P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: What appears to be a Vito 35 on ebay...

Default What appears to be a Vito 35 on ebay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VITO-ALTO-SA...item5ae2038341

Judging by the shape of the front F, the three arms on the upper F key cup and the high F#. Not exactly a steal, especially without any indication whatsoever of whether the horn is actually playable...
    Last edited by rhythmisking; 12-29-2011 at 08:09 PM. Reason: oops, forgot the link
    What I play is more important than what I play.

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar

Default Re: What appears to be a Vito 35 on ebay...

yes, it is a model 35.

let me say , although that that one is not mine but why do you consider it expensive? How much would you actually pay for a horn so special as this ? Only a couple of thousands were made ( opinions diverge on the exact number) and very few are in general available. Even if needing work, I think the price is more than fair.

Forum Contributor 2014

While it's an admirable system- one I personally find very useful- and a darned shame it's largely been consigned to the dustbin of sax history; it's been largely consigned to the dustbin of history.

The going rate for a playable one in decent shape appears to be in the $600.00 range based upon my observations. This one appears to be pretty steeply priced to me as well. It needs "new pads and corks" and is hardly pristine (though even factory fresh engraving on the 35's is pretty faint and often looks like a relaq, so that may not be an issue). Fluid market though, and if you really want one you might well have to wait.

The LeBlanc models- zippier engraving and the locknut and adjusting screw system instead of simply corked adjutments, but otherwise about identical (including, IMHO, in all aspects of playing characteristics)- go for quite a bit more just based upon rarity.

That's a good question Milandro. I think for one in halfway-decent playing condition (needing regulation, maybe a pad or two but nothing extensive) $800 isn't a bad price; but considering this seller is an instrument dealer who does list playability factors in their other instrument listings, but which are conspicuously absent in this one, seems to indicate that it either doesn't play or perhaps that they don't know. That leads me to think that the price was based solely on it's rarity, but that doesn't really make sense either because they don't seem to even know it's a 35 and so much rarer than other French Vitos. They noticed the high F# but none of the other oddities these horns have -they just thing it's a French Vito with a high F#...

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Maybe they read this website because the price just got lowered. I agree, it looks like a re-lacquer has been done.
    Life is too short for long tones

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar

As I often say the price of any antique or collectable is purely based on how much someone is prepared to pay for an item and how willing the owner is to part with it.
    Moreover, what's considered to be a fair price here might not be considered equally fair there and vice-versa.
    Quote Originally Posted by soybean View Post
    Maybe they read this website because the price just got lowered. I agree, it looks like a re-lacquer has been done.
    the price was already lowered before this thread appeared, they are having some sort of sale.

Forum Contributor 2014

Quote Originally Posted by milandro View Post
    As I often say the price of any antique or collectable is pure based on how much someone is prepared to pay for an item and how willing the owner is to part with it...
    Very true.

Forum Contributor 2013

I have bought these for around $350 to $450 with original pads in good condition. So I agree $800 seems high. I have also had good experience buying from this ebay vendor before. I think Jaysf (he has modified his handle and I can't recall it off the top of my head) bought a silver plated vito model 35 from them.

Forum Contributor 2012

JayePDX

$450 for one in playing shape was an absolute steal.

I remember back in '09 these went for around $1000 in great shape, about $800 in good used shape.

I have purchased a lot of horns from this seller and they are straight-up...and I add that I cannot recollect many which didn't need a fair amount of work; but all were already described as such. I still consider them good sellers. So if they say "will be good playing after new pads" one can safely assume it'll need a fair # of new pads.

So if that's the case, then I agree that in our new and permanently choking world economy....$750 is too much of an asking price. 3 years ago, it would not have been at all...
    Go for the Old-Skool, homies. www.2ndending.com

# 390338937665 (the subject of this thread) went for $400.
    # 140786285391 Leblanc System Alto went for $500.
    # 190697917683 Leblanc System Alto (mentioned elsewhere = relacquer) went for $510.
    # 130717044829 Vito 35 went for $306 !!!
    # 120948146695 Vito 35 went for $447.
    # 130752918382 Vito 35 from same seller went for $525.
    # 300765946432 Vito 35 went for $375.
    # 251137560068 Leblanc System Alto went for $450. [It seems these 'sleepers' have yet to re-awaken]. If you can't wait, there are at least 2x current offerings:-
    # 320969184024 Vito 35 BIN $599 12 hours to go;
    # 230840717892 Vito 35 BIN $549 (or Offer) 20 days to go........

FWIW The Leblanc alto #140786285391 isn't a Model 100 ("System" alto), it's a 'regular' (non-system) Leblanc alto. They made both styles concurrently. I also have my doubts about the last Vito (230840717892). There are a couple of details which make the System style horns easy to spot; namely the 3 arms above the upper F key cup and the strange angle of the bell key rods. The high F# (removed) is also sometimes present on the regular Leblanc altos and isn't always present on the system horns, so that in and of itself isn't indicative of a System horn. I think it's strange that out of all the pics of that last horn, they managed to artfully avoid showing the two areas that would positively identify it as a Vito 35.

The way I determine whether it is 'regular' or 'System' Vito/Leblanc is by the different shape of their G# cluster keys, and the addition of an extra tone hole just below the lower D key ONLY seen on the 'System' models (?) Therefore, I stand by my previous post. What does anyone else think ?... [What ? No-one thought more of # 320969184024 than $305.00 ? (Not sold). That seems a bit insulting to the breed, but shows that now might be a good time to get in on the 'System' market]...

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009 warp x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rhythmisking View Post
    I also have my doubts about the last Vito (230840717892). There are a couple of details which make the System style horns easy to spot; namely the 3 arms above the upper F key cup and the strange angle of the bell key rods. The high F# (removed) is also sometimes present on the regular Leblanc altos and isn't always present on the system horns, so that in and of itself isn't indicative of a System horn. I think it's strange that out of all the pics of that last horn, they managed to artfully avoid showing the two areas that would positively identify it as a Vito 35.
    It's a 35. Just look at the extra Eb tone hole, G# cluster, G# cup on the back of the horn. To my knowlegde the High F# is not present on other horns as a LH palm key.

Forum Contributor 2014

Here's a clearly mis-identified horn; http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leblanc-Vito...item27ca774ede

Far more likely to be simple ignorance rather than any attempt at fraud. Hopefully the buyer, if any, isn't equally ill informed.

I stand corrected :-)

These really are great horns. My alto has usurped the MKVII I've had since the seventies to become my main alto now. The Selmer is more comfy to be sure, but the Leblanc's playability, intonation and literally effortless altissimo make it a better playing horn.