P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Tilting G# / Bb Table Keys

Default Tilting G# / Bb Table Keys

I am currently hoping to buy a sax - my first - and I am trying to make sense of some of the features advertised on saxophones. I am not yet sure if I will go for very cheap and virtually disposable, or to try to get something a bit better. Anyway, I digress a bit.

Some saxophones are advertised as having tilting G# / Bb table keys. Is anyone able to tell me what this means, please? What are the keys like if they aren't tilting? Should I care...?

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Default Re: Tilting G# / Bb Table Keys

You should care, but most modern horns have a tilting mechanism there. Some modern student models like a Yamaha 23 does not have tilting. The tilting mech, adds a bit more comfort to playing there. Its not a necessity. In fact, a Selmer SBA does not have a tilting mechanism, and people play he crap out of those things. Look at any modern pro horn and you will find a tilting mechanism.
    CONN 10M (1936) White ROO Pads....Best Tenor Ever!
    "Just noticed that the "lol" symbol looks like a drowning guy, and all you see is his head and arms sticking out of the water. I bet he's not laughing out loud!"

My Website is ONLINE!!!! SAXESANDAXES.COM
    Like us on Facebook!!! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Saxes...32078803475235

Many thanks. That is really helpful. It doesn't sound like something I need to pay too much attention to. I have never played a saxophone and know very little about them, so it's good to get advice from the experts...

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

I would say try both types and see what you prefer. I play a Conn 10m which does not have a tilting mechanism. I dont miss it, but if you are used to that, its very hard to live without it.
    CONN 10M (1936) White ROO Pads....Best Tenor Ever!
    "Just noticed that the "lol" symbol looks like a drowning guy, and all you see is his head and arms sticking out of the water. I bet he's not laughing out loud!"

My Website is ONLINE!!!! SAXESANDAXES.COM
    Like us on Facebook!!! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Saxes...32078803475235

As I have never played a single note on a saxophone, the difference between tilting and non-tilting is lost on me. That's lucky in that if I do end up buying one without the tilting mechanism, I won't know what I'm missing... :-)

Distinguished SOTW Technician Stephen Howard's Avatar

A point to bear in mind is that the tilting table is a mechanism, and as such it's only as good as the level of quality to which it's built.
    While a good one can feel balanced and responsive, a poorly made one can feel vague and spongy.

I wouldn't worry too much about selecting a horn for this feature - at this stage of the game it'll be quite a long time before you can realise the benefits of such a mechanism.

Regards,
    Stephen Howard
    www.shwoodwind.co.uk
    - Woodwind instrument repairs & period restorations
    Author, Haynes Saxophone Manual, Haynes Clarinet Manual

Thank you. I think I am learning towards buying a very cheap Chinese horn for now, and hoping that it'll be one of the gems thatare out there, but fully expecting to have to replace it in a year or two. That way, I will at least get to know if the sax is the instrument for me.

I was very interested in this question as I've never had a horn without one, but wasn't quite sure what it was. I found this explanation:
    "Tilting table or tilting spatula refers to the key touches operated by the LH pinky finger. If equipped with a "tilting" mechanism, the low Bb touchpiece will tilt back when the low C# is depressed, allowing an easier transition between notes. This feature was made popular on the Selmer Mark VI in 1954and has been adopted by many other makers since."

I was unable to resist getting this saxophone. It might not be QUITE as good as the Selmer Mark VI, but I might be lucky. And at this price, this won't go down in history as one of most reckless financial decisions, even if it isn't very good at all. I just hope it will be good enough for this impoverished old man to learn on.

http://www.music123.com/Woodwinds/Sa...585010.product