Sax on the Web Forum banner

Favorite Christian Sax Players

41K views 93 replies 52 participants last post by  Jorns Bergenson 
#1 ·
Anybody have any favorite Christian sax players? The only one I can think of is Justo Almario... some incredible parts on some of Tommy Walker's songs.

He's going to be at the Willow Creek conference in June, but I haven't decided if I'm going yet.

#79 ·
Hey - If you look in Rhapsody you can find Sam Levine's latest album, "Smooth Praise". Absolutely awesome! Check it out! Sam is really cool - I have emailed him regarding his setup and recommendations and he always responds with more than I have asked for. Great guy, IMO!

Glenn

#81 ·
There are many fantastic sax players. I have studied and listened to so many. My take on who is the greatest player is obviously is in the ear of the beholder. I believe once a player reaches a certain platoe there all equally as good. How do you compare, Stan Getz to Charlie Parker, or Gerald Albright to Ace Cannon, Reggie Lafaye to Dave Vail. Each of these players have their own unique style, they each bring excellance to the stage. Each have their own tricks and sounds. It would be great to put the top players on stage and let them rip it, smooth it, riff it out. I usually look for players who are versitile, can do the blues, rock, smooth Jazz, soul, etc. There aren't many who can do that. I like Vail because he has great technique, Reggie cut his teeth on the blues, but can copy Kenny G when needed or David Sanborn. Reggie masterfully plays all three saxes, Soprano, Alto and Tenor, as do many other players. Albright uses the Alto and Tenor, the same with Kenny G. So, who's the best. There all great players. Who's the best singer Celine Dion, or Carry Underwood, neither, their both excellant and have different styles. The greatest players I have come to know are the ones who share their soul, conversation, techniques, and love to their audiance. That's my take on it!

#83 ·
Albright uses the Alto and Tenor, the same with Kenny G. So, who's the best. There all great players. Who's the best singer Celine Dion, or Carry Underwood, neither, their both excellant and have different styles. The greatest players I have come to know are the ones who share their soul, conversation, techniques, and love to their audiance. That's my take on it!
Well dear old Kenny's been called many things on this board, but a Christian??!!! Now there I think we have to draw the line. :mrgreen:

#93 ·
Just saw one of those "Christian Saxophonists" Kirk Whalum live for the first time at his Gospel According to Jazz - Christmas show at Temple Church in Nashville Tennessee. It was a great show with some very talented musicians and singers and in a wonderful venue - a large and very beautiful church. The theme of the show was Christian spiritual with singers, musicians and the audience professing their faith in the spirit of the season. Next shows are in Texas. Highly recommended. http://kirkwhalum.com/

#94 ·
Yes, going to see Kirk's show here in Houston Friday night. When Kirk was a Houstonian back in the 1980's, I got to go out and listen to his group often. Those were the days! Rockefellers was a great night club with a lot of live jazz. Now it is a banquet hall :( Who cares, I get to see Kirk again this Friday :)

It has been a long while since I drug my poor wife to a jazz concert, but Amber Bullock is a gospel singer that she loves. I know she'll like this concert as much as I will.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.