P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Playing large vs medium chamber jazz pieces

Default Playing large vs medium chamber jazz pieces

As an intermittent player, I strive to have a more consistently good sound (focused, centered) throughout all registers. Lately, I've been bouncing back and forth between a large chamber (Saxscape FatCat similar to Link Reso-Chamber) and medium chamber (Berg Larsen 10?-1-m).

Not sure if this is a common perception, but it feels like the medium chamber is generally easier to get a consistent sound throughout the horn. It's not a big a sound as I would favor, but it is a nice darkish tone.

When I get on the larger chamber mouthpiece the general sound is nice. Still dark, fairly even. Maybe a little touchier in the low register, not quite as consistent overall. But, when I really push it (esp. with a little harder reeed/resistance) it feels great. Seems to come alive as far as a more vibrant, complex, and fat sound.

I'm curious, what other experiences are with respect to playing on larger vs medium chamber pieces.

a couple examples...i can tell the mic is abit further away in this first one.
    Saxscape
    Serenity-large chamber(sounds like reed starting to fade a bit here)

Berg Larsen
    All of Me
    Alto: YAS23, Greg Wier NY 6m
    Tenor: Selmer (Elkhart) 164, Saxscape FatCat Proto
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...bandID=1122869

Default Re: Playing large vs medium chamber jazz pieces

I went from a medium/small chamber JJDV to a large chamber Durga. I tend to agree with your observations. The JJDV was much more forgiving and easier to make a consistent sound. The Durga is less forgiving and requires a more disciplined mouth, but I think it's worth it for the big, fat sound that comes out of it. The larger chamber seems to be more versatile as well.
    Horns: 1951 Selmer SBA Tenor, Handmade Guardala MBI; CE Winds Artist Series DS Baritone, Dukoff D7; CE Winds Omega Curved Soprano, Barone Vintage HR, Akai EWI 4000S

Well, I hear a big difference baffle height, I think. The Berg is much warmer than the Saxscape to me- which might be counter to normal logic (as I understand it...) which is larger chamber is less focused. The Berg sort of has the core with enough "around it" to make it richer.. my preference. I agree with EKD overall.

Distinguished SOTW Member Honeyboy's Avatar

I think in this particular case, there are too many variables to make a generalization. If you were comparing two Bergs, one with a /1 chamber compared to a 2 or 3 chambered Berg of the same tip opening, assuming they were both made equally well, then you might come up with some kind of conclusion. You have a Berg with the 2nd highest baffle they make which probably effects the tone more than the size or shape of the chamber. I will say that my 115/0 Berg has a brighter, thinner sound than my 130/2 Berg- both perfected by Mojo. However, the tip size may also enter into the formula.
    When I compare my Berg 130/2 with my STM link 7*(larger rounded chamber), you can tell which is a Link and which is the Berg. The Link is spread down low and brighter, thinner on top. The Berg is thick all the way through- more even and focused as you say. But this may be just a difference in design or peculiar to these individual pieces. I have played Link style, large chambered mouthpieces which stay pretty thick and focused all the way through like my Berg.
    11th Commandment: Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's axe.

appreciate the insights guys, many thanks!

For me, this isn't a which mpc is better proposition. I think both have their place, and reed selection is important with both. Fwiw, the general consensus has been a preference to the Berg sound. Glad I kept that around, I've had that since the early 1980s (it's more open now, was originally 90-1-m).

Shawn
    Alto: YAS23, Greg Wier NY 6m
    Tenor: Selmer (Elkhart) 164, Saxscape FatCat Proto
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...bandID=1122869