Antigua Winds
AW Reeds
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

The infamous "Saxboy" is Greg Vail. His site is www.gregvail.com. Greg is a very talented musician, and a great guy.

If you haven't checked out his stuff, you really should. Greg was the first jazz/gospel musician that I started listening to before I really got into that genre of music. He has sound clips on his site, so you should stop by and listen, it's worth it.

Default Favorite Christian Sax Players

Great string of posts. I've collected all of the names and sites, and blogrolled them over at http://enviroguy.blogspot.com. Drop by when you get time.
    gb/db
    (The Evangelical Ecologist and tenor player for Alpine Christian Fellowship, acffamily.com)

Cool Re: Favorite Christian Sax Players

If you are looking for music by Dan Traxler, you should actually visit this link: http://iacmusic.com/Artist.aspx?ID=94461 It only has 2 tunes but definitely a better quality recording than what has been floating around the web over the years.

Give it a fresh listen. It's pretty good actually. The finesse of the classically trained saxophonist is reserved for classical music. With these tracks, I hear a man who has "been there/done that" and allows the horn to speak with emotion as opposed to simply reciting from the ink blots dabbled on paper by Bach or Mozart. While all music is music, it cannot be compared to itself very accurately. Sax players and saxophonists, blues and jazz,... It can be slippery when comparing - much like offering a comparison of Steve Vai and Andre Segovia - both use their left hands to stifle vibrations but afterwards the similarities end.

Default Re: Favorite Christian Sax Players

Apart from Candy this diva is the blowingest female. Check out her latest at
    http://www.angellachristie.com/ Click enter
    JJ DV 8* - Saxxas lig Fibracell Premier 3.5

This is a thread mentioning so many people I've never heard, or even heard of. Someone who makes a point of expressing his Christian beliefs in his music and is also a remarkable saxophonist is Charles Gayle. He takes us back to the feeling of Coltrane's "The Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost", but I think Coltrane was prepared to look for God in many places, not just the Christian tradition.

Distinguished SOTW Technician Doc Frazier's Avatar

Doc Frazier
    www.JandJWoodwinds.com
    1-866-996-6394

The arrangement of "Jesus paid it all" sounds like Kirk Whalum's.

Doc Frazier, what's your son's setup?

Distinguished SOTW Technician Doc Frazier's Avatar

bare brass CB tenor, gold plated Dukoff 9, Link lig, Hemke 3 1/2.........and he's only 22! He is working on his 2nd CD and it's pretty wild, a lot of contemporary praise charts.
    Doc Frazier
    www.JandJWoodwinds.com
    1-866-996-6394

He's good...keep encouraging him!

Über Geek
    Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SOTW Member

Pantheologist butting in here. Hey Greg... have you run into my friends Craig and Mary Durst?

2azz1

I think they consider themselves to be more of a " crossover," or smooth jazz group, but I think they include a couple of worship cuts on their CDs, and they're definitely cool people.

-Leanne
    "Nothing is worse for a musician than getting an opportunity you aren't prepared for." - Quincy Jones

Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member Swampcabbage's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaijin-san View Post
    Anybody have any favorite Christian sax players? The only one I can think of is Justo Almario... some incredible parts on some of Tommy Walker's songs.

He's going to be at the Willow Creek conference in June, but I haven't decided if I'm going yet.

Mr. Almario is amazing. I was first turned on to his playing with Koinonia. That was a really amazing band.

I gotta say I saw this thread and thought "don't rise to it"... I read the posts and thought "nah Dan, just leave it" but....<edited>

Read 1 Corinthians Paul makes it clear there is no Christian pecking order so guys just listen to whoever you want, there is no such things as 'Christian' music!! Music is music

As for Saxophone players this forum just loves having polls and 'who's the best' come on as Christians shouldn't the whole point be about first being last etc??

'Look as it as simply another genre' WHAT!!! ok exactly my point, the 'Christian' music industry generates 8&#37; of sales in the US, that's more than 'Jazz' ...I'm gonna stop before I get booted off....
    Last edited by Dan Forshaw; 07-26-2008 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Ah I shouldn't vent on here just go back and practice
    Learn saxophone the Cambridge way - Innovative and interesting video saxophone lessons from the heart of Cambridge

http://www.danforshaw.com Get four free lessons from me today http://lessons.cambridgesaxophone.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gaijin-san View Post
    Anybody have any favorite Christian sax players? The only one I can think of is Justo Almario... some incredible parts on some of Tommy Walker's songs.

He's going to be at the Willow Creek conference in June, but I haven't decided if I'm going yet.
    Guys you need to hear Reggie Lafaye known as Mr. Gospel Sax, Boots said he was the best, I would have to agree. go to www.reggielafaye.com music and video available

Quote Originally Posted by saxgirl9 View Post
    The infamous "Saxboy" is Greg Vail. His site is www.gregvail.com. Greg is a very talented musician, and a great guy.

If you haven't checked out his stuff, you really should. Greg was the first jazz/gospel musician that I started listening to before I really got into that genre of music. He has sound clips on his site, so you should stop by and listen, it's worth it.
    Check out Reggie Lafaye, Boots deemed him the best around www.reggielafaye.com

check out Reggie Lafaye at www.reggielafaye.com, Boots Randolph deemed him the top dog.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

self deleted... sorry
    Last edited by jrvinson45; 05-05-2010 at 09:11 PM. Reason: ... post is like resurrection of the dead itself... newest post was 2 yrs. old...
    "Zoot" would a good name for a kid...

Forum Contributor 2011

Yusef Lateef

...sorry;rolleyes;

Hey - If you look in Rhapsody you can find Sam Levine's latest album, "Smooth Praise". Absolutely awesome! Check it out! Sam is really cool - I have emailed him regarding his setup and recommendations and he always responds with more than I have asked for. Great guy, IMO!

Glenn

Anybody heard of Mark Bunny? my old teacher knows him, not sure weather he actually taught him though......turns out he's a pretty good Gospel sax player....
    www.markbunny.com

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast