P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shoes

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar

Default Re: Shoes

Quote Originally Posted by swperry1 View Post
    Those of you who need large and wide sizes probably already know this, but New Balance goes to like 15eeee with a ton of options (cushion, stability, pronation control, etc).
    Yeah, one summer some years ago, I thought I had a stress fracture in one of my feet, but saw a podiatrist who made me realize I needed way wider shoes. The cure was nearly instant and on the podiatrist's recommendation I went with New Balance and Dunham, which is their non-sporting shoe line.

Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician & columnist clarnibass's Avatar

Some people mentioned Birkenstocks. I have a couple of those and a few imitations (one made locally) that are just as good. I've also tried a couple of the other types mentioned here. For me personally, they are no where close to my Asics. Which of course doesn't mean Asics will be most comfortable for everyone else. Years ago my msot comfortable shoes were New Balance so those were the first I tried when I needed new ones and they felt terrible. I buy from a place that allows me to return them after a few days as long as they don't look too dirty. I take the risk and wear them for a few days. I replaced more than a few. BTW I wear my sports shoes for both gigs and for... sports (indoor).

By the way, WTF are those 4 hour standing gigs people are talking about? There are actually gigs like that? I don't think I've ever had a gig/concert longer than 90 minutess standing, and usually it's less. I guess for some (high energy) groups it can be 2 hours, maybe more, 3 hours, maybe even more, on occasions, with the audience screaming for more, etc. but 4 hours?!

Distinguished SOTW Member DanPerezSax's Avatar

Weddings, parties, bar gigs, etc. You've never had a gig from 9PM to 1AM? Add load-in/load-out, and it can be rough. Add a day of teaching on your feet in my case, plus 100lbs overweight and it gets very uncomfortable!

Distinguished SOTW Member saxpiece's Avatar

A Shoe Song.

Sorry, unable to display

Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician & columnist clarnibass's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DanPerezSax View Post
    Weddings, parties, bar gigs, etc. You've never had a gig from 9PM to 1AM?
    Not really. I had a few bar gigs, not many, but they were like concert (less than 2 hours) just in a bar. Never played in weddings and parties. I did have a concert once from 4am to 5am

Add load-in/load-out, and it can be rough.
    Oh, ok. For me that's usually just my instruments (one case usually) and sometimes a small bag of stuff (effects if I'm using any, usually not).

plus 100lbs overweight and it gets very uncomfortable!
    I'm closer to 100lbs over no weight

Distinguished SOTW Member

I use something called Powerstep orthotics in my shoes. They work pretty well and are a fraction of the cost of custom orthotics. It's important to have proper arch support to avoid foot problems like plantar fasciitis (a tearing or overstretching of ligaments in the foot).

Forum Contributor 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Grumps View Post
    I can't be too picky. It's not easy finding size 14 quadruple E in anything other than athletic shoes or basic footwear. There is a cat in my area that posts here that always has that two-tone wingtip thing going on. Now if I could find a pair of those in my size...
    Here you go Grumps... http://bit.ly/rF2aoV

Sure they are only 3E, but you could easily have them stretched, and those are some fine homes for your dogs.
    Disclaimer: My opinions are not based in any way on research, knowledge, experience, talent, insight, facts, or in some cases reality. Take any advice I offer at your own risk.

A few of Pete's recordings: Check it Out!

Forum Contributor 2013

Gentlemen, gentlemen.

You really need to spend some effort on your shoes. Women always check out what shoes guys are wearing (ask one...).

Get nice shoes. Have a woman come with you to help you pick, as you are probably pretty clueless (like me). But it matters. And no, you don't need to compromise comfort, just get some that fit you well, and for goodness sake, spend some money on some good orthotics or inserts (or even the ones they sell at your local drugstore, which are WAY better than what is in your shoes right now). Jazzaferri mentioned the computer-molded insoles at Costco - I think that's a fantastic idea. You can also get great insoles made at most ski shops and hockey shops (and other sports shops I'm sure too). Use those in a decent-fitting pair of shoes and you are good to go for ANY gig. You don't need to look like Mr. Roper from Three's Company to be comfortable at a gig....

Pete
    Disclaimer: My opinions are not based in any way on research, knowledge, experience, talent, insight, facts, or in some cases reality. Take any advice I offer at your own risk.

A few of Pete's recordings: Check it Out!

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009 MyMartinTenor's Avatar

I'm a trial lawyer by day, so I always have decent dress shoes for work. When my dress shoes get totally worn out, I stop polishing 'em, but keep wearing them for travel/etc as long as possible. After another 6 mo - 1 yr wear, they take on a very solid blues musician look. A bit tattered, but still vaguely fashionable

So yeah, I'm often wearing Johnson & Murphy or the like dress shoes under my blue jeans, but they've been aged, honestly.

In the summer, I do love to just throw on a good pair of leather sandals under my jeans. But my bandmates give me grief.

Distinguished SOTW member/Official SOTW Sister bandmommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SactoPete View Post
    Gentlemen, gentlemen.

You really need to spend some effort on your shoes. Women always check out what shoes guys are wearing (ask one...).Get nice shoes. Have a woman come with you to help you pick, as you are probably pretty clueless (like me). But it matters. And no, you don't need to compromise comfort, just get some that fit you well, and for goodness sake, spend some money on some good orthotics or inserts (or even the ones they sell at your local drugstore, which are WAY better than what is in your shoes right now). Jazzaferri mentioned the computer-molded insoles at Costco - I think that's a fantastic idea. You can also get great insoles made at most ski shops and hockey shops (and other sports shops I'm sure too). Use those in a decent-fitting pair of shoes and you are good to go for ANY gig. You don't need to look like Mr. Roper from Three's Company to be comfortable at a gig....

Pete

Yes, we do check out the shoes!
    I have some of the Dr. Scholls computer suggested inserts for my boots. They sure make long days tromping around the farm a lot more comfortable.
    Too bad they don't work in my girlie dress up shoes....
    Old reed players are like fine wine. They only get better with age. Tom Hagen

Play the Music, not the instrument.

Distinguished SOTW Member saxpiece's Avatar

Usually I slip these on when I'm playing.
    They make Altissimo playing easier.

All these brands are virtually unknown down- under, unless you have a shoe fetish such as sax-piece seems to have, lovely! But the one necessary thing I find is that the shoe must fit and be light as it's a real hassle trying to keep time by tapping a foot clad in clodhoppers

Distinguished SOTW Member Bebopalot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bandmommy View Post
    To borrow a phrase from Martysax.... "Got any pics?"
    Helllllo Frisco!!

Distinguished SOTW member/Official SOTW Sister bandmommy's Avatar

Coffee... through the nose... ouch...
    Nice banana hamock.
    Old reed players are like fine wine. They only get better with age. Tom Hagen

Play the Music, not the instrument.

Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contributor Jazzaferri's Avatar

I have to say that in our sextet which includes 2women the bass player and I are the only ones into shoes and were both guys lol. He is more conservative tho with the English look. Give me Italian any day

My wife whose 100 odd pair collection makes my little rack seem measely has a couple of pairs of Cole Haan flats that are really stylish and have Nike air inserts in them. She says they ate the most comfortable shoes she owns. But women's shoes. I look at them and my feet hurt.

Yes yes I Know she has a thing about shoes and suits and and and
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed

Young sax players today usually dress like they just got out of bed for gigs but they always have on some awesome kicks though....

I have quite a collection of shoes myself, wondering if its just a sax thing???
    “I’m going to try to make music out of whatever style it is, being true to the art form itself. If you’re playing funk, stay in the pocket. If you’re swinging, swing — all the way. Play some standards. Play some blues. Play your original stuff. Do it, 100 percent..." - Roy Hargrove

Forum Contributor 2011
    SOTW's pedantic pet rodent

Quote Originally Posted by Bebopalot View Post
    Helllllo Frisco!!

Excellent! The world actually needs a lot (and I mean a lot) more of people prancing about just being themselves. IMO.

My wife and I have the same size feet (well mine are a teeny bit bigger). When she was a bit of a rocker I used to nick her biker boots. She's actually not as into shoes as I am so she keeps inheriting my trainers and brogues. Brogues being a bit of a thing in women's fashion from time to time...so I understand..not that I ever read the fashion pages..at all..of course..
    "The sound of tireless voices is the price we pay for the right to hear the music of our own opinions."

Distinguished SOTW Technician Stephen Howard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carl H. View Post
    I've also got arthritis in my big toes. Last year I spent some time looking at everything I could to make standing and walking less painful. I found some nice Donner boots, but they really aren't suited for gigging, just too warm. I also tried out every shoe I could find - no matter the price or the way they looked and came up with a workable solution for standing gigging - these shoes.
    I tried a pair of somethiing similar - Sketchers I think - with the 'rocker' sole, but they didn't work for me. too much flex in the toe box, even with the rocker.
    I haven't given up on the idea though and am still looking for a pair with a stiffer sole.
    I'd like to try the Zamberlan Voiz GT - a hiking boot with a pronounced rocker sole:

http://www.zamberlan.uk.com/products2.asp?productid=996

I'm also booked in with the podiatrist at the local hospital - it'll be interesting to see what an expert can come up with.

Regards,
    Stephen Howard
    www.shwoodwind.co.uk
    - Woodwind instrument repairs & period restorations
    Author, Haynes Saxophone Manual, Haynes Clarinet Manual

SOTW Columnist/ Forum Contributor 2014

By the way, WTF are those 4 hour standing gigs people are talking about? There are actually gigs like that? I don't think I've ever had a gig/concert longer than 90 minutess standing, and usually it's less. I guess for some (high energy) groups it can be 2 hours, maybe more, 3 hours, maybe even more, on occasions, with the audience screaming for more, etc. but 4 hours?!
    Most of our gigs are up to 4 hours. Wedding receptions, high school reunions and private parties. If it is a dry gig (some wedding receptions) it will be about 2-3 hours. We have a "party band" so that is probably the reason. And when I sit in with club bands it will always go from 9-1 or 2:00. And, with the exception of the drummer and maybe a keyboard player, we all stand and move around for the duration so a good pair of shoes is a must or I will feel it at the end of the gig.

"It's only rock & roll but I like it"

Forum Contributor 2011
    SOTW's pedantic pet rodent

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Howard View Post
    I'd like to try the Zamberlan Voiz GT - a hiking boot with a pronounced rocker sole:

http://www.zamberlan.uk.com/products2.asp?productid=996

I'm also booked in with the podiatrist at the local hospital - it'll be interesting to see what an expert can come up with.

Regards,
    I'm doubtful about how good a rocker sole would be if you're just standing (??). Might possibly do more harm than good (??) Still, if they work for Carl they work for him. These are very good: http://www.footdisc.co.uk/ , but if you are seeing a podiatrist they may prescribe custom insoles or something through the nhs that would do the same job or better.

This is quite a good overview. Although it is specifically about running, the same issues are presumably involved in any case of injury and foot pain: http://www.footdisc.co.uk/RunningFitness.pdf
    "The sound of tireless voices is the price we pay for the right to hear the music of our own opinions."

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast