P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Beginners/Intermediates post your recordings here Nov.2011 - 2012

Default Re: Beginners/Intermediates post your recordings here Nov.2011 -

Quote Originally Posted by mrpeebee View Post
    Tom, doesn't living in the UK mean that every Sunday is wet ?

I like that Ellington tune, nice slow version and very good backing. Your playing was fine and in good control, nothing wrong with that . Soundwise I would try to play it at places with a bit more loose embrouchure, to get some more different colours in the tune.
    Hi Peter, I didn't know it was an " Ellington " tune, I found plenty of versions by a whole host of jazz and blues artists..You are quite right it's always wey on a Sunday.. Thanks for the advice on the playing side of things. It is all very welcome..

On another topic. " Alone Together " has kind of slowed right down. Perhaps with just a week left it might be OK if someone started thinking about next months tune??

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008 The A Train's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oilywrag View Post
    Perhaps with just a week left it might be OK if someone started thinking about next months tune??

I don't know who's been nominated to pick this month but may I make a suggestion to whoever it is? We've been doing ballads for awhile now I think we should take a break from the slow stuff and do something funky. I've been wanting to try this tune: http://youtu.be/_Ago8dP4fFA ...it would be a great change of pace and could be done jazzy or rockin' so the variety of takes would be great. Just my opinion, we welcome yours.

Distinguished SOTW Member/ Content Expert
    Forum Contributor 2014

Hi Peter, I didn't know it was an " Ellington " tune, I found plenty of versions by a whole host of jazz and blues artists..You are quite right it's always wey on a Sunday.. Thanks for the advice on the playing side of things. It is all very welcome..

On another topic. " Alone Together " has kind of slowed right down. Perhaps with just a week left it might be OK if someone started thinking about next months tune??
    You're right Tom, I just found >here< that it's not an Ellington tune at all . Anyhow, it sounds like an Ellington tune to me !

Quote Originally Posted by The A Train View Post
    I don't know who's been nominated to pick this month but may I make a suggestion to whoever it is? We've been doing ballads for awhile now I think we should take a break from the slow stuff and do something funky. I've been wanting to try this tune: http://youtu.be/_Ago8dP4fFA ...it would be a great change of pace and could be done jazzy or rockin' so the variety of takes would be great. Just my opinion, we welcome yours.
    I think it's a good idea to let you decide about next month tune Alan. Can't listen to the YouTube clip being at work, but I will give it a try anyhow (even if I wouldn't like it) . Found some info on the tune here: http://www.jazzguitar.be/store/eddie-harris.html
    Last edited by mrpeebee; 01-27-2012 at 04:42 PM.

T : Selmer SBA serial 50xxx (1952) - Otto Link Florida no USA 10* - La Voz medium
    A : Klingsor serial 016xx (early 60's) - Otto Link STM 9* - Rico Royal 2.5
    SoundClick | YouTube | SOTW Blues (Round 8) | Mouthpiece Pictures

What else can you on a wet Sunday other than try and play some sax " Gee Baby" http://www.box.com/s/4crhmvusiiajkvnoo6sf

Tom
    Nicely done Tom, you're progressing all the time way to go.

I really like the idea of Cold Duck Time. Never played it, but I do have a backing and it sounds like a fun one.
    "If it ain't fun, I want no part of it, man. That's the only reason I play." - Phil Woods

Cold Duck time is a hoot!!! I had a quick run-through over lunch and this was the result:

Some other cheap sparkling wine

Confirms that my sound is pretty thin when I get up in the higher register (I need some long-tones).
    "If it ain't fun, I want no part of it, man. That's the only reason I play." - Phil Woods

You never played that Claude??? You did a hellava job! You seemed very comfortable with the improv and there were some stellar parts there.

Here is one of my favorite versions: Skinny Williams ...his solo just knocks my socks off! Maybe someone like Rockplayer, Bill Mecca or Mark can rock one out like that.

Jersey Shore, Pine Barrens, at Home, at work, or anyplace in between

Wow, SKinny is a big guy, that tenor looks like an alto in his hands!
    Now to get a great backing like that, and a lead sheet. have to look thru my resources... but this week is a wash... documentary shoot, funeral and dental work... it never ends...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Mecca View Post
    Wow, SKinny is a big guy, that tenor looks like an alto in his hands!
    I think he has a great rockin' sound so I wrote to him a short while back through his website and asked his setup on that tune and he wrote back:

Hey Alan, my setup is: fatboy mpc, 3.5 Gonzalez reeds, selmer series ll tenor

Thanx Skinny Williams

I'm pretty sure a fatboy is an early Guardala.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Mecca View Post
    this week is a wash... documentary shoot, funeral and dental work... it never ends...
    Well this is a nominee for February not January, I think Cleger just decided to jump early before tax season takes him out of the loop ..I've got to get you those Bergs soon so you can maybe try them on this one when you do get a chance. I've got a HR and a metal coming your way. Just been lazy getting to the post office..

Jersey Shore, Pine Barrens, at Home, at work, or anyplace in between

oooh goodies in the mail... ;-) I was just sitting there thinking how after the holiday things were in a lull period, but it's been short lived...which is a good thing. I don't do bored well. ;-)

let me know when you hit up Mr. Postman and I'll keep an eye out... thanks..

I would hate to think it was the "other" Fatboy.

Hey Claude, sounds like you are getting back into the swing of things after the Xmas break.. Alan sounds like an interesting tune to play..Might even inspire " Mr Mecca " to take up the challenge???

Quote Originally Posted by The A Train View Post
    You never played that Claude??? You did a hellava job! You seemed very comfortable with the improv and there were some stellar parts there.
    Thanks Alan and Tom. This seems to be one of those tunes that just feels natural from the first attempt. It doesn't happen that often so I just enjoy it when it happens.

Like someone else I went back and had a look at this tune, No head, just 1 chorus of a new mel/solo...One O'clock...well just past..

http://www.box.com/s/cpm1gtbztjyczc0lqk19

Like someone else I went back and had a look at this tune, No head, just 1 chorus of a new mel/solo...One O'clock...well just past..

Wow that was pretty cool !
    Were you making that up as you went along, or were you reading ?
    Captain Clam

Quote Originally Posted by Face Ache Mike View Post
    That Dulfer stuff was twaddle in comparison. Oh and she should wear a bra.
    Sorry Mike I cant agree with that statement :tsk: Ms Dulfer covers all bases great player, pleasent on the eye, pleasent on the ear, great to watch live and even more so - sans lingerie

Nicely played, I enjoyed what you came up with.

Your tone and control are coming along very nicely as well. I was left wanting more at the end of this recording.

Brendan, After reading something Dave posted a few weeks ago, I went back to this melody and used the dots more as a giude rarther than a have to play line..So part read, part improv on the fly..
    Claude, thanks for that, this was never meant to be a stand alone piece of music.. If I played " Round Midnight" it would be the 2nd chorus,,well that was the general idea..

Tom

I went back to this melody and used the dots more as a guide rather than a have to play line
    Well .. I'm impressed - when I try to do that, I get stuck right away !!
    Captain Clam

Forum Contributor 2014

Quote Originally Posted by cleger View Post
    Cold Duck time is a hoot!!! I had a quick run-through over lunch and this was the result:

Some other cheap sparkling wine

Confirms that my sound is pretty thin when I get up in the higher register (I need some long-tones).
    Wow Claude, a very energetic played track, very enjoyable to listen too . Liked the scream at 1:41! Agree with your remark on the sound.

T : Selmer SBA serial 50xxx (1952) - Otto Link Florida no USA 10* - La Voz medium

Forum Contributor 2014

Very nice Tom . Liked especially your relaxed timing and great sound (nice loose embouchure!) in this track, IMO one of the best sounding clips of you sofar.

Brendan, I wrote this melody about 6 months ago, but couldn't get near it playing wise, this time round I just used my own dots as a guide rather than THE right thing to play.
    Peter, Thanks for having a listen, glad you liked it..

Page 27 of 106 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233343536373839404142434445464748495077 ... LastLast