P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Christian Sax Players

Default Favorite Christian Sax Players

Anybody have any favorite Christian sax players? The only one I can think of is Justo Almario... some incredible parts on some of Tommy Walker's songs.

He's going to be at the Willow Creek conference in June, but I haven't decided if I'm going yet.

Kirk Whalum, Sam Levine, and Mark Douthit all come to mind.

Jimmy Greene. A great player!

http://www.jimmygreene.com/index.html

Sam Levine, I have played several of his songs in church and I have tried to pattern his style. " Sax for the Spirit " I think is his best.

I really like Sams "Jazz for the Heart" CD. Its more smooth jazz oriented than "Sax for the Spirit". Jazz for the heart is also solely hymns where Sax for the spirit has regular pop inspirational tunes

Dan Traxler is really great. Check out his web site. Dan Traxler Gospel Sax. Not sure of the site address. Regards,
    Jim

I haven't seen Jazz for the Heart yet. Thanks for the info!!!!

Dave,

He is the sax player on the "Brentwood Jazz" stuff also. It is gospel based -- check out some of his playing on those as well.

Default don't forget our SOTWers

Sessionsax and Saxboy are both recording stuff you should be able to find in stores. Check their profiles for names and then a little Google will do ya!

Yeah, I enjoy Saxboys stuff as well. Check him out, his name is Greg Vail.

Saxboys stuff will be easier to find. I have only been doing session work in Nashville for about a year and a half -- so I don't get all the master sessions yet -- tons of demo work though.

I do have some stuff thats on shelves in the Southern Gospel realm -- mainly from folks on the Bill Gaither tour. And I have done a couple of film soundtracks.

And I do have some solo appearances showing up on the CTN (Christian television network) on cable and I have a solo project that I am working on in the studio that should be out in about six months -- I think it will be a good one -- its has all top notch studio guys from here in town.

I play live with some of the Integrity music folks -- not as much as I used to though -- I have an 8 month old. I did do some recording with Alecia Williamson (formerly of Truth) that hopefully will make it to the shelves.

Hopefully, over time I will get some higher profile stuff and build a decent resume. It takes a while to make contacts in Nashville, and its all about contacts here.

Default Favorite Christian Sax Player

For now and always will be Lanny Cox, the sax player for Truth. Man when Lanny wailed in concert, you could tell the spirit was playing thru him.

I have had the honor of playing next to him at First Redeemer Church in Cumming Ga for over a year now. Many of his Truth Alumni play there, and he is absolutely the most humble spirit filled Sax Player to day. "Pastor" Lanny preaches when he plays. Thats about the only way to put it.

Distinguished SOTW Member Razzy's Avatar

I'm confused... are you talking Christian music, or sax players who happen to be Christians, or both? I would think that the former would almost denote the latter, but that the latter alone would mean pretty much nothing in terms of musicality

The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum Contributor 2014 gary's Avatar

Exactly, Razzy.

This area gets blurry... Is Kirk Whalum a Christian Music artist or a sax player that happens to be a Christian? Well, his albums do have themes about his faith, such as "Unconditional". So does this make it a Christian Music album? Not necessarily. At the same time, Kirk plays in a lot of secular situations.

I think a musician's faith does effect what music he/she chooses to play and the style in which they play. Their faith might also be what inspires their improvisation. Does their faith "mean nothing in terms of musicality"? I think a person's belief system would effect their musicality.

I better stop here. One thing I hate to see things get out of hand when the subjects of religion, politics or Kenny G are discussed in a forum like this :-)

Ha I guess I'm actually referring to both. While I explicitly seek out sax playing in Christian music, a la the band Big Daddy Weave (just discovered them... GREAT band), I'm also curious about sax players who might be Christians playing in any venue. Kirk Whalum is an excellent example of this.

The only place I currently have the opportunity to play in is church, and I absolutely love it. But I'd also like to play other venues as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaijin-san
    Ha I guess I'm actually referring to both. While I explicitly seek out sax playing in Christian music, a la the band Big Daddy Weave (just discovered them... GREAT band), I'm also curious about sax players who might be Christians playing in any venue. Kirk Whalum is an excellent example of this.

The only place I currently have the opportunity to play in is church, and I absolutely love it. But I'd also like to play other venues as well.
    yessss, big daddy weave! i love that song "neighborhoods" with that guitar and sax solos, awesome stuff.

i play in church, too, in a small youth group worship band. good stuff...

SOTW Columnist
    Distinguished SOTW Member

What about us heathens, pagans, agnostics, and Buddhists? What's our sax playing sound like? Sorry, guess I better not go there........

Actually it is probably true that all your life experience has a bearing on your music. At least that's the goal. Cheers.

Well I guess it is sort of a can of worms to be opening, but hopefully we can all keep our beliefs in check and think rationally I am not really of any faith, not necessarily by choice, but by nature. Calls to mind a quote I recently heard in a film: "We do not choose our beliefs; they choose us." So I guess you could say I'm of the atheistic faith. However I do enjoy reading up on mysticism and relgious practices and superstitions and such (merely as a psychological study of the need for humans to have a faith or system of beliefs), and perhaps in some way this HAS affected my playing.

To clarify, the point I was hinting at above is that Christianity wouldn't necessarily denote skill, just as being a devout Buddhist, practicioner of Yoga, serial killer, or any other "calling of choice" would. However we can definitely use our other (sometimes spiritual) callings to give us something to make our music about, and perhaps as a driving force to make the sound and the ideas coming through our horn a little bit more of what we're shooting for. For me, music is a spiritual calling in itself, a self-effacing purpose, and really the only thing I could say I "believe" in. My inspiration comes from it and it alone Another note is that the musical style spurred by certain religions may very well lead one to his or her goals, simply by influence. But if someone happens to believe God or Allah or Bozo the Clown himself bestowed them with their musical gifts, all the more power to you 8) I prefer to think that I have worked at it and overcoming the adversity I have grown up with has served as a source of motivation to pull myself out of but at the same time I do not want to forget these times, when I had to create my morals and my dignity entirely alone.

Now that I'm getting off on somewhat of a rant, I'll try my best to finish up! Overall I prefer to believe that the human spirit itself is the strongest thing we have going for us, and not a God above looking down and giving us this consciousness as well as his guidance. That is MY take, other beliefs may, and I definitely respect them...

...other beliefts may VARY, sorry 'bout that

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast