Antigua Winds
AW Reeds
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast
    Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar

Default Re: JUST JOE's MUSIC "Saxophone GEL-STRAP!!!"

I am looking to buy one but I am using a similar Taiwanese design, this was the reason I came to this thread

Quote Originally Posted by milandro View Post
    I am looking to buy one but I am using a similar Taiwanese design, this was the reason I came to this thread
    Interesting. What is the similar Taiwanese brand and do you have any pics or a link to a website for a visual comparison?

well, it is not quite the same in terms of the leather used (it is in fact, I am sure after having reading the comments, much harder leather coupled with a thick layer of some elastic neoprene padding and it doesn't have the differential padding on the two sides which is the unique selling point of this other strap)

for those enamoured with the metal hook, this Taiwanese strap has one..........one that I tested at the time we were told that metal hooks influence sound and when I said that, to my wimpy not enough hard blowing ears, it didn't do anything to the sound, but what do I know?

well, it is not quite the same in terms of the leather used (it is in fact, I am sure after having reading the comments, much harder leather coupled with a thick layer of some elastic neoprene padding and it doesn't have the differential padding on the two sides which is the unique selling point of this other strap)
    Thanks for the pics & Link. The part of the strap that goes around your neck looks just like a Brancher, but the slider looks more like an Oleg or Just Joe's.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck Laughlin View Post
    The Nihilists are here.

Nothing matters . . . It'll never work . . . Why bother? . . . Nothing makes a difference . . .

What took you guys so long? You guys let this thread get to the second page before stepping in to destroy it!
    Like a swarm of locusts.

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar

it doesn't have the differential padding on the two sides which is the unique selling point of this other strap)
    Not quite unique, I think this one was there first:

Distinguished SOTW Technician Stephen Howard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buck Laughlin View Post
    The Nihilists are here.

Nothing matters . . . It'll never work . . . Why bother? . . . Nothing makes a difference . . .
    I tried the hook experiment - I even made a 'Godzilla' of a hook to give it the very best chance of working. I tried a number of variations too. I even did some testing of the strap material itself, and came up with an explanation that could be duplicated by anyone and which relied on science rather than supposition.
    Ditto with the recent Conn lead weight experiment...and any number of other "Hey guys, I stuck a fish/nail/rock/bag of chips on my horn and it made a difference" type of experiments.
    To date none of them - not one - have succeeded in proving the claims made for them.

As a result of taking the time and the trouble to test these claims I've been accused of being a non-playing sax repairer, a player who doesn't put enough air down the horn, a nihilist...and probably quite a few other things as well...but so far no-one has come up with any credible, provable and repeatable scientific evidence to prove that these gimmicks work.
    So I'll carry one testing these claims as and when they arise, and you carry on calling people names - and we'll see which method stands up to scrutiny over time.

Regards,
    Stephen Howard
    www.shwoodwind.co.uk
    - Woodwind instrument repairs & period restorations
    Author, Haynes Saxophone Manual, Haynes Clarinet Manual

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Howard View Post
    As a result of taking the time and the trouble to test these claims...
    Actually, the joke is on you. We've just been coming up with this **** to mess with you...

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2012

The point in post #47 was harped upon to death in the since closed Casa Valdez thread.

We got it. Do you have a review of the Just Joe's gel strap to offer?
    My wife, whose ears I trust, said that my sound is much fuller, richer, more powerful and resonant on this set up.
    ... but really folks... my wife said, " It sounds like a saxophone ".

Forum Contributor 2012

Quote Originally Posted by AndyB1970 View Post
    Well GAS stikes, I've ordered one :-) I am currently using the Cebulla strap, will be interesting to compare the two.
    Let us know what you think. Both are great straps, but the Just Joe's strap has an "ahhhhhh" factor when you put it on. I'll be interested to know if you get the same thing.

Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member Swampcabbage's Avatar

I still say that the truest scientific testing in all these circumstances would be to use the robot who plays Giant Steps coupled with several different sensing devices for range, frequency, complete breakdowns in EQ changes, response (time from types of attacks to the sound/desired sound quality), volume, etc...

Test these in a variety of ways, long tones, exercises, range, etc...

And yes, even then there will be skeptics. There always will be.

I think it interesting to note that we often are shaping our own sound. And sometimes the differences I detect are which direction I take and the time it takes to shape my sound to the time it takes to achieve it. If I have to go from bright to darker or darker to brighter, focused to unfocused, vice versa. We automatically adjust to whatever the parameters - subconsciously, that we expect to hear. In the end. It is our own perception that leads us to determine what works and what doesn't. What helps and what hurts.

People hear different things than others. I know plenty of people who will like the production sound of a record that I just do not care for. Do they hear something different? Probably. If we can confuse words and meanings and if the loss of hearing can cover all frequencies; doesn't it stand to reason that some may hear or detect a frequency differently than someone else.

Akin to a joke I make when some idiot get's a spike of feedback in the mains "well, I guess I'll never hear that again."

And just like tinnitus and certain frequencies or vibrations greatly affect ones hearing (some people hear a frequency and get excruciating pain) can't there be subtle changes that effect us one way or another.

And likewise. Those who do detect differences, is it possible that the direction or the position of you instrument is slightly different than the other test. Perhaps a wall, or distance to a mic.

There are way too many factors to consider to say one way or another. To say - this is a difference! Yes or no.

Quite simply. I do not believe anyone here possesses the resources to truly test and process the data to the level of certainty.

So a claim that there is no difference is just a valid as saying it's a completely different animal

It's all subjective to one extent or another.

So I say: "send it to the Robot."

Until then. No one knows. And I know it sucks to be in the hallway of not knowing. But perhaps we should accept that there is no point in believing so strongly one way or another about any of this that it should resort to insults and derision. Or community is shrinking as it is. We don't need squabbling to add to diminish our breed.

I'm not saying "it's all good."

It ain't and it never is on this earth.

But it's not THAT important, is it? The OP tried to make a point of saying - hey, you have this option available if it matters to you...

Stephen, thank you for your efforts and trying to be objective. And Buck, thank for your efforts and trying to be objective. It's not unheard of to have the same experiment run several times and all with different results. But, I think to get beyond this. We need to "take it to the Robot."

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Howard View Post
    I tried the hook experiment - I even made a 'Godzilla' of a hook to give it the very best chance of working. I tried a number of variations too. I even did some testing of the strap material itself, and came up with an explanation that could be duplicated by anyone and which relied on science rather than supposition.
    Ditto with the recent Conn lead weight experiment...and any number of other "Hey guys, I stuck a fish/nail/rock/bag of chips on my horn and it made a difference" type of experiments.
    To date none of them - not one - have succeeded in proving the claims made for them.

As a result of taking the time and the trouble to test these claims I've been accused of being a non-playing sax repairer, a player who doesn't put enough air down the horn, a nihilist...and probably quite a few other things as well...but so far no-one has come up with any credible, provable and repeatable scientific evidence to prove that these gimmicks work.
    So I'll carry one testing these claims as and when they arise, and you carry on calling people names - and we'll see which method stands up to scrutiny over time.

Regards,
    Well Stephen, you do play plasticover reeds.

Quote Originally Posted by saxphil View Post
    The point in post #47 was harped upon to death in the since closed Casa Valdez thread.........
    and yet the " I feel it because I have a superior :......(hearing , playing) that is constantly brought up............. so obviously that is worth discussing ............or members are only allowed to bring that up but no one is allowed disagree with that proposition?

Forum Contributor 2012

You guys ever try tying a piece of leather around the neck of the sax?
    Come see me live with Platinum Express

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    You guys ever try tying a piece of leather around the neck of the sax?
    bad, bad, bad boy!

Forum Contributor 2012

It works better when the moon is full.
    Come see me live with Platinum Express

I recently bought one of Joe's straps, managed to cancel a neotec, I had on order when they got in an open hook one.
    Very pleased with the service less than a week to New Zealand.... He included a free CD of a Jazz concert, charity fundraiser, including a hand written note.
    I've read about the metal hooks influencing the sound and thought, that's a bit far fetched... but at band practice yesterday, the first since getting Joe's strap, the guys mentioned my sound had gotten better!
    So these straps get the thumbs up from me!

--
    Cheers & ciao
    Jimu

"Together We Create Beauty"
    Creativity is a drug I cannot live without.
    Cecil B. DeMille

together we create beauty

Quote Originally Posted by Grumps View Post
    Actually, the joke is on you. We've just been coming up with this **** to mess with you...
    It's even funnier when people start selling the gadgets for big bucks...always raises a laugh!

Regards,
    Stephen Howard
    www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Thomas View Post
    Not quite unique, I think this one was there first:

Yes, so it would seem!

Quote Originally Posted by saxphil View Post
    The point in post #47 was harped upon to death in the since closed Casa Valdez thread.

We got it. Do you have a review of the Just Joe's gel strap to offer?
    I'll tell you what I've got...
    Over the years I've used a number of products with gel in - bike saddles, gloves, insoles, kneepads etc. and camera straps - and it's always been the gel component that's failed first.
    Will that happen with these straps?
    Dunno, and on the positive side a sax strap is going to be subject to far less wear and tear than a saddle etc. - but then a pro camera and lens weighs as much as an alto...

Regards,
    Stephen Howard
    www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast