P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Got my Buescher C soprano! woohoo

Forum Contributor 2011 swansong's Avatar

Default Got my Buescher C soprano! woohoo

Just wanted to share my new bundle of joy... Yesterday I finally received my 1919 Buescher C soprano and it is AMAZING!! So tiny, it seems like a toy. Made an offer on ebay from "wideangleman" (now intofoc.usmontreal) Randy Cole, of the Jazz Period youtube series. His description was pretty much spot on and he was good about responding to emails, he has some real vintage beauties and I would definitely recommend him.

Very old yet supple pads, super clean silver plate and no dents or body damage to speak of. The G# lever and key arm guard was severed at one point and soldered back together a little sloppy, but other than that the horn looks almost new. I had to replace the bis Bb spring and there are a few leaks that you can squeeze shut.

It's tough to get past high c# consistently, but besides that it is a joy to play! It's really making me aware of my throat position, you must "sing" internally with this horn otherwise it sounds stuffy or jumps into an overtone, it's really great practice and demands concentration. I've been studying tuvan throat singing and shakuhachi lately and the amount of control I'm discovering in my tongue/throat is making such a huge difference on my sax tone. I highly recommend you guys check either of those out...

Ergonomically it's not as weird as I expected, the palm keys and alt F# key are poorly placed (maybe not for toddlers) but I can always add extensions. Table keys aren't too bad, but the G# button is angled pretty far inward, it's aligned with the key arm so guess that was intentional. Keywork mechanism is much simpler than the Bb sop, pretty neat design actually. Action feels pretty good and light, but the springs are old and should be replaced. Intonation is near perfect with the yamaha 6c, though I prefer the less focused tone with my vintage meyer 6m but the shank is about 2mm too long, bummer. Debating whether to commit to the meyer and file it down or try a runyon custom.

Anyone have any luck with finding modern cases? Probably next fall I'll have saved up enough for a complete overhaul and respring, it'll be a baby monster!

OK, drool...

'67 King Super 20 Tenor 427xxx ~ '38 Conn 26M VIII alto 284xxx NY neck ~ '19 Buescher C soprano
    "I am on the edge of mysteries and the veil is getting thinner and thinner." -Louis Pasteur

Default Re: Got my Buescher C soprano! woohoo

Very nice! I bought a Protec case for my C-sop. The inside supports are adjustable so it will fit any soprano. Lots of padding. I paid $110 for it. If you want to be original I am willing to sell the original Martin case that came with my c-sop.
    Derrick
    '23 Martin Handcraft C Soprano, '59 Martin Indiana Alto, '25 Buescher Tru-Tone C Melody, '48 Martin The Martin - I guess I'm pretty much a Martin fan!

Forum Contributor 2011 swansong's Avatar

Thanks for the info Derrick, the last pic shows the original case, it's in 8/10 condition surprisingly but I'd prefer a plushier sturdy case. I'll check out the protec next time I'm at the sax shop. cheers!
    '67 King Super 20 Tenor 427xxx ~ '38 Conn 26M VIII alto 284xxx NY neck ~ '19 Buescher C soprano
    "I am on the edge of mysteries and the veil is getting thinner and thinner." -Louis Pasteur

Yours is definitely even plushier than mine! Why they didn't put more into protection of these instruments, I don't know.
    Derrick
    '23 Martin Handcraft C Soprano, '59 Martin Indiana Alto, '25 Buescher Tru-Tone C Melody, '48 Martin The Martin - I guess I'm pretty much a Martin fan!

Distinguished SOTW Member electricfigue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dvdberg View Post
    Yours is definitely even plushier than mine! Why they didn't put more into protection of these instruments, I don't know.
    Because they don´t needed it, on that time everything was slower, gentler and no rush to move from a place to another, no one were using tennis shoes - trying to run to nowhere -, no phone calls or maybe once in a week, the mails were written on ink and spent weeks to reach the destination, and a saxophone case was a beautiful thing to carry as a luggage if you need to travel.

Distinguished SOTW Member Mal 2's Avatar

What's the diameter of the bell? I'm thinking a soft case made for a metal clarinet (or assembled normal clarinet) might do the trick.
    SAX QUARTET (trio, sextet, etc.): Bandcamp (streaming), or Downloadable (MP3 and PDF).

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2011

Try putting it in a case designed for a Bb sop with removable necks. It should be a close fit.
    Sop: SA80II - Barone Vintage 7
    Alto: MKVI 56k - Barone NY5M
    Tenor: MKVI 127k - Barone Jazz 7*
    Bari: 12M Tranny 259k - Barone-modified HR Link 0.110" / Morgan Double-Chamber 8

Distinguished SOTW Technician
    Forum Contributor 2013

swansong, congrats on the little beauty. It is gorgeous!

I've been playing a 1923 Buescher C-soprano regularly for many years. Many folks have complained about intonation issues, and I agree that those issues do exist, but they can worked around with come minor modifications and alternate fingerings. You may not have trouble with yours, but here are some common findings:

First, notes below D1 get very sharp. These notes can be lipped down with considerable effort. A liner can also be inserted into the bore to bring down the pitch. I used some Ticky Tack rolled into a 1/4" diameter "rope" that I stuck inside the bore starting just below the low D tone hole. That brought down the pitch of Bb1 through C#1, but not completely. Too much material can make the notes sound stuffy.

Next, B2 through C#2 can tend to be flat. I open one of the RH side keys to bring the pitch of these up: open side-C when playing C#, open side-Bb when playing C, press G# key when playing B. I also sometimes play C#2 with the long fingering (play C#1 with the octave key).

Anyway, have fun with your new horn!
    Music is as music does.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician

I use a Yamaha 4C on my C soprano and it has the best intonation. I have a C soprano case that was custom made in S America for $100 shipped. Heavy and sturdy and looks vintage. Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/4036864...tags/csopcase/

Beautiful horn. Subtle patina. From another era for sure. I can see the craftsmen working on it with their mustaches and suspenders.

Distinguished SOTW Member Mal 2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sax View Post
    Try putting it in a case designed for a Bb sop with removable necks. It should be a close fit.
    Maybe on length, but it's going to slosh around a bit. You could make a cloth bag that fits the horn closely and takes up the slack, but that would mean an extra step every time you take it out or put it away. You also could carve up a pool noodle and take up the slack with that. All it takes to carve one is a good pair of scissors (to split it lengthwise) and a lighter and/or butane torch (for shaping). Glue on some cloth and secure it to the case (I'd just hot glue it in a few places) and you've just converted the case in a reversible manner.

I have a soprano bag made by Gard that would work, though it would be unnecessarily long. Fortunately, the zipper starts at the bell end so shortening it for the purpose would not be incredibly difficult. It would, however, leave the handle off-center. Or, you could just leave it alone and pack the horn in the middle. The case naturally wants to flatten out like a taco shell, so it should provide enough force to prevent the horn from sloshing.
    SAX QUARTET (trio, sextet, etc.): Bandcamp (streaming), or Downloadable (MP3 and PDF).

Lovely horn, well done!...I have the idential sax as you and Jorns (mine is a 1923 too) and have tried all sort of mouthpieces. Bruce is spot on with the Yamaha 4C - lovely mellow sound and good intonation on this horn. Also maybe try a Selmer Super Session (perhaps again with a smaller tip opening) this'll make it sing and be more stridant, but with a mellow depth of tone too. I finally settled on a Mojo custom vintage Buescher C-sop piece (Mojo is a member on this forum and has I think still got a few vintage Buescher C-sop blanks that can be re-worked to your needs) - that's my tip anyway - the Mojo custom is a total delight, just sings, a rich and complex tone, and feels more like a Bb sop to blow, great intonation too as it was designed for this horn!...or ask Joe at Soprano Planet what he has in currently regarding vintage custom C-sop pieces.
    “Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.” - Winne the Pooh

I also have a Buescher C soprano, I think it's from 1924, in raw brass finish. I've had intonation issues with all mouthpieces I've tried: Selmer Soloist (my favorite on Bb soprano), Riffault, RPC, Rico Metalite, Conn Eagle, Buescher, Buescher C sop, Buffet C sop and a few unmarked pieces. Earlier this week I finally tried my old worn Yamaha 4C and I just have to agree it really IS a great C soprano mouthpiece. The best intonation by far of all pieces and a pretty nice sound too.