Sax on the Web Forum banner

What the LefreQue?

152K views 597 replies 79 participants last post by  Angel Sampedro del Río 
#1 ·
Sorry about the pun...I couldn't resist!

However, I am obsessed with any accessory that might improve my tone, technique, or artistry with the saxophone. I saw this website and was simultaneously intrigued and amused:

http://www.lefreque.com/home

Has anyone here tried this item? Can you please provide an informed review?

Thanks!

#228 ·
:)......

perspicacious
adjective
his perspicacious advisers recommended caution: discerning, shrewd, perceptive, astute, penetrating, observant, percipient, sharp-witted, sharp, smart, alert, clear-sighted, farsighted, acute, clever, canny, intelligent, insightful, wise, sage, sensitive, intuitive, understanding, aware, discriminating; informal on the ball, heads-up, with it.

ANTONYMS stupid.

#229 ·
I realise that some of the things that they claim on their website are a bit silly... More emotion, etc..

But give them a try.. Honestly, slurring between certain intervals becomes incredibly smoother.

I value a lot of the discussion on the forum here, but sometimes there is more hating than necessary.

#234 ·
Of course he thinks that IT does something to his playing otherwise he would be using it!

Magic seems to work for some people and plenty of actors and musicians are superstitious and do all sorts of rituals the meaning of which can only be found in the placebo effect that they cause.

Music is not science (while sound production is) but this is not sold as a talisman .

the people who sell the leFreque claim pseudo scientific reasons why this piece of metal should improve your playing and return much greater emotion.

“.......One uninterrupted sound body would be ideal for every wind instrument. But in practice that is impossible. With every sliding connection, every screwing point and every soldered tube you inevitably lose part of the produced sound. lefreQue will give back the sound to the instrument.....”

“.......The lefreQue will repair the sound breaches that occur in every wind instrument.
The greatest gain is to be had at the connection between the mouth piece and the rest of the instrument. But every further employment of a lefreQue at the other connections will also enhance the sound markedly.
You will notice the difference immediately: the sound will be more complete, the instrument will respond much quicker and the greater speed of the tone changes will be spectacular........."

#235 ·
I read all that, and I personally don't buy it. But if it makes other players feel good (or better) about their sound, that's great, and I see no reason why they shouldn't use it.
So, aside from all the advertising mumbojumbo, it may be a good product for some. There's nothing wrong with the placebo thing as long as it makes you feel/play better. This forum places a lot of weight on the scientific side of saxophone playing (which is nice) but sometimes tends to neglect the fact that (as I said) you don't make music with science.

#243 ·
the “ claims “ are ever so slightly varied though

“............Old West Snake Oil is a unique blend of NATURAL OILS and WAXES specially formulated to preserve antiques. Old West Snake Oil does not contain any lemon oil, shellac, acrylics, water, detergents, silicon or other damaging chemicals found in many similar products available today. Old West Snake Oil was developed to preserve and protect rare and valuable antique firearms......."

#245 ·
whatever floats your boat.........why not? If it doesn’t cost money superstition is just an innocent indulgence.

As said previously, strangling a saxophone with the P-Ligging didn’t pass the sound test but at least it didn’t cost anything (by the way, I think our friend Tobias is back with a different monicker)

The problem is when people make claims, you BUY this and then your horn will do this.

Then the need for proof comes into the equation. In several countries, for example, it is illegal to make claims that you cannot support with science if they are made under the form of scientific based claim. If you state that a product does something, it has to do what is says it does in the ads.

So, long live the P.Ligging it doesn’t cost you anything and even if it doesn’t work, makes no hole in the pocket.

When it comes to expensive gizmos the thing is slightly different. There is some sort of obligation to provide proof that your claims have any base. Usually the one who shouts “ wolf” has to show where the wolf is.......... assuming that there is one to start with.

#248 ·
For what it's worth , I tried it since the guys at Matthew's were so friendly to let me do so. I did notice a difference in tone colour and I did not like it , it seemed to favour the higher frequencies of my sound a bit. And that was just not what I am looking for. I really don't know someone would be able to hear it on a recording since most microphones do exactly the same , colouring the sound a bit on that side of the spectrum. I did not notice any more ease of playing or in connecting the notes or registers but that could very well be because I did not try it long enough ( since I did not like what it did for my overall sound).

#249 ·
thanks Trinus, but that is assuming that IT did anything to your sound instead of you unconsciously doing something to your sound.

You should have tested the LeFreque not knowing whether the gizmo was on or off as Pete Thomas did.

http://tamingthesaxophone.com/saxophone-lefreque.html

If you are aware of the presence of any gizmo you can easily fool yourself (in perfect good faith) even if you are a very experienced and proficient player such as the one you are.

Of course you might say that the microphone might not give the same results as the live thing or that the player might get some different impression or feedback from his own sound through the jaw's picking the " vibration" of the mouthpiece.

Both these things can be tested with a double blind experiment involving several players where the players don't know what they are playing ( gizmo or no gizmo) and the audience doesn't know , because they cannot see, whether the gizmo in on or not.

The results should be easily analysable. I am sure that the TU Delft is interested (they do experiments on mouthpieces these days). It would be conclusive and a valid promotional manner to sell this item..........unless one is scared that science would show that there is nothing to it.

#258 · (Edited)
I am about to launch a brand new new TamingTheSaxophone ™ product, I think this will be in serious competition with lefreque:
I use the Zelmer brand: it is much better and mr Pete Phomas uses it on regular basis.

Aldewitz

#255 ·
One of my fave pix from an Egypt trip

Attachments

#263 ·
He was certainly feeling lots of emotion if all that bobbing up and down is any indication. Then again maybe he had forgotten to go to the toilet before starting to play and that was a result of trying to contain himself with out lefreaking out all over the church.

#264 ·
I just received a lefreQue brass 33 mm. I could hear the difference when I heard on different horns on youtube and generally I liked it, so I decided to have a go with it.

First impression on my soprano I like it! It feels better and more simple, More tone, better flow, better intonation, I don't like mounting it though, I think it's a keeper

I'm surprised that some can't hear a difference, I could hear it right away on the small mobile phone speakers, I new right that I had to check it out, though I'm not surprised that some don't like it, I did hear a clarinet sound with lefreque that I didn't like