Antigua Winds
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Default Re: Favorite Christian Sax Players

There are many fantastic sax players. I have studied and listened to so many. My take on who is the greatest player is obviously is in the ear of the beholder. I believe once a player reaches a certain platoe there all equally as good. How do you compare, Stan Getz to Charlie Parker, or Gerald Albright to Ace Cannon, Reggie Lafaye to Dave Vail. Each of these players have their own unique style, they each bring excellance to the stage. Each have their own tricks and sounds. It would be great to put the top players on stage and let them rip it, smooth it, riff it out. I usually look for players who are versitile, can do the blues, rock, smooth Jazz, soul, etc. There aren't many who can do that. I like Vail because he has great technique, Reggie cut his teeth on the blues, but can copy Kenny G when needed or David Sanborn. Reggie masterfully plays all three saxes, Soprano, Alto and Tenor, as do many other players. Albright uses the Alto and Tenor, the same with Kenny G. So, who's the best. There all great players. Who's the best singer Celine Dion, or Carry Underwood, neither, their both excellant and have different styles. The greatest players I have come to know are the ones who share their soul, conversation, techniques, and love to their audiance. That's my take on it!

Danny Jung!
    Just because people play songs with great technique doesn't mean the records are better.
    -Kenny G

Forum Contributor 2011
    SOTW's pedantic pet rodent

Quote Originally Posted by regmark7 View Post
    Albright uses the Alto and Tenor, the same with Kenny G. So, who's the best. There all great players. Who's the best singer Celine Dion, or Carry Underwood, neither, their both excellant and have different styles. The greatest players I have come to know are the ones who share their soul, conversation, techniques, and love to their audiance. That's my take on it!
    Well dear old Kenny's been called many things on this board, but a Christian??!!! Now there I think we have to draw the line.
    "The sound of tireless voices is the price we pay for the right to hear the music of our own opinions."

Quote Originally Posted by RootyTootoot View Post
    Well dear old Kenny's been called many things on this board, but a Christian??!!! Now there I think we have to draw the line.
    He's as Christian as Marty.
    Sound guy theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- 3dB)
    Sax player theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- .010" at the tip)
    "Free jazz is the vegemite of the musical world. It's an acquired taste."-J. Jacques

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar

How do you know he didn't convert?

Forum Contributor 2011
    SOTW's pedantic pet rodent

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Thomas View Post
    If he did, I should think some kind Episcopalian is about to inform me of the fact and then give me a good verbal slapping.
    "The sound of tireless voices is the price we pay for the right to hear the music of our own opinions."

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Thomas View Post
    I googled it to make sure, of course.
    Sound guy theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- 3dB)
    Sax player theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- .010" at the tip)
    "Free jazz is the vegemite of the musical world. It's an acquired taste."-J. Jacques

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hakukani View Post
    I googled it to make sure, of course.
    Ah, but I haven't put it on Wikipedia yet.

The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum Contributor 2014 gary's Avatar
    Hawaiian homey, German resident, doing time in Texas

If he did, I should think some kind Episcopalian is about to inform me of the fact and then give me a good verbal slapping.
    Yes, the verbal slapping. And then, at Castle Anthrax, the Anglican slap from Zoot. Naughty Zoot. And then the slapping for everyone.

TK Melody UL soprano
    Selmer S80 Serie II alto
    Julius Keilwerth SX90R tenor

Tim Green, Donald Hayes, Merlon Divine, Kirk Whalum, and The OG of GOSPEL Saxophone......., Vernard Johhson!!

If you don't know some of the names above, please YOu-tube them. I promise, you'll be blessed!!

Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 2013-Present diesel11679's Avatar

Merlon Devine, Antonio Allen
    TENOR: Couf Superba 1 (1986), PMS Handmade Guardala MB
    ALTO: Selmer Paris Super Action 80 (1985), Phil-Tone Rift
    SOPRANO: Yanagisawa S6 (1977), SopranoPlanet Axieme
    MIC: AMT WI5IIC EFFECTS: TC Helicon VoiceLive 3
    INTERFACE: RME Babyface IEMS: 1964Ears V6

“You can't speak Music with notes alone, but you can speak Music without notes at all!" Victor L. Wooten

Way too many Christians. Not enough Sax Players!!!!!!

Just saw one of those "Christian Saxophonists" Kirk Whalum live for the first time at his Gospel According to Jazz - Christmas show at Temple Church in Nashville Tennessee. It was a great show with some very talented musicians and singers and in a wonderful venue - a large and very beautiful church. The theme of the show was Christian spiritual with singers, musicians and the audience professing their faith in the spirit of the season. Next shows are in Texas. Highly recommended. http://kirkwhalum.com/

Distinguished SOTW Technician
    Forum Contributor 2013

Yes, going to see Kirk's show here in Houston Friday night. When Kirk was a Houstonian back in the 1980's, I got to go out and listen to his group often. Those were the days! Rockefellers was a great night club with a lot of live jazz. Now it is a banquet hall Who cares, I get to see Kirk again this Friday

It has been a long while since I drug my poor wife to a jazz concert, but Amber Bullock is a gospel singer that she loves. I know she'll like this concert as much as I will.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345