P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: It's Keilwerth! Could we once and forever stop calling them " Keilworth " ?

Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contributor Jazzaferri's Avatar

Default Re: It's Keilwerth! Could we once and forever stop calling them " Keilworth " ?

I think most of us prefer it when people spell our names correctly.

My aunt lives up in Morecambe and has spent her whole life in NW England and Scotland. When I talk with her it takes me about 30 minutes til I am getting most of the words. LOL WE are supposedly speaking the same language but I sometimes think that up north it becomes almost a dialect.

Pete.... i would have spelled it "wotcher ea'in"

Completely apropos of nothing eh ...... the archetypal Canadian accent is supposed to be in a town named quite aptly "Horsefly"
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar

Default Re: It's Keilwerth! Could we once and forever stop calling them " Keilworth " ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzaferri View Post

Pete.... i would have spelled it "wotcher ea'in"
    Could do, but "wotcher" is ambiguous as it also means "hello, how are you?"

Quote Originally Posted by renman43 View Post
    When in Rome........
    a Conn is still spelled C-O-N-N, which makes it easy for a non-American, non-European Conn-lover like me !

Kenneth
    Charlie Parker, "My clock doesn't work - I don't come on time!"~~~
    Formerly known as Conn1933

Lol Pete. I m beginning to think that the UK does speak a different language. Now I get it. Learn summat new every day

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar

Well, recently I was at a trade fair in Cologne, a visitor from the USA told me that he had a terrible time trying to get a taxi to Bonn.......Because he kept on saying that he had to go to Bahnn! (trying to transliterate the accent) and no taxi driver would understand where he had to go to...

Jazzaferri it is notorious that England and the USA are ‘Two nations separated by a common language.’

The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum Contributor 2014 gary's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by milandro View Post
    Well, recently I was at a trade fair in Cologne, a visitor from the USA told me that he had a terrible time trying to get a taxi to Bonn.......Because he kept on saying that he had to go to Bahnn! (trying to transliterate the accent) and no taxi driver would understand where he had to go to...
    So he took him to Sean Connery's house. (Think about it.)

TK Melody UL soprano
    Selmer S80 Serie II alto
    Julius Keilwerth SX90R tenor

Forum Contributor 2013
    Distinguished SOTW Member

I was at a conference in Japan about 8 yrs ago. We had a table for 15 for dinner at a nice restaurant. It was an international conference and we had people at our table from Germany, Italy, France, Austria, Finland, Japan, Thailand, and probably some other places who all spoke English as a second language (it was the language of the conference). Amid all of the considerable accents and typical difficulties with English grammar, the only two who couldn't understand each other were the native English speakers from Ireland and Scotland. Our attention was drawn to this fact when (after a several libations) the Scotsman slammed his hands on the table and shouted "Wot er ye sayn man?"

And Couf is that pronounced as cough (not that i want to be an interrupter)

Quote Originally Posted by bakkiemetkoekie View Post
    And Couf is that pronounced as cough (not that i want to be an interrupter)
    I guess someone should've told Herb...
    Sound guy theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- 3dB)
    Sax player theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- .010" at the tip)
    "Free jazz is the vegemite of the musical world. It's an acquired taste."-J. Jacques

Yeah it's pretty sad when a guy doesn't know how to pronounce his name

Quote Originally Posted by gary View Post
    So he took him to Sean Connery's house. (Think about it.)
    James Bahnn?

You wouldn’t believe the amount of people whom write Jamaha instead of Yamaha in their ads, and Buffet Grampon Yvette (@@@@@@rghhhh!) , while almost everybody gets Yanagisawa or Gemeinhardt correctly! Go figure!

Kraslice ( Where Amati comes from) also proves to be a big challenge.

Of course the nicest ads are the ones selling “ A saxophone” or “ A flute”.......on the other hand it is way better like that, if that is accurate, than calling an Oboe a clarinet and a sopranino recorder a piccolo or a metal clarinet a soprano sax (and viceversa).
    Every comment that I make on anything only ever represents my personal opinion. I don’t have any universal truth to spread or convey
    Sent from my computer, at home, without advertising on its brand or the programs that it uses.

Distinguished SOTW Member Aldevis's Avatar

It is often werth checking misspelled ads: they can hide good bargains.

noted
    Every comment that I make on anything only ever represents my personal opinion. I don’t have any universal truth to spread or convey
    Sent from my computer, at home, without advertising on its brand or the programs that it uses.

Distinguished SOTW Member mascio's Avatar

i can't believe you revived this thread, it was resting so well in thread heaven.
    Swing hard Daddy-O

Well, , my very good friend from Leghorn, there you go, we all do things that others don’t understand, like, for example, I can’t believe that you have found the will to visit a thread that isn’t of any interest to you...........and yet!

Be well!

Forum Contributor 2013 1953SBAALTO's Avatar

I own one, yet I can't spell Gemeinhardt without looking it up first. Occasionally near me you can find more "saxaphones" than "saxophones" for sale on craigslist. Bargains to be had from people selling like-new horns they bought for their kids who never practiced and promptly quit.
    "It is a question of time, patience, and intelligent work." - Marcel Moyse
    "Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent." - Victor Hugo

Alto: Selmer SBA: Meyer 6M (Phil-Toned)
    Tenor: Selmer Series II: Phil Tone Tribute .110
    Soprano: Selmer Series II Black Lacquer: Theo Wanne Gaia 7
    Bari: No horn yet, but I've got a Link...

yes, we have those who sell or talk about saxafoons and saxefoons in Dutch too.

Quote Originally Posted by milandro View Post
    You wouldn’t believe the amount of people whom write Jamaha instead of Yamaha in their ads, and Buffet Grampon Yvette (@@@@@@rghhhh!) , while almost everybody gets Yanagisawa or Gemeinhardt correctly!
    Google hits:
    "Yanagisawa" = 1,070,000
    "Yanagasawa" = 369,000
    "Yanigisawa" = 221,000
    "Yanigasawa" = 84,400

However, some of the alternative hits are no doubt for similar but distinct names that are correctly spelled.

Of course the nicest ads are the ones selling “ A saxophone”
    "saxophone" = 12,200,000
    "saxaphone" = 3,000,000

sexophone.............= 163.000

famously lots of people came here, on sax on the web, by mistake..........wrong typing!

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast