Sax on the Web Forum banner

Anyone using the "stock" Barone piece?

4K views 17 replies 17 participants last post by  Currawong 
#1 ·
What do people think about the HR Barone Vintage piece that comes with the horn?

#2 ·
I'm using that piece on my Barone Vintage alto. I'm principally a tenor player and I'm very picky about my tenor sound. On alto I'm happy to make any sound at all. The stock piece does the job OK for me. I'm certainly not looking to go down the same mouthpiece road on alto!

#4 ·
I do not play mine, but I found it to be a good all around piece that was smooth and easy to play in all registers...If I had given it more time instead of getting caught up in the mouthpiece shuffle; I probably would have really liked it. Every Saxscape prototype sounded really good too, but I am playing a Barone Hollywood and I love it. I am not going to play anything else for a full year (hopefully more)...I am four months in and it seems to get better daily!

#5 ·
For me, the HR Barone Vintage mouthpiece which came with my Barone soprano is my preferred piece for soprano sax, because it makes the high speak more easier without resorting to using a harder reed, and thus makes the lower end work better for me.

I have never tried any Barone mouthpiece for alto or tenor.

#6 ·
I found my hard rubber vintage tenor piece to be a bit stuffy, so I flipped it in a trade. I later obtained one of Phil's metal Jazz model pieces that I use quite often, because it's more free blowing, but still has a sophisticated core to the sound.

#7 ·
Actually that was quite opposite for me. I bought a metal NY Super Jazz 7* first which and it was a great-sounding mouthpiece for rock and funky stuff. But then I switched to the stock hard-rubber Vintage 7 that came with my classic tenor. I find it more free-blowing coupled with the FL Ultimate lig and it gives a very round creamy and sweet sound, very traditional tenor warm/darker sound and is a fun to play, more free-blowing for me than NYSJ. But to each his own, of course.

#12 ·
This makes 3 for the Barone soprano piece. I now have a Sopranoplanet Missing Link that gives me a sound leaning more to the flute end of the spectrum, but for a more typical sound leaning to the oboe, the stock mouthpiece does great -- easy to play, even across the registers.

The stock tenor piece was pretty good as well, but I ended up with a Super NY and a Lelandais Trompette. Happy now.

#16 ·
I wish I could :(

Bought my Barone from a local store; the owner hard bought one to evaluate it. The mouthpiece however is unplayable, the table is uneven/warped and has marks so it looks like it might have been tempered with. I was very curious to try a Barone mouthpiece so it was a bummer.

My Classic Tenor however is fantastic!

#17 ·
They are the same "Bari and Associates" blank used by Jody Jazz (for the HR*), Peter Ponzol (for the "Vintage" model), Keilwerth, among MANY other names (they make them for people and stamp whatever writing they want). A "stencil" mouthpiece if you will.

They are very similar to a Meyer for tenor.

I haven't really played a bad one, when compared to new Links etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.