Antigua Winds

Default Selmer Mark VI Reviewed w/ Sound Clips

Well, I realized this horn didn't really need more exposure or to be reviewed, but I couldn't help myself.

Link to the review - http://everythingsaxophone.blogspot....-reviewed.html
    New Book - A Complete Approach to Overtones: Vivid Sound and Extended Range - Learn more here. Get it on Amazon or get it as a digital Ebook.
    www.everythingsaxophone.blogspot.com - blog on sax technique, jazz improvisation, and reviews.

Distinguished SOTW Member

Default Re: Selmer Mark VI Reviewed w/ Sound Clips

Preachin' to the choir, brother.
    64K Tenor - FocusTone Standard .105
    Results not typical

I've never had the pleasure of playing one. Would really like the opportunity to do so. Anyone in the Tampa Bay area have one I could try out?
    Ska Ska Ska Ska Ska

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2010 magical pig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by buddy lee View Post
    I've never had the pleasure of playing one. Would really like the opportunity to do so. Anyone in the Tampa Bay area have one I could try out?
    You can probably find a store with a few of them in your area, can't you?

Ben, even on the recording the difference is obvious. I'm glad you're happy with your new horn.

Quote Originally Posted by magical pig View Post
    You can probably find a store with a few of them in your area, can't you?

Ben, even on the recording the difference is obvious. I'm glad you're happy with your new horn.
    Nope.
    Ska Ska Ska Ska Ska

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Very nice review, Ben. To quote you in your review: "One of the really cool things I have found is no matter what acoustical space I'm playing in or what reed I'm using I feel like I get a full and vibrant tone when listening from behind the horn (while playing)."
    I have the same exact experience with mine. No need to look for a wall to feel how the horn really sounds and responds.
    Tenor:
    Selmer Mark VI, Ted Klum Focustone Solid Silver Handcrafted 0.108" mpc, Rigotti Gold 3M reeds, Marc Jean ligature

Quote Originally Posted by jlima View Post
    Very nice review, Ben. To quote you in your review: "One of the really cool things I have found is no matter what acoustical space I'm playing in or what reed I'm using I feel like I get a full and vibrant tone when listening from behind the horn (while playing)."
    I have the same exact experience with mine. No need to look for a wall to feel how the horn really sounds and responds.
    I totally agree with that. I would add that playing with a hard rubber piece on a VI increases the overall feel and vibrations. Personally, I'm able to feel every note throughout my body with a hard rubber piece. Give it a try (for a week, not just a practice session). And if you feel like you don't get enough projection, try one of the Rice H ligs. That should fix the problem! I put one on my EB 7 and it had more pop and presence than my Lawton.

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Quote Originally Posted by saxyjare01 View Post
    I totally agree with that. I would add that playing with a hard rubber piece on a VI increases the overall feel and vibrations. Personally, I'm able to feel every note throughout my body with a hard rubber piece. Give it a try (for a week, not just a practice session). And if you feel like you don't get enough projection, try one of the Rice H ligs. That should fix the problem! I put one on my EB 7 and it had more pop and presence than my Lawton.
    For me hard rubber or metal don't make any difference in the sound. It's more of a feel factor than anything else. But that's an issue for another thread, I suppose.
    Tenor:
    Selmer Mark VI, Ted Klum Focustone Solid Silver Handcrafted 0.108" mpc, Rigotti Gold 3M reeds, Marc Jean ligature

buddy lee - If you're ever in the Rochester, NY area, I'd be more than happy to let you try mine

Ben - Sounds great, man! What's the serial on yours?
    Selmer Mark VI 141*** tenor; 10mfan Robusto 7* and Rigotti Gold 4M - My Holy Grail Setup!
    https://soundcloud.com/cabe277-1

Quote Originally Posted by magical pig View Post

Ben, even on the recording the difference is obvious.
    Cool. I thought so too.
    New Book - A Complete Approach to Overtones: Vivid Sound and Extended Range - Learn more here. Get it on Amazon or get it as a digital Ebook.
    www.everythingsaxophone.blogspot.com - blog on sax technique, jazz improvisation, and reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by cabe277 View Post

Ben - Sounds great, man! What's the serial on yours?
    Thanks, it's a 98xxx