Sax on the Web Forum banner

Reed recommendations/strengths for ted klum acoustimer .081?

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Vandlay 
#1 ·
Hi,

Any feedback appreciated. Have tried a lot of reed combinations with this mouthpiece. Seems to always be somewhat fuzzy. I dont seem to get the fuzziness on vandoren v16 mouthpieces. I know Will Vinson plays on this mouthpiece. Anyone know which reeds hes using?

#2 ·
Will uses Hemke 3s I think.

IMHO, you must bear in mind that Ted Klum applies a concavity to the tables of his pieces as standard; if you use a bad ligature, or over-tighten even a good one you may get a fuzzy or unreliable response because the reed is being distorted. Ted applies the concavity for a few reasons, all sound in theory, but I personally found that it didn't work for me. I contacted him and he re-faced (or replaced) the piece in question free of charge (great customer service btw!).

However, first stop might be to try a softer reed and a gently tightened lig to get the feel of the piece. My first purchase was an Acoustimer @ 80thou and I found a RSJ 3s worked better and clearer than my usual 3M or Java 3. YMMV as ever.

#3 ·
I like using Rigotti 4 mediums on mine, and I don't get any fuzzy response on it. I could see added fuzziness from using V16, Java, La Voz, reeds (or something with a similar cut). What I would assume is that you were more used to a "dead" blowing mouthpiece before using the Acoustimer. Also, I believe Will Vinson is now using an Acoustimax D.

Will uses Hemke 3s I think.

IMHO, you must bear in mind that Ted Klum applies a concavity to the tables of his pieces as standard; if you use a bad ligature, or over-tighten even a good one you may get a fuzzy or unreliable response because the reed is being distorted. Ted applies the concavity for a few reasons, all sound in theory, but I personally found that it didn't work for me. I contacted him and he re-faced (or replaced) the piece in question free of charge (great customer service btw!).

However, first stop might be to try a softer reed and a gently tightened lig to get the feel of the piece. My first purchase was an Acoustimer @ 80thou and I found a RSJ 3s worked better and clearer than my usual 3M or Java 3. YMMV as ever.
The old Otto Link and Meyer mouthpieces from yesteryear also had a concavity in the table. It doesn't mean that the table isn't flat where the reed touches it, it just means that there is a very very small well somewhere in between the heel of the reed and the start of the facing. I remember reading something about it in "saxjournal" years ago. It's got something to do with the swelling that naturally happens in a wet reed and your mouthpiece sealing. Meaning that without a concavity, the swollen area will then affect the facing (and response). All of the best pieces I've ever owned had a concavity in the table and I would assume that the problems that the OP is experiencing are a reed strength/cut issue more than anything.

If something still isn't right after going that route, contact Ted Klum mouthpieces and I'm positive that they will take care of you.

#4 ·
I like using Rigotti 4 mediums on mine, and I don't get any fuzzy response on it. I could see added fuzziness from using V16, Java, La Voz, reeds (or something with a similar cut). What I would assume is that you were more used to a "dead" blowing mouthpiece before using the Acoustimer.
Sorry, don't understand your logic there. I would expect a 'dead blowing' piece to be more prone to fuzziness.

The old Otto Link and Meyer mouthpieces from yesteryear also had a concavity in the table. It doesn't mean that the table isn't flat where the reed touches it, it just means that there is a very very small well somewhere in between the heel of the reed and the start of the facing. I remember reading something about it in "saxjournal" years ago. It's got something to do with the swelling that naturally happens in a wet reed and your mouthpiece sealing. Meaning that without a concavity, the swollen area will then affect the facing (and response). All of the best pieces I've ever owned had a concavity in the table and I would assume that the problems that the OP is experiencing are a reed strength/cut issue more than anything.
Yes, interesting; all I can say is that I have experienced none of my original problems with any of my 3 Klum pieces since they were replaced with flat table models, so, I figure it's the concavity that caused the problem. I agree that the theory is sound and if it works for you then all well and good, but the OP's symptoms of fuzziness particularly remind me of the problems I had with 2 Klum pieces. I'll be interested to hear how it goes.

#5 ·
I used Hemke 3s for a while but that didn't last long and they get really soft. I use RSJ 3S and they work well with the acoustimax. I'm waiting for my rigotti's to come in off back order. I really like the Roberto's Winds ebony ligature paired with the acoustimax...gives plenty of power and great response.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.