P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Vigilante Mouthpieces handmade by Dave Guardala's Ex-Wife

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Default Re: Vigilante Mouthpieces handmade by Dave Guardala's Ex-Wife

Love that photo Paul. The lighting and colors are evocative.

Jenn, i realize you are just getting going on the tenor pieces, but do you have any plans to make a baritone mpc?

Quote Originally Posted by soybean View Post
    Love that photo Paul. The lighting and colors are evocative.

Jenn, i realize you are just getting going on the tenor pieces, but do you have any plans to make a baritone mpc?
    Yes, I definitely plan to make Bari pieces too.

Quote Originally Posted by paultaylor View Post
    I love mine! Vigilante Mouthpieces rock! Much respect and support for Jennifer.

paul
    I really enjoyed making Paul's mouthpiece! He is well known for smooth jazz, but the day he came to my shop there was a lot of Bebop coming out of his horn. I'm happy that he pushed me to make mouthpieces again and gave me the confidence to do the final step and face them. Thanks again Paul!

Default Admin note

I had almost forgotten about this thread, which has been soft deleted while we were investigating a possible case of double identity – Now that we were informed that user Saxylicious is not the same person as Vigilante Mouthpiece but her employee, it is now okay to re-open the thread.

Sorry for the inconveniences and thank you for your understanding.
    Kim
    SOTW Administrator

Default Re: Admin note

Quote Originally Posted by kcp View Post
    I had almost forgotten about this thread, which has been soft deleted while we were investigating a possible case of double identity – Now that we were informed that user Saxylicious is not the same person as Vigilante Mouthpiece but her employee, it is now okay to re-open the thread.

Sorry for the inconveniences and thank you for your understanding.
    Kim I have amazing amount of gratitude and respect for you Harri and all the SOTW staff for keeping an eye out for everyone while keeping peace around the world. Not an easy job! I also highly recommend anyone who has not had the pleasure of viewing Kim's art work, please do so she is an amazing artist and I especially love the logo you made for this site! Over the top! Thanks again for all you do!

Thank you. I got the email you sent via my website's email sending form. I meant to thank you earlier for your compliments, but I didn't email back because that would have been inappropriate at the time and might have made things look like I'm inclined to accept compliments as bribery.

Also, lately I have been making an effort to keep my personal life and personal email separate from SOTW as much as possible. Too many creeps lurking around!
    Kim
    SOTW Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Vigilante Mouthpiece View Post
    If anyone is interested in working on one of their own old pieces I have an idea for this and about this. The inserts which I use are made from denture material. It is a powder and a liquid it's really nasty stuff to work with however, it will not poison you. Any dental supply place has it available. Anyway, you could take an old link or something else and pour this into the chamber wait for it to cure and then dremmel or file away, if you don't like how it turns out just freeze the piece then run a little cool water on it and this insert should pop out. I have been wanting to try this with plastic however I have not done so and don't know how the plastic will react to this chemical, I know it is fine on brass. If you decide to do this make sure you clean the piece really well so it will stick and also maybe put a few fine scratches into the bore for extra sticking power. Don't do this if you like your mouthpiece, this should only be done on an old piece which you would like to experiment with.

The more I work with the dental material the more I realize how difficult of a material it is to deal with. Make sure when you mix it that you don't stir it too much as it creates bubbles. Also I have a machine which the denture place uses for the bubble problem, it's a vibrating table, it was around $120.00 I put cardboard on it and separate pockets so the MPs don't scratch each other. Most bubbles come out, however I still get a few. You can add more denture material over on top to fill the bubbles. If you make something that is a success, please share it with me! Happy MP making!

Quote Originally Posted by Vigilante Mouthpiece View Post

The more I work with the dental material the more I realize how difficult of a material it is to deal with. Make sure when you mix it that you don't stir it too much as it creates bubbles. Also I have a machine which the denture place uses for the bubble problem, it's a vibrating table, it was around $120.00 I put cardboard on it and separate pockets so the MPs don't scratch each other. Most bubbles come out, however I still get a few. You can add more denture material over on top to fill the bubbles. If you make something that is a success, please share it with me! Happy MP making!
    You can draw a low vacuum on it to pull the bubbles out - we use such a system in my field to prepare pucks of epoxy and similar mixtures.
    Go for The Tone,

g

As a veteran for peace, I am already against the next war.

Another few days and i'll have my new Vigilante NY in my mouth,yeee ha i say.
    Wedding Solo Saxophone Player For Hire www.smoothsaxsounds.com
    www.youtube.com/saxdaveboy www.soundcloud.com/daveysax1 Tenor Rampone Cazzani AGU XX Neck,Vigilante NY Mp, Soprano Elkhart Deluxe,PPT 8 mp, Alto MK1 62 ,Java A45 mp, www.facebook.com/thedandbjazzproject?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr G View Post
    You can draw a low vacuum on it to pull the bubbles out - we use such a system in my field to prepare pucks of epoxy and similar mixtures.
    Dr.G do you think it would work on the inserts as I pour the insert much higher and then grind and file down. I wish I could see exactly how you do it as this step just seems to take forever. On Borganiboys MP I poured it three times each time grinding it down, took forever to get it right. I think the pink was way more forgiving a color. The dental place had sparkles which I may look into, but I don't want it to look cheesy. I really do like the look of the white insert but I may change it up. Thanks for the suggestion. IDK if you have pictures of this process but I would love to see it Thanks so much, Jen

I finally cleared up the insert problem and have gone to using a black with gold sparkle denture material it's way more friendly then white. I also tried white with gold sparkle I love the look of that also but it too was hard to deal with. This past year has been really fun and I appreciate all the AMAZING saxophonists which I have met and had the pleasure of working with!

Jennifer, I see that I missed your question. Here's a setup similar to what I use in the lab:

http://www.abbess.com/vacuum/Kit-united

If you can find a used mechanical roughing pump at an industrial reuse seller, you'll be set.
    Go for The Tone,

g

As a veteran for peace, I am already against the next war.

Thanks so much Dr. G! This looks interesting, I will definately check it out!

I proudly play Vigilante Mouthpieces. I play the Hollywood and the NY. I support Jennifer and her work. These mouthpieces are top quality and they play very nice.
    I am in process to purchase more styles like the NYII and others. I am headed to CA to try more styles. If you have not played one of these find one and try it.

Forum Contributor 2013

Just added the complete line of Vigilante mouthpieces to my offering. I currently have 9 of the 10 tenor models in stock. Also have one of the bari pieces. I'm in the process of having Greg Vail do reviews and sound clips on all of the models. Look for that on the website very soon. Will also be publishing more photos with the reviews. Gorgeous work and exciting new mouthpieces!

For a short time as these are introduced on the site, I am offering a 10% discount! Don't miss out.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    MA(temp) from VA from MD from NY from FL from NJ from MI from CA from MA from FRG from PA from...

...so last year they were $450, and now they're $675???
    64K Tenor - FocusTone Standard .105
    "A loud mistake is better than nothing." -WD

Forum Contributor 2013

I would ask that question directly to Jenn. I don't know what the prices where previously, but can say that I have been discussing this with Vigilante since November 2012 and finalized our partnership the week of NAMM. From my side, the prices I publish online are based on those set up and published by Vigilante.

Distinguished SOTW Member Woody Reed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saxmanjack View Post
    ...so last year they were $450, and now they're $675???
    Don't want to speak for Jenn, but....... It was my understanding that the $450 was an "introductory" price. Kind of makes sense so she could introduce her line of mouthpieces. Based upon what mouthpieces are going for in the market place and the quality of her work, I'd say $675 is the right price. She makes amazing hand made pieces.

Forum Contributor 2011 Call Me Rockstar's Avatar

Just found this thread-

I met Jenn at NAMM last month and, sadly, was unable to test out her Bari piece due to my friend taking the one from our booth to his gig. BUT they are very nice and, as I told her, I am very interested to take a test drive on one sometime soon.
    Ive been on the hunt, trying out different bari pieces periodically this year. I dont play it as much as I used to, but dang, you just want that piece in the case that really WORKS, you know?!

Plus- What a nice lady, y'all! She was very helpful and gave me a really nice rundown of the gear!

Anyhow, those folks I did hear trying out the pieces sounded really nice on them. I REALLY wish I'd have been able to try the tenor pieces as well, but time simply got away from me at NAMM... If you have been, you know!

Looking forward to reading more about the Vigilante lines!
    "It is good that war is so terrible, else we would grown too fond of it."
    Gen. Robert E. Lee at the Battle of Fredericksburg, VA. 1862.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast