Antigua Winds

Default "Splitting" High A on Tenor

I am wondering if anyone has some good tricks, tips, or fingerings for "splitting" high A on tenor.

What I mean by "splitting" is when you hit that sweet spot where the A isn't quite sounding and some of the other overtones are heard and a growling type sound is produced.

I finger high A by pressing the octave key and the bottom two fingers in the left (top) hand and all three of the fingers in the right (bottom) hand.

I am able to get that sound my adjusting my oral cavity and my embochure, but it's not consistent.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Default Re: "Splitting" High A on Tenor

No responses yet eh? Not surprised. I wish I could help you here, but I am not sure I can consistently split the A, although at times it happens. I can split the high G like clockwork as well as F and F# leading up to G. However, when I get to G#, A and higher, I have to focus my throat and embochure just to get those, so I can't change textures on them yet.

For me, I split notes I think by using a bit of my vocal chords - which I do a bit subconciously by just 'hearing' the sound I want, but that is how I do it.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

Vocalizing and Splitting are two different techniques which should be pointed out. Opening the throat is a must.

Franks Catalano on Split Tones

http://www.ricoreeds.com/RicoMediaDe...diaId=268&ex=0

Without a doubt certain set up will tend to split better or worse than other set ups.

I have a Java 3 Green that splits the A much better than it's brethren Java Green 3. But it's easy enough to do on both.
    (\__/) Amati ATS-61 Custom Unlacquered key work, Phil Barone Neck
    (0.o ) CE Winds Legend I. FL Ultimate lig, Vandoren Blue Box 2.5
    (> < ) www.soundcloud.com/seanwintersax All of my posts should be prefaced by "IMHO"

Quote Originally Posted by littlewailer View Post
    Vocalizing and Splitting are two different techniques which should be pointed out. Opening the throat is a must.

Franks Catalano on Split Tones

http://www.ricoreeds.com/RicoMediaDe...diaId=268&ex=0

Without a doubt certain set up will tend to split better or worse than other set ups.

I have a Java 3 Green that splits the A much better than it's brethren Java Green 3. But it's easy enough to do on both.
    Funny thing with Frank there---I actually prefer the sound he gets doing it the previous way, vs. how he says he overblows it with the open throat. Eh, just me maybe.

You are using the right fingering, you just have to keep doing it. Try playing it clean, then play it again, trying to get it to split. Eventually you'll be able to split it at will.

Thanks for all of the advice. I will put it to work and let you know how it turns out!

Check out Catalono's link. Then back off a bit in terms of reed strength a bit. I dropped from a 3.5 to a 3, and then was able to do it. I still can't do it on the harder reed consistently, but the softer ones work. I think the ones he recommended are the Rico Jazz select, and it did work better for me. Typically I play the ZZ reeds.

PS - I also find that attempting to put more air through the horn than you ever thought physically possible helps.