Sax on the Web Forum banner

Straight Alto Sax

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Enviroguy 
#1 ·
I just purchased a new LA Sax straight alto and there is something odd about it. Low and middle D are flat and I have tried all kinds of things but nothing has fixed it. The only solution so far is to add the low C# key as a vent which brings it right up to pitch. Has anyone evey heard of this with LA Sax or straight altos. I do something similiar on my bassoon never thought about it on a sax then I tried it and success.

#3 ·
See ya done it now.... made me pull out my Bouscher Straight alto 1926 and play it against the chromatic tuner. Silver plate where the gold bell that shines like the evening sky.... no intonation problems... maybe you need to take your straight alto to a tech and have them set it up.... adjusting the the height of the open tone hole covers can have an appreciable effect on intonation.

#4 ·
First place to look is the low C pad which may need to be opened up and maybe even the low B and Bb pads if the low C is flat too. This is always a problem on saxes as if you open the low C enough to get D1 in tune, D2 usually is too sharp so I try to get an in between balance. Since both octaves are behaving flat, you should be OK with it more open.

#6 ·
I have also had this problem with a normal alto,my Mauriat system 76 plays flat on low D,i have opened up the C pad,but as Bruce pointed out it does throw other notes out so its a balancing act,after a while you just learn to deal with it,lip it up or use the C# key.

#7 ·
Okay,

You need to talk to Dave Schottle. He actually worked on some of the designs for LA Sax's straight instruments. He can probably tell you everything you want to know about it, both good and bad. Here's a link to his website and contact info:

http://www.davidsinstruments.com/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.