Antigua Winds

P Mauriat

Thread: Small fault in build

Default Small fault in build

Classic bare brass tenor bought a couple of years ago now, and only recently had this fault pointed out to me by a sax tech a few days ago.

The bottom C key protector is soldered a little out of center. When releasing the C key after pressing, it doesn't hit the protector center on, where the felt is. Instead it's metal to metal and makes a clear and distinct clinking sound which I'm now very aware of after having it pointed out to me.

It's not a major problem obviously, and the horn still plays fantastic and I wouldn't dream of parting with it. My tech says it's a great horn other than this, and it's part of what I assume might be a quality control issue.

Default Re: Small fault in build

If you mean the key guard, it is an easy repair for a tech to resolder the foot in the correct location.

That's right. He mentioned he could do it, but I didn't want any possible blemishes on the bare brass.

Don't worry about bare brass blemishes, in fact that's the easiest finish to solder on. Age will make the area repaired patina over time. Get it fixed!!

Distinguished SOTW Technician Stephen Howard's Avatar

Has it always clanked?
    If not then it probably just means the bumper felt has compressed over time. It either needs replacing or you need to turn the adjuster to bring a thicker section of felt into play.

If it has always clanked then you may need to fit a thicker bumper felt and then back the adjuster off to reset the key height.

Regards,
    Stephen Howard
    www.shwoodwind.co.uk
    - Woodwind instrument repairs & period restorations
    Author, Haynes Saxophone Manual, Haynes Clarinet Manual

@Stephen Howard - I'll have a look at that Stephen, hopefully it's as simple as that. I can't remember it clinking b4 this was pointed out for me, but now I hear it all the time. Thanks

@William Bua - If I need to I'll get it done Bill. Thanks

Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and 2014 Forum Contributor maddenma's Avatar
    Park Slope, Brooklyn, NY, USA, Earth, Orion's Arm, Milky Way, Virgo Super Cluster, Known Universe

A bare brass horn isn't going to get a permanent blemish from a resolder. It will just have a little character mark for a little while, but before you know it you won't be able to see it anymore.

I had a number of things moved around on my bare brass Big B baritone recently -- 4 months ago. Yeah, it was obvious for a little while, but they're fading fast and unless you knew the horn you wouldn't notice it now.

Different story with a lacquered or plated horn though.
    1926 Buescher True Tone Series III Gold Plated Soprano -- Morgan Vintage 6
    1936 Buescher Custom Built Bare Brass Baritone -- Strathon 8*
    1938 Buescher Aristocrat "Custom Built" Gold Plated Baritone -- Strathon 8*
    1939 Buescher Aristocrat Silver Plated Series I Alto -- Ishimori Traditional Jazz 7, TW Durga 8
    1947 Buescher 400 B-11 "Top Hat & Cane" Bare Brass Tenor -- TW Durga 8
    1949 Buescher Aristocrat "Big B" Lacquer Alto -- Ishimori Traditional Jazz 7
    1949 Buescher Aristocrat Gold Plated "Big B" Tenor -- TW Durga 8
    1980-something Yamaha YBS-61 Baritone -- Strathon 8*

Nothing works so well in gathering information as a display of ignorance. I've been learning a lot lately.