Antigua Winds
AW Reeds
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2011

Default Re: What mpc are you using to play rock /RnB

Quote Originally Posted by rhythmisking View Post
    Runyon Quantum Spoiler (without the spoiler) on my Martin MM tenor. The same type piece but with the spoiler on my Mark VII alto.
    Heh heh. I know rhythmisking. I also have a Runyon with a spoiler that I sometimes use on my Martin MM tenor. It's a Custom 10 that I play without the spoiler. I think it's good if you want loud, straight shot out of the barrel.
    The Martin "Official Music Man" tenor, Barone black tenor, The Martin baritone, Richards Martin Indiana alto, cheap Chinese soprano, Metalite mouthpieces, Plasticover reeds, Nord Electro 2, bunch of other instruments
    Wall Of Blues, youtube video, P-Town All-Stars, get Rich, Cannons (my band in the 60's) and Cannons record

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMusicMan View Post
    Metalite mouthpieces and Plasticover reeds on all my horns - SATB. Metalites are great rock pieces and the most inexpensive ones out there.
    +1 !

SR Tech Fusion on a Barone Classic Tenor

Brass Ponzol M2

Forum Contributor 2013

add the PARASCHOS wooden neck, vintage SELMER soloist C*, vandoren blue/zz reed #2.5 (and above) and PARASCHOS wooden ligature. same setup for jazz
    Music - His gift, my duty, our fellowship 3Jn2
    Yanagisawa A992 Alto, Yamaha YAS-62 Alto & YTS-62 Tenor, Selmer Paris Series II Soprano Sax

Hey AGreen, MitchP,Agent27,saxphil,Buck

You guys are all playing Link type pieces, do you feel that in a rock,rnb setting the piece does all you want? I'm REALLY leaning towards a Link especially after watching this video of AGreene with the PrimeTime horns. Holy crap! fat tone, fat altisimmo, multiphonics and all on a Tenney Slant which I thought wsa a dark piece. AWESOME playing! Solo starts at 3:10!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soR3fwujm64

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009 MyMartinTenor's Avatar

Wanne Durga 9. Love it.

SOTW Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by BobD View Post

You guys are all playing Link type pieces, do you feel that in a rock,rnb setting the piece does all you want? I'm REALLY leaning towards a Link especially after watching this video of AGreene with the PrimeTime horns. Holy crap! fat tone, fat altisimmo, multiphonics and all on a Tenney Slant which I thought wsa a dark piece. AWESOME playing! Solo starts at 3:10!

Thanks for posting that clip; I really enjoyed it! That recording is good; keep in mind the horns are well-miked, and I'm sure there's a good soundperson on the job.

I have a Tenney Jazzmaster 7* that I would probably use all the time, even for blues/R&R, if I could always be miked perfectly with a reliable soundperson at the helm. Since that's not often the case, when playing in a moderate to higher volume environment, I use an RPC 120B, which has more 'horsepower' without losing body in the tone.

So yeah, I think you can use a link-like mpc for R&R, but ONLY if you are assured of good sound "re-enforcement." Most of all, it's how you play. R&R is a stylistic thing. But I guess that goes without saying.

Forum Contributor 2012

http;//www.youtube.com/watck?v=soR3fwujm64
    Yeah, Tony kicks in that clip, good band too.

Like JL said, sound reinforcement is key.

I don't play out regularly any more, so loudness doesn't much matter to me.

A Link like piece gives me the fatness throughout the horn that I like.
    I can't stand smaller profile mpcs now.
    I've been on the Tenney Jazzmaster 7* for ten months.
    It does it all for me.

It is interesting to me that you thought the Tenney Slant was dark, before hearing Tony on it.

I've come to the conclusion that the Tenney Jazzmaster, can be anything one wants it to be.
    I tend to blow bright and it is nowhere near dark for me.
    I love it because my tenors sound full, everywhere.

If you move air, it can smoke.
    Just mess with reeds, to get it where you like.

fwiw, I played my Link STMs mostly, and the Jazzmaster is right down that alley, except for me, better.
    My wife, whose ears I trust, said that my sound is much fuller, richer, more powerful and resonant on this set up.
    ... but really folks... my wife said, " It sounds like a saxophone ".

So it looks like I'm going with some type of Link piece. I've always been comfortable on them and I want a full, fat sound with some buzz, not a piercing thin sound. I'll just make sure the sound guy turns me up.

So far I'm considering all the Phil-Tone offerings(including a NY Metal Link), a Drake NY Jazz(and maybe Son of Slant) and Tenor Madness EB Link. I'll have a Barone Vintage 6* with the Barone horn that I'm waiting for so at least I'll have a starting point with that piece.

Link like pieces are versatile, if I was only a R&B/rock type player I might try done other things. I like to have one piece for every situation. Good luck!

Distinguished SOTW Member Captain Beeflat's Avatar

SR Tech Fusion 115 on a Grassi tenor.
    Occasionally a Metalite M11...not much to choose between them.
    If everything is coming your way, you are probably in the wrong lane.

Distinguished SOTW Member sinkdraiN's Avatar

I use my ed zentera STM 8 for R&R and everything else. My backup is an off the shelf Tone Edge 7.

SOTW Columnist

So it looks like I'm going with some type of Link piece. I've always been comfortable on them and I want a full, fat sound with some buzz, not a piercing thin sound. I'll just make sure the sound guy turns me up. .
    Probably a good choice, then. However, just so you aren't harboring a misconception, not all high baffle mpcs will result in a 'piercing thin sound.' With a high baffle mpc, a relatively large chamber and an open tip will help mitigate any tendency to an overly bright sound. And baffles can vary quite a bit as well. You do have to learn to play them, just like you have to learn to play a Link-type mpc.

Good luck with the sound guy! Assuming you will always have one...

Distinguished SOTW Member EgilF.'s Avatar

Julius Keilwerth SX90II soprano - Runyon Custom .070 - V16 2 / Cannonball Big Bell Stones Series alto - Beechler Custom Bellite .085 - Red Java 2.5 / JK SX90R Tenor - Sugal KW II .110" - V16 3 / Taishan baritone - Vandoren V16 B9 - Vandoren ZZ 2.5

Distinguished SOTW Member NissanVintageSax's Avatar

I use a Drake Studio #8 (.110) with a Fibracell 2 1/2 on my 1975-76 Couf Superba II.

One friend of mine uses a Jody Jazz DV 7* (.108) and Alexender Superial #4 reeds on his 1954 Mark VI.

Another friend of mine plays a 130/1/M vintage SS Berg Larson with VanDoren blue box 2 1/2 reeds on his Martin Committee III Tenor.

Though we all use different reeds, mouthpieces, and saxes, we all arrive at the same place!
    '60s Vito (France) Mo 38 A.Sax; '22 Harwood Professional C(Buescher Stencil); '26 King Bari; '70s H. Couf Superba II Tenor Sax;'20s Beaufort American Curvy Sop (Conn stencil) w/white Roos blueminorjazzcombo@groups.facebook.com

I play rock on my RPC 115B, but I can get the same sound with my Tenney STM. I just don't have to work as hard for the same sound. The RPC isn't as versatile as the link, though--but it is definitely powerful
    Sound guy theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- 3dB)
    Sax player theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- .010" at the tip)
    "Free jazz is the vegemite of the musical world. It's an acquired taste."-J. Jacques

Drake vintage or contemporary....they pack a real punch...are an easy blow and have a nice overall body to the sound....even when mellow.

For R&B/Funk my Theo Wanne Datta 8 (metal) is perfect. Can sound mellow and also cut like crazy. All of that with a thick meaty sound.

I think it is important to have a well developed tonal concept in your mind, meaning you can clearly hear in your imagination the sound you would like to have. I try to teach this to my students. When I listen to the tone in my head (tone, not voices), I hear something very close to what AGreene gets. AGreene, I think you sound great on this clip. I would love to know what reeds you are using on your Tenney Slant.

I also think it is inportant to note that the mouthpiece here is a medium opening (.100?), and not something super-open.

One of my favorite gigs was on a Tenney Slant. We showed up not really knowing until we arrived that we would be playing all classic rock and R and B stuff. I had two pieces in my case. One was the Tenney Slant, and the other was a metal Vandoren V16 that belonged to a friend. He was trying to sell it and thought that I sounded great on it. I borrowed it to try just for fun. I thought this job would be a good test for it. I played 3 tunes on it and went back to the Tenney Slant. Not bright, but fat, vibrant, and full throughout the horn. Helped that we had good sound re-inforcement that night. Can't remember what mic I had, but it was nothing fancy. Can't remember what reeds I used either, because this was several years ago. I wish I still had that piece.

I think sometimes we (or maybe just me) get caught up in "if it is rock, we need to have a bright sound", but maybe we just need a good saxophone sound - full, fat, vibrant, and resonant with good center and body and presence, regardless of what the EQ is.

If you want to hear another player who gets this type of sound with this style of music on a link, check out Cornelius Bumpus.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast