P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: It's Keilwerth! Could we once and forever stop calling them " Keilworth " ?

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar

Default It's Keilwerth! Could we once and forever stop calling them " Keilworth " ?

I have no idea why even some owners of these saxophones (the non owners at least have the excuse of not being able to READ the damn name on their saxophone!) insist in calling them KEILWORTH...........:tsk:

It is KEILWERTH...., shouldn't be too difficult!

Default Re: It's Keilwerth! Could we once and forever stop calling them " Keilworth " ?

Either spelling can be pronounced the same-at least here in the USA.

Default Re: It's Keilwerth! Could we once and forever stop calling them " Keilworth " ?

I am aware of the intricacies of spelling caused by mispronunciation ( mishearing and misunderstanding) in both BE or AE but still they manage to overcome the problems and don't USUALLY call Selmers Selmars

I know that it is caused, besides laziness, by linguistic or phonetic problem in many languages which contain the sound of the Hebrew letter schwa (represented with a upside-down e)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwa

Forum Contributor 2011
    SOTW's pedantic pet rodent

Yes yes yes. Keilwerth, Keilwerth, Keilwerth..

It's those Americans, milondro, they just can't spell!!!
    "The sound of tireless voices is the price we pay for the right to hear the music of our own opinions."

Quote Originally Posted by RootyTootoot View Post
    Yes yes yes. Keilwerth, Keilwerth, Keilwerth..

It's those Americans, milondro, they just cant spell!!!
    You have no idea of how my surname (that incidentally is not milandro, which is only my moniker ) has been misspelled and mispronounced in the States as well as in other parts of the world.

Distinguished SOTW Member saxpiece's Avatar

For what it's werth, I like Keilworth better

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Kylevert?

And YANAGASAWA?

Is YANAGISAWA!!!!

Distinguished SOTW Member Agent27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by click View Post
    Kylevert?
    Technically the correct pronunciation. Or Kyle-vairt.

Odds on milandro using the "w" and "th" while being outraged but they use of "o/e"?

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012 dexdex's Avatar

Sop Yana SC880 - Vandoren V16 S6 - Fiberreed Carbon Classic MH ¦ Alto SA-II - Meyer 7M - Fiberreed Carbon M
    Tenor MkVII - Link STM 8* - Fiberreed Carbon M ¦ Bari SA-II - JJ ESP 7* - Fiberreed Carbon M
    Hear them on The Groove Merchant.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent27 View Post
    Technically the correct pronunciation. Or Kyle-vairt.

Odds on milandro using the "w" and "th" while being outraged but they use of "o/e"?
    ???

Distinguished SOTW Member Agent27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by milandro View Post
    ???
    If you use the "w" sound instead of a "v" sound and a "th" instead of a hard "T", you're still pronouncing it wrong. I'd just find it amusing if you were chastising people for saying "worth" instead of "werth" while still not pronouncing the word correctly.

FWIW, I know how it's properly pronounced but almost never say it that way because it's pronounced differently in common usage and it's easier to go with the flow that to constantly try to correct people.

A clue: as they are built like trucks, maybe we associate them with KenwOrth ?
    Sop Yana SC880 - Vandoren V16 S6 - Fiberreed Carbon Classic MH ¦ Alto SA-II - Meyer 7M - Fiberreed Carbon M
    Tenor MkVII - Link STM 8* - Fiberreed Carbon M ¦ Bari SA-II - JJ ESP 7* - Fiberreed Carbon M

I am assuming you are joking Agent27, I just don't get the joke. I don't recall having met you and pronounced the word Keilwerth in your presence. My German might not be great but I am completely able to pronounce this German name with the correct pronunciation as I indeed, to my knowledge, always do.

Distinguished SOTW Member jaysne's Avatar

I like playing saxaphone.

I also wonder how many people know the correct pronounciation of Buescher. It's BISH-er.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2011

Quote Originally Posted by jaysne View Post
    I like playing saxaphone.

I also wonder how many people know the correct pronounciation of Buescher. It's BISH-er.
    Whenever I say that, people look at me like I have a third arm growing out of my forehead. ...I've given up.

What about people insisting on writing Mark IV / Mark 1V / MKiV / MK1V instead of Mark VI / MKVI?
    Sop: SA80II - Barone Vintage 7
    Alto: MKVI 56k - Barone NY5M
    Tenor: MKVI 127k - Barone Jazz 7*
    Bari: 12M Tranny 259k - Barone-modified HR Link 0.110" / Morgan Double-Chamber 8

Well I wrote a post recently where I spelt it Keilworth, now corrected :-) In defense I do own a Yanagisawa though :-) And don't get me started when people write saxAphone :-)

how very nice!

Well, my tenor says Mark VII on the bow, but M7 on the neck. Qui a raison ?

good observation!
    I know that at Selmer they refer to their saxophone Mark VI and VII as to " six, sept " while the latin VI and VII are normally used to mean Sixth or Seventh......on the other hand the M7 only ever appeared on the Mark VII.......

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast