Sax on the Web Forum banner

Hercules alto sax peg?

9K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  mishmellow 
G
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I've been using the Hercules bari sax stand for a while now and also own various other Hercules sax stands. Recently I've found it would be useful to have both my alto and sop sax on my bari stand so that I can just have the one stand set up. I know Hercules do a bari sax stand with an alto peg attached, but does anyone know if they sell the alto peg separately and if so where I can get it from?

Cheers

#2 ·
I actually thought I was sure about the alto sax peg, but atm they don't list it on their site: http://www.herculesstands.com/band/woodwind.html... But since the bari and alto stand exists and uses a peg instead of a second base stand (like the tenor and alto stand), a dealer should at least be able to get a spare...

As for dealers in the UK, go here: http://www.herculesstands.co.uk/ - looks as if you can shop directly.

M.

#5 ·
Maike: I never tried to buy the peg, but there's this bari and alto/tenor stand: http://www.herculesstands.com/band/DS536B.html

I have the bari only version - which is exactly the same stand, but with two peg holes. I couldn't find the separate peg on Hercules' site either, but I'd be astonished if it wasn't available. I'd write to them if I were you.

I hope Sam got lucky and will report back ...

M.

#6 ·
I have both the bari only and the bari alto/tenor combo stands and while they are very similar they are not quite exactly the same. The alto/tenor peg slots into a square receptacle, that has been added to the right leg of the bari stand, before being tightened by a wing nut that screws on to a short threaded rod that protrudes from the bottom of the peg. The rod doesn't actually thread into a fitting on the sand but goes straight through so that the wing nut can be threaded on from below.

In my experience whether the combo stand works better or not depends upon the space you're working in. While it may seem counter-intuitive, I've found separate stands actually work better when you are working on a small stage or in tight space. The single combo stand requires more access space around it to make horn changes because of the way the horns are angled with respect to one another. On a crowded stage it's often easier to find two small spaces than one large one so sometimes I use the combo and other times I use use two separate stands.

While the bari alto/tenor combo can be convenient separate stands are much more flexible not just for small spaces but also if you often play alto or tenor only gigs since in those cases you'll need not carry the heavy bari stand for those gigs.

#7 ·
Valuable info - thanks, KeithL!

M.

#9 ·
I've reached out to Hercules 2x this week, but no reply. For the bari combo sax stand, DS536B, there are 2 peg holes. One for the alto/tenor peg, and the other for a trumpet peg. Years ago, I was also hoping that I could get my wife back into playing trumpet, but no dice. Anyway, I want to retrofit that trumpet peg hole, and add another alto/tenor peg. Basically just drill out that trumpet peg hole and add the peg. But still no response from Hercules... sigh

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.