P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011

Thread: SOTW new member introductions, 2012 Jan - March

Default Re: SOTW new member introductions, 2012

Hello folks-I finally jumped in after lurking off and on over the past few months. I've been playing and performing for over 50 years and am proud to say I bought my Mark VI tenor brand new in 1966. I also have its baby brother 1968 Mark VI alto and a Yamaha YSS-875 soprano to complete the stable. What a great group you guys are!! Thanks for your wisdom.

Finally a member after reading many posts. I am alto player as well as an educaor with a passion for free improv. Main reason in joining was to sell my mark vi alto which is currently in the marketplace. Also like the resource of many minds and differing opinions which is fun to read.

Default Re: Re : Re: SOTW new member introductions, 2012

Hi, my name is Scott Paddock and I just joined SOTW. I'm a professional saxophone player in the Baltimore area. Not sure what took me so long to join as I have been reading the posts for years. Anyway, here is a short 30 second video of me playing if you want to check it out. www.youtu.be/yJO0y7M2niU

Hello everyone. I've been playing alto for 5 years and bari for about a year now. Had experience in different ensembles including a local big band and a quartet that I started with some friends. Looking forward to getting more involved with a website that I have been reading for awhile now.

Hello everyone,

I've been peeking at SOTW for a while now and finally became a member.
    I'm the saxophone professor at Columbus State University in Columbus, GA and I'm starting a new event in October called ISSAC (International Saxophone Symposium And Competition).
    Please check out the website: columbusstate.edu/issac
    You may also "like" ISSAC on Facebook:http://tinyurl.com/8ycdtsf
    And you can follow ISSAC on Twitter: ISSACsaxophone
    Cheers!

I'm a new member -- today. An American woman living in Ethiopia. I'm an amateur, but studied clarinet in NYC w Lennie Tristano, 1964-8.

I got to the forum via a review posted by saxoholic abt Buffet Crampon's series 400 Alto saxophones. I'm trying to find out if my instrument is a Series 100 or 400, and what it is worth.

Hi
    Je suis un francophone du Québec, fier et content de l'être. )
    I'm a french spoken guy from Quebec, living nearby Quebec city, playing sax since I'm 15, it means 40 years of up and down playing. I'm not a pro, just doing it for fun, and my fun is a long last one *-)
    I also play flute and clarinet, and guitar, and a little bit of keyboard.
    I recently owned the Lafleur bari sax previously owned by jojocat, member of that forum. I play soprano, alto, tenor and now bari.
    I'm looking for a bass clarinet, if I ever get a chance on it, maybe a trade for a good electric guitar and amp.
    I was on this forum as a guest before...

Salut dowvid, welcome to the forum - Don't forget to check-out SOTW's French speaking section - It is a bit quiet over there but you'll find there are quite a few Québécois on the forum.
    Kim
    SOTW Administrator

Hello all!

I have been playing the sax for about 7 years, and am glad to be a part of SOTW finally!

Hello all!

I have been playing the sax for about 7 years, and am glad to be a part of SOTW finally!

Hello, I'm David and I play the alto. This forum is very informative!

Hi,
    I am the father of a high school sax player and have been visiting the forums for a couple of years gleaning information on which saxes to purchase along the journey from beginner to player. I joined SOTW to sell sell our first two saxes that SOTW helped us pick out. Yamaha YAS-52, Selmer AS-500 Aristocrat. I will post at Horns for sale when I get some pics. Glad to join the community as you've helped out a lot.

thanks, Sax Dad

Hi, Taffer!

Hi. I haven't posted any info yet, but I've been playing the saxophone for 49 years. I'm not a pro, but I have a huge collection of saxophone, some great and some total junk.
    You're probably not going to want to hear this, but renting is very expensive money down a rathole. It's mostly for school age beginners with non-musical parents who are not sure whether they would continue. If you bought a used sax, you could always sell it later if it doesn't work out. Sopranos are a specialty--no one is going to rent you a really good horn. I have a Taiwanese piece of junk that a couple of decades old, and it's really difficult to play in tune. One thing you should definitely know-- don't play a soprano sax with the stock mouthpiece. It will sound like a fish horn. Buy the absolute best horn you can (get a good one used) or you will probably be doomed to disappointment.

Hello: New to the forum, but gray on the head. I played professionally back in the sixties, had an accident that messed up my hands and never played again. I was in a shop the other day and bought an early Buescher (79931) alto and I am wondering if it is worth the trouble from a quality of tone point of view to do a refurb. Pads are shot, some springs are weak and all the cork needs replacing. The horn is dirty but beautiful and it looked lonesome so I bought it. I need advice from someone who knows the horns. Is this worth a redo (might try it myself) or should i hang it on a wall and buy a Martin? I'm looking for a sweet low tone. Yeah, the barri is sweet and low, but I had to rescue this alto. Thanks!

Hi, I'm Bill and I'm a saxophone player... (this is a support group, right?). I picked up a horn about 2 1/2 yrs ago after a 30 year hiatus and fell in love. It started playing in my 8th grade son's middle school pit band of Guys and Dolls. Re-learning to read music was one hell of a lot harder than I figured it would be - I must've killed too many brain cells in college. Had so much fun that I formed a horn section and we now gig with an R&B band playing morotwn, blues brothers, and current dance tunes (two out of three ain't bad for somebody my age).
    I ended up buying and refurbing an early 70's M12 Bari. I now have a 1958 Evette-Scheaffer alto (pre/early SDA - design looks like Malerne) that gives me this full bodied low end that has replaced what I used to get in marriage (22 years now).
    I've been reading the forum for 1-2 years, and now I'm jumping in. Glad to be part of this collective. Peace out.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011