• Eric Falcon

3 2.54%
  • Other (please specify in thread)

33 27.97%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite mouthpiece refacer

Distinguished SOTW Member JackLi's Avatar

Default Your favorite mouthpiece refacer

I'm just curious, not trying to argue who's better. I'm just wondering who do you like more and why.

Please don't just post a name, give a reason to why is he your favorite. Did the facing curve match your playing style more? did he do some amazing work that just blew your mind. And to your best estimate how much resistance do you like? (I know this is extremely subjective but, it's definitely a factor for me)

I tried to put in the most typical names I see on the forum. And yes this is limited to those that are CURRENTLY doing work.

EDIT: For those that don't see the name of their favorite refacer on there please vote other and chime in on the thread! I tried placing more names but the poll limits the maximum amount of ten choices.
    Last edited by JackLi; 01-02-2012 at 12:35 AM. Reason: explanation on limit of names
    Flute: Di Zhao 700, 14K Gold Riser
    Alto: Selmer Ref54, MACSAX B.Sheppard MKI 7, Ishimori (GP) Lig. Vandoren V12 3
    Tenor: Yamaha 82Z, MACSAX B.Sheppard MKII CR8*, Silverstein Lig. Rico Select Jazz 3H Filled or Rico Royal 3.5

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar

Default Re: Your favorite mouthpiece refacer

I can certainly vouch for Morgan Fry's work, but I'm surprised you haven't included Ed Pillinger or Phil Barone.

Distinguished SOTW Member nitrosax's Avatar

These are all refacers of excellent repute...I`ve dealt with Ed Zentera and Brian Powell and they were both extremely professional and did great work for me. I`ve also played tons of Ted Klum refaced mouthpieces here in Tokyo--They all played really well--great looking work.

For me, the most important things I look for in a refacer are; experience, great communication, accessibility (wait times) and overall professionalism. These things become even more important when trying to narrow in on the specifics of what you are looking for in a mouthpiece from a distance/via mail. It also helps when the refacer is somewhat of an accomplished player...

John Reilly, John Yoakum, Bob Carpenter, Joe Soprano Planet, Bob Scott, Phil Englemann, Mark Spencer and Norbert Stachel are some others you missed...

Just my two cents...

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Here in Europe I've been very happy with the work of Morgan Fry.
    Tenor:
    Selmer Mark VI, Ted Klum Focustone Solid Silver Handcrafted 0.108" mpc, Rigotti Gold 3M reeds, Marc Jean ligature

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2012

For me it's hard to pick a "favorite" because there's a difference between a person whose work I'd want on a mouthpiece and the person to whom I would send a mouthpiece for work. For instance, if someone is selling a mouthpiece and they say it was refaced by EZ, I consider that to be a big plus. But I've tried to contact Ed Zentera on three separate occasions to get work done on a mouthpiece, and he only emailed back once. The other two times my requests to get work done were ignored. Similarly, if someone is selling a mouthpiece refaced by Adam Niewood, I'm very interested. But I contacted him once and he said that if I sent him a mouthpiece, it would take at least six months to get it back. So I had someone else do the work. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the people whose refacing work I value the most aren't necessarily the people I would send my mouthpiece to if I wanted to have some work done on it.

Phil Engelman of Phil-Tone should be on every short list. He makes great players at reasonable prices and is very easy to work with. He is a top notch guy all around.

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2011

these refacers are excellent. Ive dealt with EZ and played pieces by powell and Mojo (all decent playing mouthpieces) but the best pieces Ive played have all been original and untampered with . EZ actually worked miracles with a blue jumbo alto that was destroyed.He expertly brought it back to life.Some refacers have actually made some of my pieces worse!So I dont go to refacers anymore. Some guys believe in it but I really dont unless I have totally damaged a good mouthpiece and needed a repair or biteplate.One big name owner of a mouthpiece company/refacer actually ruined a great meyer piece for me by installing a huge permanent baffle that made it virtually unplayable! I asked him if he played it and he said "oh I dont play alto" that was the last time I went to one for help. Most (not all)of the guys that reface are marginal players for some reason and they go by making it look good .But to me playability is another thing.....

I don't have experience with the whole list so I'll decline on picking a favorite.

The two enduring mouthpieces for my tenor sax were done by Ed Zentera (Morgan 3C opened to .088 before Ralph was offering a 6C) and Juan Caino (completely transformed a Vandoren V16 to .122).

I treasure those.
    Go for The Tone,

g

"When you are doing well, don't forget to do good." - Sichan Siv.

Here's a similar thread if you want more replies:

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthr...-refacer-maker
    Alto: YAS-23, Jody Jazz HR* 6M, Legere Signature 3 or RJS 3S

Forum Contributor 2014

The only one I've dealt with is Eric F. I gave him a modern OL STM NY which was squeaking to "fix". Besides fixing, we discussed the option of modifying it to sound more "vintage" (as described at the Warburton's web page). The mouthpiece definitely sounds and respond as described beforehand. Very professional, very fast (took him less than a week or so).

In a specialty where experIence is the primary criteria, an art/science which is perhaps the ultimate learned skill, Phil Barone would be my choice, hands down.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Distinguished SOTW Technician BOPITY FUNK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by clarnut View Post
    Phil Engelman of Phil-Tone should be on every short list. He makes great players at reasonable prices and is very easy to work with. He is a top notch guy all around.
    Ditto to that

Distinguished SOTW Member Captain Beeflat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Thomas View Post
    I can certainly vouch for Morgan Fry's work, but I'm surprised you haven't included Ed Pillinger or Phil Barone.
    Some years ago I asked Doc. Pilliger to make me a reproduction of a Slant Sig.
    He sent me two, & asked me to return the one I least preferred....surely above & beyond usual customer service.
    A difficult choice....they were both superb.
    Experience is an excellent school....but the fees are high.

Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011

In my experience, Ted Klum, because nobody else understands saxophone mouthpieces to such a detailed level, and can execute things with such fine precision time after time. Nothing plays as well as Ted's work, and anymore who has played lots of his work would say the same thing.

There have been some unbelievable pieces made by lots of different guys, but they are never consistently great - which proves a certain lack of awareness to the variables. Ted does twice the work than anybody else does, whilst taking a fraction of the material off. The thing is, there are more pieces out there (at different price levels) done by other guys who do decent work, and people take a risk on the name they have experience with. Having owned LOTS of refaced mouthpieces (and worked with pretty much all of the refacers out there), I can say that nobody does it as well as Ted.

I've also never played a piece with the TK signature that wasn't incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Thomas View Post
    I would of Pete, but the poll only gave me a maximum of ten slots, so I added in the others feature to give other people who have had work done by other refacers a chance to chime in
    Tenor: Yamaha 82Z, MACSAX B.Sheppard MKII CR8*, Silverstein Lig. Rico Select Jazz 3H Filled or Rico Royal 3.5

Quote Originally Posted by nitrosax View Post

John Reilly, John Yoakum, Bob Carpenter, Joe Soprano Planet, Bob Scott, Phil Englemann, Mark Spencer and Norbert Stachel are some others you missed...

Just my two cents...
    Thanks for the response nitrosax, I only had the maximum room of ten slots and I couldn't add more names so I put up the others function to let other people voice there opinions on the other refacers

Doc Tenney and John Reilly should be included, too.
    Sound guy theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- 3dB)
    Sax player theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- .010" at the tip)
    "Free jazz is the vegemite of the musical world. It's an acquired taste."-J. Jacques

My vote would be Sakshama a really brilliant guy to deal with who turns out top notch work!

I don't feel qualified to vote with only one refaced piece, but Erik G did a great job on my link. Nice guy and nice player!

Quote Originally Posted by BOPITY FUNK View Post
    Ditto to that
    Quote Originally Posted by clarnut View Post
    Yeah I've had amazing experience with Phil as well he does great work, cheap, and has a great turnaround time. And guys I've really tried to put more names but the poll wouldn't let me.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast