Sax on the Web Forum banner

Yamaha YBS-62

5K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  EsbSpecial 
#1 ·
Hey All,
I've been hearing from a lot of people that the YBS-62 is the best bari on todays market and possibly of all time. I've been playing a ybs-52 for about 4 years now and have always wondered how this bari compares to other baris on the market today as well as vintage baris that have been recognized as the best baris of all time such as the Mark VI and the Conn 12M. Please let me know your opinion about this bari and how it compares to current ones and the vintage ones listed or other vintage baris also. Thanks.

#2 ·
Many folks around here say that Yamaha Baris in general have no 'soul'. Luckily I provide that component:)

The first bari I ever played was a MkVI low Bb, and the second a 12M. I've played several different MkVI baritones since then, most with low A's. I now own a YBS 62. Easy to play in tune, focused rather than spread sound. When I bought mine, I was looking for a Couf Superba I with a low A, but bought the 62 instead. It's even better with an RPC high baffle piece.

I only have one quibble, and that's with the double octave key. It can be sort of fiddly at times.

#3 ·
I haven't played every brand, so I don't know if it's the best, and really, that's just a matter of opinion. I can say, now owning one, that I'm not sure how it can be much improved upon. I use a medium large chamber, large bore, rollover baffle HR mouthpiece, which gives me a fat tone, while still retaining a good center. The ergos are great, especially the low A mechanism, which has a real snap to it. Intonation is very good, and the palm key notes sound great. The only complaint is that the action, as it's originaly set up, is a little stiff for my taste.

#4 ·
It may be biased opinion from owners and players of YBS-62s as they will always say they're the best baris.

And as a proud owner and player of one myself, I couldn't agree more! I've tried various other baris and to me, nothing comes near my YBS-62.

The only thing I do miss is the raw and gutsy tone of the Conn X-bar which I played before getting my Yamaha, but I definitely don't miss the agricultural keywork on them (as well as no low A or high F# key) - the Yamaha keywork is by far the best designed and reliable out of all baris.

#8 ·
The only thing I do miss is the raw and gutsy tone of the Conn X-bar which I played before getting my Yamaha, but I definitely don't miss the agricultural keywork on them (as well as no low A or high F# key) - the Yamaha keywork is by far the best designed and reliable out of all baris.
Try an 11m. Still has the agricultural keywork (I like that terminology!), but has the low A. Just a massive sound in general - gotta make sure that you get a good one, though.

If I could, I'd have the yamaha low A mech on every bari that exists. It is as close to the perfect A action as you can get.

#5 ·
Oh, and it's also the only bari I've played where you can play low A without aid from the lh pinky.

#7 ·
And also the one where you know you can reliably slur from low C# straight to low A while still holding the low C# key down. All that without double pad cup arms and all other fancy linkages in between the bell keys. A pretty simple, well designed and well built dependable low A mechanism that all other makers should consider using (although it has more recently been copied on Chinese baris).

#6 ·
I borrowed a friend's YBS-62 several times before I finally had the money to go bari shopping for a horn of my own. I spent a few days at USA trying them; YBS-62, Yani B901, B991,& B992, Selmer SA80 Series II. I ended up with the B992. That being said I would have been happy with any of the horns I played. Even though I like the sound and response a little better with the Yani, I think the Yamaha has a better low A mechanism and better lacquer/ general cosmetic finish. Remember when it comes to most things, especially something as personal as musical instruments, "best" is a relative term.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.