P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Beginners/Intermediates post your recordings here Nov.2011 - 2012

Forum Contributor 2009 & Mouthpiece Patch Mogul Face Ache Mike's Avatar

Default Re: Beginners/Intermediates post your recordings here Nov.2011 -

I recorded this a couple of weeks ago but didn`t mention it at the time: Soppy, Sentimental Song

I think this is me at my best, following the melody on a sheet then adding a few other bits to fill in the gaps.

This one from a few days ago too: Love Letters, a few things didn`t work out but I liked the tune so much I might re-jig it so we can play it at the band.

Quote Originally Posted by Face Ache Mike View Post
    I recorded this a couple of weeks ago but didn`t mention it at the time: Soppy, Sentimental Song
    You should have mentioned it .. it sounds great - very expressive!
    I added some comments at Soundcloud.

This one from a few days ago too: Love Letters, a few things didn`t work out but I liked the tune so much I might re-jig it so we can play it at the band.
    Right into the palm keys on that one !
    Captain Clam

Distinguished SOTW Member/ Content Expert
    Forum Contributor 2014

I think this is me at my best, following the melody on a sheet then adding a few other bits to fill in the gaps.

Very nice stuff Mike, good you posted it . I loved the Love Letters tune and backing, good full sound of you too.

T : Selmer SBA serial 50xxx (1952) - Otto Link Florida no USA 10* - La Voz medium
    A : Klingsor serial 016xx (early 60's) - Otto Link STM 9* - Rico Royal 2.5
    SoundClick | YouTube | SOTW Blues (Round 8) | Mouthpiece Pictures

Regarding the chord substitution stuff, I came across the following in my unrelated travels, seemed to seep into my head a little more (it is a guitar-related page though.) http://www.maximummusician.com/articlechordprimer.htm

Regarding the earlier topic of preferring to read than think of improv on the spot, if you haven't already, give pre-writing your solo a shot.
    I've been thinking that all my solos tend to be in a very small range of notes, eventually moving down or up.
    For this month's main TOTM (Cantaloupe Island, http://snd.sc/zgEEXJ), I decided to try something with larger intervals (up and down 5ths for example, from C to G) in it, so I wrote out a chorus (for the soprano clarinet part, here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8100788/IMG_20120120_220150.jpg), trying to use greater intervals. Sure, it sounded a bit cheesy but I think it helped to start getting my mind to think in different ways. All the other choruses were my usual going with the flow.

Don't make what you write out too hard for yourself though! I had to have some time out to cool down :-/ after trying (and failing many, many times) to play the part I wrote out! (I'm just a few months in beginning on the Clarinet...)

Cheers,

Dave

Hey Mike, I don't know about soppy, but the second half sounds really relaxed and very good..As for " Love Letters" sounds very good as well..A tip for something to try after you have fnished recording your take. Duplicate the track and listen to the difference it makes..

Tom

Tom, I`ve been recording with two mics lately, to get a stereo effect and show a little movement. I did sometimes double a mono track up and pan it out in the past, certainly beefs up the sound.

Thanks for the comments and encouragement guys

Jersey Shore, Pine Barrens, at Home, at work, or anyplace in between

you are all sounding good. me? I have little motivation to play these days. might find it again, might not. ;-/

Forum Contributor 2014

Come on Bill, we need that booming R&R sound of you here . Motivation comes in waves, I guess and hope you will find it back soon.

T : Selmer SBA serial 50xxx (1952) - Otto Link Florida no USA 10* - La Voz medium

Quote Originally Posted by eldavo View Post
    so I wrote out a chorus (for the soprano clarinet part, here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8100788/IMG_20120120_220150.jpg), trying to use greater intervals.
    Thumbs up for the hand drawn staff and bar lines !!
    Captain Clam

Way to go Mike, those were very well-played. Your tone and musicality has come along in leaps and bounds over the past few months.
    "If it ain't fun, I want no part of it, man. That's the only reason I play." - Phil Woods

I think I am getting close to the start of my forced winter hiatus so I am trying to play as much as i can before the avalanche of work starts. Today, I was cold and it was starting to snow a bit and although we have had an easy winter so far I was feeling a bit of the winter blahs setting in. As a result I played this:

Up Jumped Spring

There's a lot I could learn from a tune like this, but I'm in "just play the damned thing" mode so I just blew through it. I will try to get down to learning some more some time in the future, for now I just need to play.

I'm editing to add my own comment about this recording. In hindsight I probably shouldn't have posted it, I think I have been going backwards lately due to my spotty practice routine. I'll leave it up as a cautionary tale for those who don't practice enough :tsk:
    "If it ain't fun, I want no part of it, man. That's the only reason I play." - Phil Woods

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008 The A Train's Avatar

Speaking of our problems soloing over the changes here is Candy Dulfer showing how to pick up the pieces: http://youtu.be/wpFvk0VlVvg (loved the way she traded with the drummer)

Quote Originally Posted by cleger View Post
    Way to go Mike, those were very well-played. Your tone and musicality has come along in leaps and bounds over the past few months.
    Thanks buddy. I like that you mentioned musicality because if it wasn`t for something Bill says, I wouldnt have got anywhere near there. "Make it musical", remember that Bill?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Mecca View Post
    you are all sounding good. me? I have little motivation to play these days. might find it again, might not. ;-/
    You will, when you get the feeling to. I wouldn`t sweat it if you don`t feel like it now. I think we al have times like that, and when we pick up the sax some later time, we either surprise ouselves with how good we play and how good it feels to play again, or we dont and we wait for another time for it to happen. A break does us good - so long as its not a permanent one

Quote Originally Posted by cleger View Post
    I think I am getting close to the start of my forced winter hiatus so I am trying to play as much as i can before the avalanche of work starts. Today, I was cold and it was starting to snow a bit and although we have had an easy winter so far I was feeling a bit of the winter blahs setting in. As a result I played this:

Up Jumped Spring

There's a lot I could learn from a tune like this, but I'm in "just play the damned thing" mode so I just blew through it. I will try to get down to learning some more some time in the future, for now I just need to play.

I'm editing to add my own comment about this recording. In hindsight I probably shouldn't have posted it, I think I have been going backwards lately due to my spotty practice routine. I'll leave it up as a cautionary tale for those who don't practice enough :tsk:
    You`re kidding? I started to listen to Ms Dulfer, but got bored with her and listened to yours instead. I`m now playing it again becaue I liked it so much. You`ve got character, feeling and meaning. That Dulfer stuff was twaddle in comparison. Oh and she should wear a bra.

You`re kidding? I started to listen to Ms Dulfer, but got bored with her and listened to yours instead. I`m now playing it again becaue I liked it so much. You`ve got character, feeling and meaning. That Dulfer stuff was twaddle in comparison. Oh and she should wear a bra.
    Hey Mike, thanks for the kind words (although I think the Candy being "twaddle" in comparison was laying it on a bit thick) I really needed that.

I do think that "twaddle" is my word of the day though:

LOL Well, I have to admit now, I didnt get as far as the drummer part, and now that I have, I enjoyed that part, thanks Alan. The first half was twaddle though

Hey Claude, very Benny Golson-esque in places..

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008 The A Train's Avatar

That Dulfer stuff was twaddle in comparison. Oh and she should wear a bra.
    What? No bra? Where? Didn't notice that! I did notice the legs though, I am a leg man. Oh, and I WISH I could twaddle like that!

Great playing/sound on Masquerade Mike! Makes me want to download it and mix some tenor in with you.

Cleg - Some nice light airy play on UJS..it felt Spring was in the air! Unfortunately I looked out the window and saw it wasn't..

What else can you on a wet Sunday other than try and play some sax " Gee Baby" http://www.box.com/s/4crhmvusiiajkvnoo6sf

Tom

Forum Contributor 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Oilywrag View Post
    What else can you on a wet Sunday other than try and play some sax " Gee Baby" http://www.box.com/s/4crhmvusiiajkvnoo6sf

Tom
    Tom, doesn't living in the UK mean that every Sunday is wet ?

I like that Ellington tune, nice slow version and very good backing. Your playing was fine and in good control, nothing wrong with that . Soundwise I would try to play it at places with a bit more loose embrouchure, to get some more different colours in the tune.

Page 26 of 106 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223242526272829303132333435363738394041424344454647484976 ... LastLast