Just wanted to share my new bundle of joy... Yesterday I finally received my 1919 Buescher C soprano and it is AMAZING!! So tiny, it seems like a toy. Made an offer on ebay from "wideangleman" (now intofoc.usmontreal) Randy Cole, of the Jazz Period youtube series. His description was pretty much spot on and he was good about responding to emails, he has some real vintage beauties and I would definitely recommend him.

Very old yet supple pads, super clean silver plate and no dents or body damage to speak of. The G# lever and key arm guard was severed at one point and soldered back together a little sloppy, but other than that the horn looks almost new. I had to replace the bis Bb spring and there are a few leaks that you can squeeze shut.

It's tough to get past high c# consistently, but besides that it is a joy to play! It's really making me aware of my throat position, you must "sing" internally with this horn otherwise it sounds stuffy or jumps into an overtone, it's really great practice and demands concentration. I've been studying tuvan throat singing and shakuhachi lately and the amount of control I'm discovering in my tongue/throat is making such a huge difference on my sax tone. I highly recommend you guys check either of those out...

Ergonomically it's not as weird as I expected, the palm keys and alt F# key are poorly placed (maybe not for toddlers) but I can always add extensions. Table keys aren't too bad, but the G# button is angled pretty far inward, it's aligned with the key arm so guess that was intentional. Keywork mechanism is much simpler than the Bb sop, pretty neat design actually. Action feels pretty good and light, but the springs are old and should be replaced. Intonation is near perfect with the yamaha 6c, though I prefer the less focused tone with my vintage meyer 6m but the shank is about 2mm too long, bummer. Debating whether to commit to the meyer and file it down or try a runyon custom.

Anyone have any luck with finding modern cases? Probably next fall I'll have saved up enough for a complete overhaul and respring, it'll be a baby monster!

OK, drool...