P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I have a problem with high school players

Quote Originally Posted by hakukani

Those who can't teach try to teach teachers how to teach.
    If you mean school administrators, then I agree. Quite a few, not all, administrators I have worked for were either unsuccessful teachers or didn't teach long enough to really know what they were doing in the classroom.

Forum Contributor 2013
    Distinguished SOTW Member

Default Re: I have a problem with high school players

Started watching a few of these kids auditions. This one stood out to me... his playing is great (especially for his age), but that's not what tickled me on it... there's just something about the whole thing that is delightful. The way it's shot, his expression, the contrast of his size vs the horn... fantastic watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyePHJ2u-fE
    Disclaimer: My opinions are not based in any way on research, knowledge, experience, talent, insight, facts, or in some cases reality. Take any advice I offer at your own risk.

A few of Pete's recordings: Check it Out!

i figured that might bother a few of the teachers out there but it works that way in a lot of professions. In all cases its not true but its true often enough to mention. ive known some teachers that teach for job security. I have known a few that just like to help the students but its very few. my thesis adviser was the one who told me the saying he also told me universities existed for the teachers not the students for the most part. the strange thing about this is that i think he really did care about helping the students. he liked the security of a job teaching as well as teaching i think. i dont blame him a bit.

Im not sure who he thinks is telling the teachers how to teach though. my take on teachers is: choose one you think you can learn something from, do what they say until you think you've got all you can from them, then move on to the next. Its not worth bothering to try to change that ego most teachers have. just move on.

i saw a post a couple of months ago that made me think we wouldnt be hearing from 'hack you can i' but seems he is an administrator on the forum. go figure

im a high school player just starting into "true" jazz studies with my private teacher...I think the problem is that most teachers in public schools aren't jazz players and don't develop improvisation skills. As much as I love my band teacher, shes a french horn player and certainly not qualified to lead the jazz band...:/

Forum Contributor 2013 AcidRa1n's Avatar

I laughed at all the highschool haters. Highschool players rock! I dont find my self stuck. I always open my mind to new things. Plus, I mean it's kinda hard not to play other peoples licks especially if their old and famous and you listen to them alot..
    I find myself lucky to have a hard Chicago trumpet player as a teacher. When my solo is getting good he screams '' yeah! '' an it drives me to become better.

Quote Originally Posted by SactoPete View Post
    Started watching a few of these kids auditions. This one stood out to me... his playing is great (especially for his age), but that's not what tickled me on it... there's just something about the whole thing that is delightful. The way it's shot, his expression, the contrast of his size vs the horn... fantastic watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyePHJ2u-fE
    That really is great playing. Forget his age, that's just making good music right there. Thoughtful, expressive. He seemed very comfortable.

-Bubba-

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123