Sax on the Web Forum banner

Shoes

19K views 85 replies 36 participants last post by  RandyJ 
#1 ·
D'you give them much thought - or do you just slip your feet into whatever will look good on the gig?

If you tend to choose specific footwear for your gigs, what are the reasons and what differences have you noticed?

Regards,

#2 ·
Oh, well, I'm asking for it by replying to this but what the hey..

Barker, the "barker-flex" ones. They're cool, they're comfy and they're made in England. There's a lot of support for the foot too so they're really good for posture. I wouldn't go hiking in them but they're great when playing the sax. I actually prefer to play barefoot but if I have a gig (once in a blue moon) I don't really think people want to see my hairy Hobbit feet.

#7 ·
Yeah, I give thought to my shoes. I didn't used to, but after a couple years of standing-up day jobs, load-ins, standing/stepping gigs and load-outs, I got more serious. I'm very heavy, as well, which compounds any ****** shoe issues. Best I've found for gigging are the Clarks Waves. Decent looking, and extremely comfortable. Terrible for driving, though... can't heel/toe at all in those shoes and I do fine in all others. Go figure.

#8 ·
D'you give them much thought - or do you just slip your feet into whatever will look good on the gig?
I give them a lot of thought but not so much for looks. I spent a lot of time trying to find shoes that feel comfortable. These are sports shoes by Asics. I can't remember how many I've tried and so many companies, even some other models by Asics weren't as comfortable. I had a different Asics model before that was also great (wore it out).

If you tend to choose specific footwear for your gigs, what are the reasons and what differences have you noticed?
So yes, I'm specific. Reasons as above, just so comfortable, which is by far more important than anything else to me. I wear these shoes all the time and for over 90% of my "gigs". Actually it's hard to call them gigs, I'd say concerts. I don't play in weddings or other similar ceremonies/receptions/etc. where you are mostly a pawn.

Occasionally someone asks to wear more "formal" shoes (e.g. someone I play with, it's their group, like a singer etc.) and then we talk about it a bit and if it's important I wear more "formal" black shoes. I've had more than a few of those until I found ones that are pretty comfortable.

One time I had to buy a pair of black shoes in an emergency for a concert abroad because my pair was ruined suddenly. I bought ones that felt ok at the store. I didn't want to bring extra shoes so I wore those all the time that I was there. I came back with feet hurting pretty bad. They were terrible.

I think in some situations it makes sense to wear more "formal" shoes, usually in a situation that you don't want to seperate yourself from a group i.e. attract attention to something that isn't supposed to. But for most situations, including "important" concerts at big stages etc. I see no reason not to wear my sports shoes.

#12 ·
Between the Birkenstock, Birki, and Footprints lines there are many styles suitable for all but the most formal of gigs (tuxedo required). They are not only comfortable, but the next best thing to a good pair of custom orthotics. Though it is hard to find a good cobbler in the US these days, they are well worth the money because you can get them resoled or repaired at any good shop. I have even ordered regular dress shoes a size longer and wider than needed so I can put a birkenstock footbed in them.

Birkenstocks are kind of like mouthpieces: Anyone who says they aren't comfortable hasn't worn them long enough to know what they are capable of doing for them...

#10 ·
As far as shoes, IMO you cannot go past British Shoes. The ones I can afford are Loake, but Church are also excellent as well as many others and some of course have the Royal Warrant. I wear Loake Brogues to mostly all my gigs. So yes I do give consideration to footwear at in general and at gigs specifically.

#13 ·
Thanks for that, dexdex!

I always make sure that my shoes are comfortable and that they have soft soles . . . I don't want the noise of my tapping feet to compete with the drummer.

#21 ·
I can't be too picky. It's not easy finding size 14 quadruple E in anything other than athletic shoes or basic footwear. There is a cat in my area that posts here that always has that two-tone thing going on. Now if I could find a pair of those in my size...
I have trouble with sizes, too. Depending on the brand, I can be anything from 12 double wide to 14 wide. I tend to order online because it's cheaper and they HAVE the sizes, but sometimes have to send things back.

#17 ·
Stephen, you might want to consider the Brooks Adrenaline GTS 11 in solid black. I spent a few dollars over the years trying to find a comfortable shoe for the tux. I never could find a leather shoe that was soft with real good cushion for standing 3-4 hours. Brooks does the job.

#18 ·
English bench made in Northampton all the way..I bought 3 pairs of Edward Green Boots and two pairs of brogues about 20 years ago. They cost a lot but I'm just about to have a pair of boots restored on the original last and I wear them most days. They are one of the best..a higher league than Churches and Grenson etc which are both very good.

Other than those I like Clarkes Original Desert boots ( made in Vietnam now) and Converse All Stars which I've been wearing on and off since I was a nipper. I just bought a nice brown pair. Shoes are very important in so many ways and create an impression.

#20 ·
I have to go with Birkenstocks too. I wear the restaurant kitchen Pro seiries a lot. I have too many pair to count. They are comfortable, don't look too goofy, non-slip, durable and one of the few non-custom shoes that I can wear for long periods of time on my gout ridden feet. There is nothing like being acutely aware of your foot pain while trying to play a gig. You might as well stay home.

#41 ·
Those of you who need large and wide sizes probably already know this, but New Balance goes to like 15eeee with a ton of options (cushion, stability, pronation control, etc).
Yeah, one summer some years ago, I thought I had a stress fracture in one of my feet, but saw a podiatrist who made me realize I needed way wider shoes. The cure was nearly instant and on the podiatrist's recommendation I went with New Balance and Dunham, which is their non-sporting shoe line.

#26 ·
Nice comfy Italian blue suede loafers ... almost like slippers but with some style.

I have read feet only need support if foot muscles are weak from lack of proper exercise. Walking barefoot along sandy beaches or grassy fields that sort of thing. Someone is marketing a shoe or shoe insert or something to that effect ..... cant remember at the moment but supposed to exercise the foot muscles so back pain and all that goes away.

#29 ·
Some very interesting responses so far.
My own choice of shoe is dictated by the state of my feet - I've got arthritis in my big toes...probably from years spent wearing "Rock 'n Roll' boots to gigs, and kicking blues harp players.
In order to be able to get from the car to the stage I have to wear pretty serious backpacking boots - something with a stiff, contoured sole and decent ankle support. I'm currently using a pair of Asolo Powermatic 200s.
By far the biggest problem for me is finding such a boot that can be worn in more formal settings. I've been pretty lucky in being able to cultivate a slightly 'edgy' image, which means I can get away without having to wear ties (about the worst thing a wind player can wear to a gig) and suits. If the money's right I might just wear a jacket.

Fortunately, the Asolos are black leather - so when the need arises they can take a shine.

Another consideration I always bear in mind is the need to be able to traverse some tricky surfaces during the course of a gig. An uncarpeted stage can be rather slippy - especially if there's a bone player chucking spit over the floor, or a guitarist who mistakes his pint for a distortion pedal. The dance floor itself can be lethal - and some hotels just can't lay off the bare marble flooring.
I've seen a good few musos and punters take a fall from an unwary step.

The big plus with wearing high-spec boots/shoes is the amount of support they give when you're standing. A decent boot practically holds you up and gives you a rock-solid connection to the floor. This really helps the posture - and so aids the blowing (and yeah, maybe the Vibram sole really does add something to the tone ;) ).
The extra space (you tend to buy walking boots a size larger than your feet) really pays dividends on a long, hot gig - and takes up the expansion of the foot with ease.

I'm guessing a number of people are browsing this thread and thinking "What the...??" - but take it from me, if you spend some time thinking carefully about what you wear on your feet for gigs it'll prove to be one of the best investments you ever made.

Regards,

#38 ·
if you spend some time thinking carefully about what you wear on your feet for gigs it'll prove to be one of the best investments you ever made.
Shoes are the most important item of gig clothing, as far as I'm concerned. If I'm not comfortable standing on my feet for 4 hours, it doesn't matter what else I'm wearing. I'd always rather not wear any shoes at all, but I have to wear something on stage. My problem is that I learned several years ago that the secret to my shoe comfort is wide widths, but decent and comfortable wide shoes are hard to find as well as more expensive than shoes in normal widths. My regular pair of gig shoes, though, is a cheap pair I found in a wide width. I don't wear them at any other times for fear that I'll wear them out. My other secret is to buy shoes a size too large. I have a pair of black suede slip-on sneakers like that. If my feet are really hurting, I'll wear those. But they have no arch support. What I really want is a pair of red high-tops in a wide width with arch supports. Then I would have the happiest gig feet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.