Sax on the Web Forum banner

A Bad Year Challenge

3K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Shady 
#1 ·
Alright, it was a tough year, the hardest one among my life,

It started by losing my beloved mother, then losing two family members, major events & changes existed in my country, political & social uncertainty, & finally a failed love story during all this mess.

Though I still play music a lot because that’s what I do for living, am more to be set on auto pilot (a bad one of course) I lost my appetite for serious practicing, tried more than once to push it to put myself back on track but I couldn’t keep it more than few days then am back to the auto pilot again, my old tricks that used to keep me motivated are not working anymore & now as the end of this year is approaching I didn’t like the fact that I spent most of my year depressed & stranded from my path & dreams.
I need a happier ending for 2011, I thought of a new way to start motivating myself, stay focused, I thought I can use my favorite forum help & I had this idea…

During the days remaining in 2011 I’ll keep practicing "Giant steps" for every day then I'll post the recording before the end of December.

I'll use Aebersold track the slow version (224bpm) for the recording.

It feels good being back here, Thank you SOTW for your support in advance.

Shady

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey, Shady, I'm sorry to hear what a rough time you're having. Life goes through these cycles of high and low motivation for whatever reason. In the grand scheme, a year where you shed less than others won't have a huge effect compared to the total accumulation of your efforts. It's ok to be lethargic or depressed following these events. Just don't feel depressed ABOUT being depressed because it's natural. It's good to push yourself to get back in the saddle. I'm sure you'll need that to get started again, but I'm also sure that after the right amount of time passes, you'll find your natural motivation coming back easily as you move into the next phase of your life. Good luck, bro, and let's hear those recordings!

#3 ·
Shady - that is a tough year. Losing parents and family members is hard, as are failed love stories. And I can't even imagine how unsettling it must be to be in the middle of the major political/social changes that are still happening in your country, even if they end up being for the best.

But you made it through - so when things look like they might be hard, you can remember that you made it through this year, and you will get through again. It does get hard to focus on and get motivated for things that are work when so much other stuff (that feels more important) is going on. It will start coming back when you are ready for it.

Good luck!

#4 ·
With what you've been through personally and in that environment, the fact that you are searching to get back on track shows you have stood up better than you think you have. Keep the faith, keep moving, and it will come back.
I lived in Cairo in the late seventies as a teenager when my dad worked there with Amoco Oil. My thoughts and prayers have been on your country frequently this year. Hang in there!

#7 ·
That's a lot to go through Shady. I had a similar year in 1999 losing my beloved mother and two other family members in a thirty day period. Time heals is a truism. Give time, time. I think DanPerez is right, it is natural to go through a period of depression and/or listlessness while the inner workings sort through the events and emotions. Talking about it frequently with friends, family and even strangers will definitely help. Speedy return to a place you wish to be in your music and life.

#8 ·
Dont beat yourself up Shady. Not being motivated ALL the time is not a bad thing. Your looking at it the wrong way. There was an opportunity in there somewhere and I am sure you took it. And you know what, if you dont get motivated, as much, or as quickly, dont look at what you DONT have or DID have. Just stay focused on what you do have in the moment. Thats is it, because thats all THERE is. You know, its ok to even say that music is not everything and there maybe room for other things in your life. In the end, we all die, its abstract isnt it ?

#10 ·
Thank you a lot Flaneur,
Yes times heal everything, but worries need some action to stop them.

Dear Evan,
dont look at what you DONT have or DID have. Just stay focused on what you do have in the moment.
that's so true, & positive, i like it

Bandmommy, hugs are badly needed, I'll make use of your generous refillable offer :)

The good news is that the challenge plan started to get me some results, finally practicing is better, longer & more focused for the last few days, i hope the final result will do any good to the ears & to the music.

Thank you for proving again how pretty amazing what a kind community SOTW can be.

Shady

#9 ·
I have no advice for you, but I do have one very big bandmommy signature ((((HUG)))).
It's not the same as what your own mother would have given you, but it should be pretty close.
I know you're having a tough time right now. Give it time and one day things will look better.

And if you need... that hug is refillable. :)

#11 ·
Shady,

Starting this thread was positive progress. NEVER look back, because you can't change anything that you did--or didn't do--in the past. You can only change what you're doing NOW, and what you'll do tomorrow.

For now, I recommend finding whatever reminds you of why you became a musician in the first place. Listen to that old recording, or, if possible, treat yourself to a GREAT live performance by one of your favorite groups... anything that will make you want to rush home and pick up that horn.

Oh, and remember--we're not like other people. We're musicians, and we feel stuff. You can pour all that sadness/anxiety/frustration into your horn, and you'll be a better player for having done so.

Take care of yourself,
Leanne

#12 ·
Hey Shady,

Super sorry to hear about all that you've been through. I very much agree with Flaneur, time heals is very much a truism. Furthermore, I believe that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger, so it sounds as if you're about to become one monster player :)

You and your country are in my prayers,
J

#13 ·
Thank you guys for the support, i knew i was doing better @ practicing when the neighbors started complaining about the noises am making, i had to spend 5 days installing sound barriers in my practice room then am back to practice.
the countdown for the recording is on, started recording takes since yesterday, the technique problem is solved partially, the best way to face this problem was to practice the selected exercises on a programed metronome on sonar where the speed increases gradually from 100 bpm to 250 then down to 190 up to 270 down to 210 up to 300 bpm so when i played at the selected tempo (224) it felt a bit like home, the main problem right now is to think fast enough to construct meaningful phrases & to land on the right notes @ this speed. will post the final recording on the 31st of December. stay tuned for the finale :)
Shady

#15 ·
Thank you bari_sax-Diva...

Alright Guys today is the day, here we go with a "Giant Steps" recording, it is not perfect but it is something..

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11329181

to be honest that recording is made of two halves of two different takes.
comments are more than welcome.

Happy New Year SOTW!

#16 ·
Shady- sorry to hear about your troubles this year. I hope that this year brings better things for you and your country. This was a tough challenge to set yourself- I think you've done an amazing job in 1 month. I like your tenor sound too- I don't think I've heard it before. Happy New Year!

#17 ·
Thank you rolltrane,
a tough year should be ended with a tough challenge :bluewink:
the new tenor sound is the sound of Zagar i bought used two months ago from an american saxophonist friend who lives in Cairo, it plays like charm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.