P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Christian Sax Players

The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum Contributor 2014 gary's Avatar
    Hawaiian homey, German resident, doing time in Texas

Well, I've been biting my tongue since I first read the topic because this thread could go downhill quick and then get pulled and the original question is a search for sax players within a certain genre.

But since the subject has been broached, I'll go ahead and say that I am uncomfortable with the use of "Christian" in this context, which comes from a certain exclusivistic and judgemental interpretation of just who and what merits the term. In this "Christian" community, midstream Episcopalians, Catholics, Lutherans, Orthodox, etc are not included because they do not fall within that evangelic tradition. And certainly not Mormons.

So, if you go into most "Christian" bookstores, you will not find Luther's Little Catechism and you'll be lucky to find Augustine's City of God. If you go to the "Christian" music section you will not find Stravinsky's Requium or Bach's St. Luke's Passion, Christian music if I've ever heard it.

And if anyone thinks this "Christian" music community is widely ecumenical, they should consider the ostracisation and storm of criticism Amy Grant had to endure when she began producing pop records versus "Christian" ones.

Sorry if this offends anyone but bigotry of any type offends me.

Distinguished SOTW Member

Amen to that gary (& Razzy)!

i know you guys want to voice your opinions and all (forgive me for i'm a young 'un), but no one was really concerned about beliefs and such - just about favorite christian saxophonists, or saxophonists who are christian, i dont know

so...how about we get back to the subject?
    i'd like to get more names to add to my list so i can make look for them later. does anyone know any good bands w/saxophones in them like big daddy weave? i'd like to listen to more sax where there's a whole band w/singer as opposed to a solo artist and stuff. thx

and "lol" at stitch for saying "amen" to what gary and razzy said

The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum Contributor 2014 gary's Avatar
    Hawaiian homey, German resident, doing time in Texas

Asian(-Pacific) Sax- Off topic but where you from? I'm from Kailua (Oahu) and went grad McKinley. One year at the U.H. too. Aloha!

One of the great things that I personally believe God gave humans was the ability to create along with free will. In opening up a non-specific topic like this, I was not sure where it would go... and that's just fine with me. I'm fascinated by wherever the thread might go and will read all of it.

On another note, I don't think I've sensed an ounce of bigotry in this thread thus far, though the phrase "any form of bigotry offends me" could be interpreted as bigotry in its own right, as you're not willing to tolerate a bigot.

Anyway, I suppose the word "bigot" or "bigotry" is often mis-used, as it is not simply intolerance, but unreasoning intolerance or prejudice.

Now, on yet a different note, while we're speaking in this vein, I struggle with the issue of individuals being open-minded or closed-minded. The world today tells us that it is best if everyone is completely open-minded. Yet I feel that if an individual has been open-minded throughout their life and finally discovers truth, then that individual is in the right to hold to that truth or belief in that truth. Again, I suppose we get down to the definition of the word, though, as someone who is closed-minded won't even listen to or examine/study new ideas/thoughts, he or she is completely unreceptive. So there is a difference between being purely closed-minded and being open-minded but having pre-formed beliefs or opinions.

Anyway, like Asian Sax, I wouldn't be opposed to getting back to the title of the thread. You see, I'm simply interested in a genre of musical talent that happens to be Christian and/or espouse Christianity. I did not make any statements against musicians who happen to be buddhist, muslim, hindu, jainist, or followers of the ba'hai faith. While I may think personally that those individuals are being led astray, that has no bearing on whether or not I will listen to and enjoy their music. However, I happen to be searching for Christian music at this time.

Suppose I were to be searching for "Favorite Kenny Garrett-like saxophonists..." That thread would surely NOT be the place to suggest that Kenny Garrett's style is all wrong, that I should instead listen to the likes of David Sanborn, Charlie Parker, Dave Koz, Gato Barbieri, etc, etc. It WOULD be the place to suggest I continue to listen to Kenny Garrett as well as some perhaps well-less known saxophonists that have a style similar to Kenny Garrett.

Ok, with a post like this, I suppose I've touched on so many topics this thread could shoot off in hundreds of directions. But like I said, if you read the title again, you ought to have some idea what direction the thread was intended to go (I enjoy reading it regardless).

Gaijin-san,

Very well put, this is not a topic to expound upon you beliefs or disbeliefs. It is a topic that was opened to discover some saxophonists that consider themselves Christians or play Christian music.

If you are offended by the topic, then goe somewhere else. Lets go forward. If someone wants to, they could open a topic "favorite atheist saxophonists" or "favorite buddist saxophonists". I wouldn't be offended or feel that I need to explain my views on life in those topics.

Forum Contributor 2014

I am guessing the original intent of the post was one of 2 things - either to discover Christians who also happen to be saxophone players to maybe identify on a deeper level with them, since Gaijin obviously has an interest in both Christianity and saxophone music OR maybe he was looking for additional Christian music to listen to, learn to play, reflect on etc..... OR a third possibility just occured to me - maybe its both?? In any event I see nothing 'offensive' in this at all.

Personally, I learned something new - I didn't know Greg Vail did Christain music - very cool. I had a copy of 'Sax By Candlelight' already. I plan on picking up some more of his stuff. He's Talented guy who is making a living doing what we all seem to enjoy.

Distinguished SOTW Member Razzy's Avatar

Well I find this to be very cool actually, it's good to hear other perspectives on things... someone mentioned open vs. closed minds above, and here is my take: I think everyone is pretty much firm in their beliefs, after a certain age or mental maturity, but they still take into account other beliefs, accept the beliefs of others, and take something from or give something to the beliefs of others. I think this is one of the coolest human interactions that exists: conflict of beliefs (on a mature and non-violent level), each learning something from the other...

I also find it funny that the topic straying offended more people than did the religious issue 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Razzy
    I also find it funny that the topic straying offended more people than did the religious issue 8)
    is it so bad to want to hear about more sax artists?!?!?
    i like your last post, razzy. good stuff, very true

gary, nice to know that there's another "hawaiian" here in the forums! 8) i'm a senior at HBA and i'm going to washington university in st. louis next year.

You wanna hear an artist that really plays the sax not to mention exclusive christian music check out this female, no its not Candy...
    http://www.angellachristie.com/

Just to add my 2 cents on the topic of wether or not christian sax players should play secular music. Kirk Whalum does it but his secular performance supercedes his his gospel cuts. His exclusive christian album is called "Hymns". Secular music is often labeled devilish or worldly. Most of secular music is romantic ballads, etc. If we claim that christians should not perform secular songs then that would be like saying christians cannot be in love or should not advocate romance. With absolutely no intention of becoming biblical here...the entire book of "Songs of Solomon" is about love and lovers. Because a song or performance is not churchlike doesn't make it worldly. There are an awful lot of activities that christians can justifiably participate in which are not "christian" or "church-like". Now if the performance is blasphemous or un godly then thats a different matter.

Bill Clinton and Monica on backing vocals and policy on invading other teritories. And can saxophones be made out of cruise missile casings or have we moved into a new era.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian paulwl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gary
    [...] since the subject has been broached, I'll go ahead and say that I am uncomfortable with the use of "Christian" in this context, which comes from a certain exclusivistic and judgemental interpretation of just who and what merits the term.
    I must agree, with reservations (see below).

Quote Originally Posted by gary then
    In this "Christian" community, midstream Episcopalians, Catholics, Lutherans, Orthodox, etc are not included because they do not fall within that evangelic tradition. And certainly not Mormons. [...] So, if you go into most "Christian" bookstores, you will not find Luther's Little Catechism and you'll be lucky to find Augustine's City of God. If you go to the "Christian" music section you will not find Stravinsky's Requium or Bach's St. Luke's Passion, Christian music if I've ever heard it.
    IMHO, FWTW, YMMV and all standard disclaimers invoked...
    I'm not sure evangelicals, charismatics, etc., are particularly concerned about including OR excluding mainstream Christians. They seem to be more off doing their own thing. To me they are about adapting popular culture forms, such as rock & roll, self-help books, etc., and Christianizing them to reach a greater number of people. Evangelism is all about putting bodies in the pews, and whatever one's beliefs about their doctrine (which is universally conservative, if not fundamentalist), they do that very well.

Now to make all this somehow saxophone-related...
    The profusion of saxophonists, rock & rollers, etc., makes perfect sense in that context of Christianizing the popular culture. The sax is an instrument with immense popular appeal - always has been, and I hope always will be. Its vocal and expressive qualities make it just as attractive to devotional music as to any other, and its quick initial learning curve assures it a place in congregant-based worship teams.

There was even, so I'm told, a long tradition of saxophone-playing evangelists in the American Bible belt - showbiz-savvy pulpit pounders who'd take a break between sermons and play a hymn or two. How else to explain the custom engraving on this beautiful gold-plated Conn Connqueror alto from the deep depression years? (available on saxpics.com courtesy of our good moderator, Pete)

No decadent Naked Lady flaunting a Sally Rand fan here...although the passionate wail and overheated vibrato might have sounded just the same. In an entirely different cause.

SOTW Columnist

OH NO! What happened to the naked lady?!

WOW! What an awesome-looking Connqueror!

With the "Jesus Saves" below, and the "Connqueror" name above, there are just meanings within meanings within meanings within...

Plus, that's just a gosh-darned great-looking horn! Oy - to get my hands on that one...

Back on topic - I don't know much about Trane's beliefs (I'm reading a biography, but haven't really gotten to that yet...), but certainly his "A Love Supreme" would have to rank as one of the best-known religious sax recordings in existence. I personally have mixed feelings about it, even though I'm a big Trane fan, but it is clearly dedicated "To God" in the liner notes. And it's certainly full of passion!

I'm still a little miffed that our church music director, who regularly uses trumpet, flute, clarinet, drums, electric guitar, bass guitar, piano, and synthesizer in his arrangements, has not yet found a use for a sax of any kind. Then again, we ARE Roman Catholic, so maybe in another three hundred years we'll have saxes in my parish... I just won't be a very good sax player in 300 years!

Forum Contributor 2007 sjonesjrmd's Avatar

Default Christian sax players

John carlson who used to be a willow creek in chicago is now in texas and does secular as well as "christian" music. A great artist and a first call kind of guy. He has a website as well as a pretty extensive discography.

Default still Kirk

Hey, just thought I'd add the other 2 Kirk Whalum albums I've heard. I love his sound and the feeling he plays with.

sacred CD's I've bought:
    Hymns In The Garden
    The Gospel According To Jazz, Part 1
    The Gospel According To Jazz, Part 2

and secular ones that are good, too
    Unconditional
    Joined At The Hip

Default Kirk Whalum

Many of you know I haunt this forum because it is a good group of sax guys and gals discussing very interesting topics. This thread is no exception.

I loved reading thru it and really can't add much to the colorful banter other than to stay on topic with my vote.

Kirk Whalum was just at my church for our Worship Music Conference as a guest Artist with his band in Concert.

He is a great musician, amazing sax player and wonderful human being.
    I could only hope to get close to all the deep and cool ground this guy covers.

His CDs are in more than one genre, but his heart is 100% all in one place. He loves his Jesus and is not afraid to say it and play it.

Kirk is the man...

SAXBOY (aka greg vail)

www.gregvail.com

That is truly good to hear. Amen!

Greg,

Are you guys doing another conference this year? Will Kirk be there again? I can't find it on the Saddleback sites. Too much stuff!!

Troy

Default hi troy

We will be doing another Worship Conference this year. I don't have the dates but it is probably in July. www.encouragingmusic.com will have the details when it starts to come together. As far as Kirk, I have no idea on Artists performing yet. You can check in with www.purposedriven.com too and see if they have anything up yet. Both should have info going up as it comes in.
    I am trying to get him out to So Cal the end of May for Memorial Day Weekend. I am working on a very cool event that will blend a "Taste Of..." food deal with Gospel/Christian Artists for all the entertainment. It is called “A Taste Of Heaven.”

I finally have the venue and date confirmations, so now for the real fun; getting the cool guys and getting them all paid.

Other than that, I can only hope Kirk joins us again this year for the Saddleback Conference.

Later Bro,

SAXBOY

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast