P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: SOTW new member introductions, 2012 Jan - March

Hybrid View

Default SOTW new member introductions, 2012 Jan - March

Hi, I'm a saxophonist who's been reading the forums for a while. Glad to join the community.

Default Re: SOTW new member introductions, 2011 September - December

Hi, I have played alto sax for 1,5 years, so I'm a beginner. This is very useful forum to get help and tips from others and not to forget a good place to sell and buy related stuff. Nice to be part of this community!

Default Re: SOTW new member introductions, 2011 September - December

Hi everybody, I play sax for 10 years, more or less, nice to meet you!

Default Re: SOTW new member introductions, 2012

Welcome all to the New Year 2012 and to the Sax on the Web Forum.

During 2012 we enjoyed a steady growth without major changes in our mode of operation.
    I'd like to thank all of you for continuing support and the Admin Team for their unceasing unselfish effort.

All the best for 2012,
    ~harri

Hello!
    I'm a sax professional for a long time and I've been reading the forums for many years. Now I finally want to join the community.

Jan

Hello,
    I am a Music Education student and my major instrument is saxophone. I look forward to learning and growing in this community!

Hi!
    I'm a student currently studying saxophone. I've joined SOTW mainly to collaborate with other saxophonists to further my knowledge of the instrument itself. It's a pleasure to meet you all.

Good Morning & Happy New Years!

I'm a 41 year old who is pretty new to playing the sax, having started in Oct 2011. I'm playing on a locally rented Selmer AS500 and I really need to upgrade the mouthpiece, but I would really prefer to be playing a soprano. Well, at least I don't need to put earplugs in the dogs ears anymore...

Does anyone know where I could rent a decent soprano sax? I found this sax forum (again) while trying to track down some information on a Cecilio soprano that I was considering renting, but after reading the posts here, it sounds like a total crap shoot whether or not I'd get a decent horn or a pretty piece of junk. Considering with the prices of these entry level horns, I'd be paying over 20% of the price of a brand new Cecilio just to rent it for one month and return it, which doesn't really make much sense to me. I'm still browsing the forums looking at other information, but if anyone has tips on where to rent a decent soprano, please let me know. I've checked locally and Dave & Kessler's initial reply was negative for a rent to own option - I'm currently waiting on a reply for a used rental.

Happy new year. I'm 48 years old amateur sax player from Japan. I started to play sax at my high school age(more than 30 years).
    I have sop, 2 altos and tenor playing Jazz in combo and big band.

Hi, Taffer!

Hi. I haven't posted any info yet, but I've been playing the saxophone for 49 years. I'm not a pro, but I have a huge collection of saxophone, some great and some total junk.
    You're probably not going to want to hear this, but renting is very expensive money down a rathole. It's mostly for school age beginners with non-musical parents who are not sure whether they would continue. If you bought a used sax, you could always sell it later if it doesn't work out. Sopranos are a specialty--no one is going to rent you a really good horn. I have a Taiwanese piece of junk that a couple of decades old, and it's really difficult to play in tune. One thing you should definitely know-- don't play a soprano sax with the stock mouthpiece. It will sound like a fish horn. Buy the absolute best horn you can (get a good one used) or you will probably be doomed to disappointment.

Hi,

I played alto/tenor sax in jazz and marching band through middle/high school. I Just picked up the horn for the first time about two weeks ago and started playing again. I currently only have my Armstrong Alto from high school but am looking for a vintage tenor.

Mike

hello saxontheweb,

wikiloopus be the name I'm playing alto for 1,5years now, glad to have found this rich site!

Stumbled across this site looking for good playalong music, looking forward to checking it out some more...

Hello my name is Nick Rundle, as you can see <<<<. I have been playing since I was 7 which is 17 years! I graduated from Birmingham Conservatoire, UK a couple years back with a BMus Jazz (hons) degree. I'm playing pretty regularly with all sorts of bands, but am concentrated on my own concept and compositions. You can check out some of my music on my webpage www.nickrundle.com

Was a member here years ago (as in about 10 years ago) but forgot my username, password etc so have re reg'd

Hi, my name is Laura and I've been playing alto saxophone for about 9 years and just recently picked up tenor this year. I'm an undergraduate music major in UC Irvine's jazz program here in southern California. While researching tenors and vintage altos with one of my other sax friends, I got sucked into this amazing website. Glad to finally be part of it!

Hi, I am a new member to this forum. Started playing tenor sax last year and picked up a 1967 Conn 10m and am loving it. Played trumpet from the age of 5 up to the end of high school but then went off to University and didn't play much from that point. I am 35 now and decided I miss playing music but didn't want to go back to the trumpet as my main instrument. Always wanted to try the sax so went to my local music store, found my Conn and signed up for lessons. Loving every minute of it and having a great time getting back into music. Hoping to get good enough eventually to be able to jam in a few gigs with some people from my local music shop and just have a good time.

Thought it was time to join up here on SOTW. Been so busy working, gigging, and rehearsing, it's been nice to sit and browse SOTW for some relax time! I was raised in a musical family, with my mom and dad being public school music teachers. Mom started me on piano at 3, i took formal lessons for 14 years. Started Tenor sax in 5th grade, and have never quit either instrument. Put myself thru college on a jazz scholarship, even though i majored pre med (by my folks encouragement) Now with a masters in PT for 16 years, my career has simply financed my music. I have always had several bands that play on weekends, mostly funk bands with horns, and a jazz fusion quartet. I was a private instructor for awhile on the side. I also write and record in my home studio, and LOVE creating my own music. I am currently on a M VII, M177kkk serial #, and have played the @#$% out of this selmer. Can use my Runyon quantum m.p. for rock/funk cutting bright tone and my Vandoren blue jazz m.p. for warm classic tone. I am considering a Thai tenor for a backup, as i am not going to fork out the $$$ for a M VI. I am open to feedback form any of you on Barone, PM, TK, Kessler. Keep in mind, i am looking for the M VI sound in my backup. thanks!
    find me and my music on FB. Timothy Broadbent-Goodsax music LLC or at timmyb.home.mchsi.com

Default Re : Re: SOTW new member introductions, 2012

Hi everybody,
    I am saxophonist since 4 years, playing alto and tenor. We started a S.A.T.B=>A quartet this year.
    I am happy to join the site !

Default Re: Re : Re: SOTW new member introductions, 2012

Hi everyone, I'm a relatively new sax player (about 12 months) after borrowing a friend's Buffet Alto and discovering that I enjoyed it a lot! It's certainly easier to learn than flugel, which has been one of my other instruments for about 6 years now. I've migrated from the alto to tenor (who wants to transpose to both Eb and Bb ?!) and am making do on a Jupiter 687 for now (w/ Warburton J-series 0.095 mp). I gig around Sydney, mainly as a singer in a jazz trio/quartet, with a bit of flugelling; would be nice to get the sax to a level where I could gig confidently with it. Check me out at www.swingingoodtime.com!
    Cheers, Paul : )

Default Re: Re : Re: SOTW new member introductions, 2012

hello SOTW.

huertox [NEW ORLEANS, LA]

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast