lenny Pickett's going to be on that list...
    Sooner or later. For now I'm mostly concentrating on the earlier players, i.e. from the "golden age" of instrumental R & B which I think of as the late 40s - 50s.

At some point of course there will be a debate to define R & B.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast