P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Have you ever had "Shop Airlines America Inc." buy something from you?

Distinguished SOTW Member VintageSaxGuy's Avatar

Default Have you ever had "Shop Airlines America Inc." buy something from you?

I just had this entity hit the BIN on one of my listings, and immediately received an odd automated message about how to label the box (among other things).

A quick search came up with the results that this company buys items as an intermediary and then ships them to the buyer in Japan (though I wonder why the 'buyer' didn't buy directly from me since I offer international shipping ).

I ran across a few pages on the swamp talking about this entity as a buyer, and there were experiences that were all over the board. Some said they were fine, others said it was a complete nightmare to deal with them.

My worry is that I'll send this mpc to them (at a US address), and then potentially have a hell of a time if the 'buyer' in Japan has any kind of issue with what was purchased from me. And since I technically didn't sell it to the person in Japan, can I actually be held responsible if the actual buyer does have any kind of issue?

In my mind (a scary, scary place), I should only be responsible to get it safely to the buyer's address (in this case, the go-between's address). After all...I have no control over how the mpc will be handled/packed/shipped after it reaches the destination I send it to.

I just thought I'd pick everyone's brain on this one since it's a first for me (and sounds awfully similar to many CL scams).

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2012

Default Re: Have you ever had "Shop Airlines America Inc." buy something from you?

My impression was that they buy up a lot of stuff in the U.S., package it all together, and then ship it all to Japan to resell for a lot more money. If it's the same outfit I'm thinking of, they do business on eBay under several different account names. Is their shipping address near the airport? I love it when they bid on items I'm selling, because they always end up paying much more than I ever imagined the items would sell for. They have bought about 10 different items from me (mostly mouthpieces), and I have never had any problems with them whatsoever. If you have any doubts, ship them the item with delivery confirmation and signature required. But in my experience, they pay (a lot) within a day or two, you ship the item to them, and then you never hear from them again. All transactions should be that smooth (and profitable!).

Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician

Default Re: Have you ever had "Shop Airlines America Inc." buy something from you?

Also it makes it easy for sellers who only ship in the US and for buyers in Japan trying to buy US only items.

I just shipped a mouthpiece out to them two days ago. Everything seemed good. They bought it with Buy it Now. It took a few days for them to pay but it was right before the weekend so if you throw out those two days it wasn't too long a wait. The post purchase request was to put the Ebay item number on a slip of paper in the box with the item as well as on the address label of the box. They also wanted me to fill out a simple online form after I shipped the mouthpiece. This form just wanted the item number again as well as any tracking info and estimated time of arrival. All this seems in line with someone who handles a large volume of packages that go to different clients. I guess when something is a little out of the ordinary, one can get a little suspicious - at least I did at first. But after all was said and done it wasn't too much of a problem and I got the price I wanted for the mouthpiece. Now hopefully there are no after the sale problems to deal with because I could see how that could turn into an ordeal.

I sold a case to them around 2 years ago. There was no problem just follow their instructions. What they do with your item after they get it doesnt really matter, right?

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

TK Melody Endorser/
    Forum Contributor 2013

It is legitimate. Sold to them at least a couple dozen times from ebay with absolutely no problems.

B
    “We are what we repeatedly do.
    Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.”
    ~Aristotle

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009 Budget Explosion's Avatar

don't expect feedback though. Last time I checked (a while back) they had received about 10X the feedback than they gave out. It has irked me when I've sold something really nice and I don't get any feedback (also I wanted my number of transaction feedbacks to go up.)
    http://combatjazz.bandcamp.com/

Selmer Mark VI Tenor Sax, Morgan mouthpiece

Forum Contributor 2014 Smokey613's Avatar

I sold a mouthpiece to them earlier this year and encountered no issues other than the aforementioned lack of feedback reciprocation.
    Super 20 Silversonic Tenor 427xxx - Purchased New 1968
    STM Long Body 7* Refaced by Jimmy Jensen with Legere Signature 2.5

Thanks for the responses everyone.

I think the automated message threw me a bit. I've been sent them as a buyer of merchandise, but never as a seller (until now). And after getting all kinds of spam replies on other sites, it's hard to think an automated message from a buyer isn't fishy.

But it sounds like everything is on the up and up.

Although I always value feedback, if that's the only issue I'll come across I'll be a happy camper!

Forum Contributor 2014
    Distinguished SOTW Member

Quote Originally Posted by Budget Explosion View Post
    don't expect feedback though. Last time I checked (a while back) they had received about 10X the feedback than they gave out. It has irked me when I've sold something really nice and I don't get any feedback (also I wanted my number of transaction feedbacks to go up.)
    I've sold about six or eight items to them, all without incident. I've gotten positive feedback each time. They actually send positive feedback automatically with each transaction if you follow their instructions in the email they send after they make the purchase.

In addition to giving instructions on careful packing and putting the item number on the outside of the box, they provide a link to their website and ask you to enter the tracking number. Once you do that, their system automatically leaves you positive feedback. So you get positive feedback even before you ship, usually within a few minutes of sending the tracking number.

In response to your question "VintageSaxGuy", Here is information directly from Shop Airlines America's website: "About our business

On behalf of millions of Japanese Buyers, we make a bid on eBay and pay to you via PayPal when we win the item in auction. The item you sent to our location is strictly inspected by our QA team. If the condition is OK enough, we re-ship it to Japan.

You have nothing to do with our customers in Japan. We handle everything.
    All we ask is to make sure that the item ID(s) are on the label or the package when you ship the item. We receive thousands of box everyday and that will eliminate any chance of item misplaced.

Our business is supported by eBay and PayPal.
    If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us."

So, no need to worry--as long as you get the item to their warehouse in California, this is all you're responsible for. I've sold a few items to them before--just make sure you write the item number on the package and go to the link in the automated email they send you and enter the tracking information. I've always gotten positive feedback and never had any problems. If for some reason you still dont feel comfortable doing business with them, block their ebay user names which are as follows: flight2nrt flight2sfo flight2lax flight2bos flight2nyc flight2ord flight2hnd flight2cts flight2fuk flight2kix flight2iad flight2syd flight2lhr flight2sin flight2icn flight2pvg flight2ams flight2cdg

Hope this helps!!

I have sold 2 mouthpieces to them, 2 different ebay accts but the same people, had no problems
    you just need to follow their instructions closely.

Just sold a trumpet mouthpiece to them, seems like a good company with good prices

Forum Contributor 2014

They buy from me all the time .It takes about 3 days to get paid never a problem after 50 or more transactions I wish more buyers were this easy.

A long delayed followup:

Everything worked out fine with this buyer. The only problem (for me) is that they never left feedback even though I followed their instructions.

Hi! I'm so glad I found this site! I, too, just had a sale to this company and received the same weird pkging request. After reading all the posts, I'm much more comfortable. I agree that if you send the item to the registered eBay buyer with confirmation, you should be o.k. The original buyer is the only one you deal with. What they do with it after the sale is not your problem!
    Thanks to all that posted responses to this thread...very helpful!!

I have just sold an item to them, they have payed via paypal. I did get an inquiry from Japan about shiping the item and responded with a price. Perhaps it is cheaper this way.

I am a high volume seller on eBay and have sold to them several times in the last two years. At first I was curious because of all of the instructions, but after I researched them, I decided they are just a pass-through for people outside of the U.S. who want to purchase from sellers who don't ship internationally (at this time I don't). i also found my items linked to their account, which I have no problem with. I've never had any problems with the items I sent and in the end, the added instructions are not difficult at all. They do that to assure the right items are there before they send them forward.

Distinguished SOTW Member Mark Fleming's Avatar

No problems with them. There are several China based companies doing the same thing. They generally ask you to misrepresent the value of the item on the customs declaration on the outside of the package, presumably so that you can conspire with them to cheat their government. That makes me a little leery of their business ethics, but nothing bad happens if you don't do it. Probably nothing bad happens if you do do it.

My guess is that the mailing address is somewhere that allows the business to load a shipping container. One mouthpiece in a 40' shipping container makes the pro rata shipping cost on the mouthpiece about one penny. That would make a big difference come resale time. I've also noticed that the Chinese buyers tend to go for items that are clearly "Americana" items from the 40s and 50s. I picture the stuff being sold to newly affluent James Dean wannabes. Same with the Japanese bulk buyers?

Mark