Sax on the Web Forum banner

Otto Link Alto Metal

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  The Saxophone Lament 
#1 ·
hi! I wondered if somebody on this forum has used this mouthpiece, and if so what are your thoughts about it? I'm planning to buy one because I want to try a metal mouthpiece. so I want to know if somebody on this forum likes it, and how that it plays:)

#2 ·
not the new ones but the "early babbits" can be teriffic. Sometimes you can find them here on this forum for reasonable prices. Also this is not a mouthpiece for the beginner, you must have developed some muscles.
Played on a double ring last year with a reface by Morgan Fry which i really really like but there is no laquer left and at the moment im a little bit afraid of poisoning myself so.... :(
At the moment playing on my acoustimer which is also great.

#7 ·
yeah. I'm playing 7 years but I'm still afraid that I won't have enough muscles.. I think I will go for a '5' tip opening to compensate. does a small tip opening has a disadvantage?

I saw some video's of Sonny Stitt on a metal Ottolink and he sounds great. but are the ''early babbits'' better than the current?

#3 ·
I have one which used to be rather disappointing, dull, dead. A 7* if I remember well. It is currently worked on by a local refacer. www.Mouthpiece-Pro.com
I'm looking forward to get it back.
Sonny Stitt appears to play one on several albums, at least if we can believe the photographs. And you know how he burns on alto !

#4 ·
I have one which used to be rather disappointing, dull, dead. A 7* if I remember well. It is currently worked on by a local refacer. www.Mouthpiece-Pro.com
Good luck with that. Most of the Links I have tried have been exactly that: dull/dead. perhaps it's the mouthpiece, perhaps it's me.

#8 ·
On tenor, most good modern Links I've played range from 7 to 10. On alto, I have no clue. You should try as many as you can, in several openings. They are quite unconsistant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.