P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: playing in wind.

Default playing in wind.

Had an outdoor gig today that was a bit challenging. Has anyone tried to play in 25mph gusty dry wind? Never did that before. Couldn't use cane reeds. Guitarist kept complaining that he had to tune before every song. We sounded pretty rough.

Distinguished SOTW member/Official SOTW Sister bandmommy's Avatar

Default Re: playing in wind.

Yes, I've done it. WITH cane reeds.
    Outdoor community band/choir concert. Sing 3-4 songs, play 3-4, back to singing, back to playing.
    Clarinet and tenor sax.
    What you do is get the reed REALLY wet and use a cap. They don't dry out THAT fast.
    Proof is my youTube of 'A Little Stranger'. Windy enough to blow stands over!
    Old reed players are like fine wine. They only get better with age. Tom Hagen

Play the Music, not the instrument.

Try playing low notes on a flute with the wind blowing into your face, like a boat gig. If a mike is in use it can shield the embouchure but the wind noise even with a sock can be as loud as the flute.

Distinguished SOTW Member saxpiece's Avatar

The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind. The answer is blowing in the wind.

Über Geek
    Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SOTW Member

Yep--I'm right up in the valley. These winds have been a massive drag.
    Temperature is another problem, since the bottom of a bari never warms up and the spread between octaves gets farther and farther apart. I have to REALLY want the gig to play outside this time of year.
    "Nothing is worse for a musician than getting an opportunity you aren't prepared for." - Quincy Jones

I went to Boulder from Kentucky one time twenty years ago for a college festival and had to buy reeds out there....Weird
    My actions are my only true possession they are the ground on which I stand. Thich Nhat Hahn