P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Compare Your SOTW Ranking Here!

Distinguished SOTW Member CooolJazzz's Avatar

Default Re: Compare Your SOTW Ranking Here!

Quote Originally Posted by Atonal View Post
    Actually, you can view the posting frequency on anyone's profile by clicking on the "about me" tab!
    Well, shoot...you're absolutely right...and I knew that at one time, but when I clicked on MartinMusicMan's profile a few minutes ago I didn't realize that I wasn't on the "about me" page. When you click on some profiles you automatically end up on the "about me" page. I assumed that's where I was without paying close enough attention, and wondered why I couldn't see his post frequency. Silly mistake on my part.

Distinguished SOTW Member rleitch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CooolJazzz View Post
    I totally took it as sarcasm...as if saying..."I've spent so much time typing away on my computer that I've forgotten what a saxophone looks like".
    Exactly...BTW: if you start to get my sense of humour, you're spending way too much time on here!
    Martin "Dick Stabile" Tenor: Barone Jazz 7*/GW7

"The spiritual life is built upon a commitment to truth telling and truth living. As master jazz musicians, [John Coltrane and Miles Davis] presented their spirituality within the reality of cool." --Farah Jasmine Griffen and Salim Washington

Quote Originally Posted by rleitch View Post
    BTW: if you start to get my sense of humour, you're spending way too much time on here!
    I don't get it. What do you mean?

I don't get it. What do you mean?
    hahaha
    Alto: YAS-23, Jody Jazz HR* 6M, Legere Signature 3 or RJS 3S

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2011

Frequency of posts per day, in rank order of total number of posts
    gary 7.29
    hakukani 12.05
    grumps 5.36
    Pete Thomas 5.34
    bandmommy 8.77
    milandro 7.55
    bruce bailey 4.53
    Dr. G 4.05
    Carl H. 3.65
    Gordon (NZ) 3.51
    martysax 4.22
    JL 3.36
    jazzbluescat 3.23
    kcp 3.02
    SAXISMYAXE 3.04
    jrvinson45 3.01
    Shaneygrog 7.90
    belliott 2.58
    Dave Dolson 2.45
    Jazz Is All 5.04

and me (it is, after all, all about me)
    MartinMusicMan 4.37
    The Martin "Official Music Man" tenor, Barone black tenor, The Martin baritone, Richards Martin Indiana alto, cheap Chinese soprano, Metalite mouthpieces, Plasticover reeds, Nord Electro 2, bunch of other instruments
    Wall Of Blues, youtube video, P-Town All-Stars, get Rich, Cannons (my band in the 60's) and Cannons record

It doesn't take long after first coming to SOTW to figure out who the most prolific posters are. It's right there for everyone to see, and we SEE the prolific posters on a regular basis.
    Yes, we see the post counts printed all the time, but it's hard to compare them or see where you lie in the ranking of total number of posts. I thought it would be interesting to compare them graphically.

What takes a little more time is figuring out who the most consistently helpful posters are. Help is in the eye of the beholder though. ... When it comes to ranking...I think it's important to consider both intention and content over sheer volume.
    I agree. This display is clearly only for ranking people according to number of posts.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMusicMan View Post
    I was going to say the same thing as Pete that this is not frequency but total number of posts.
    Yes, and I'm glad that people read my wording carefully enough to spot the word "frequency." I should have worded the opening statement differently, perhaps. At least the display is clear. Note, however, that "Number of Posts" is equivalent to "Posts Per 4280 Days" (the earliest Join Date was 4280 days ago), which is an estimate of frequency. So you can actually consider "Number of Posts" a frequency estimate (albeit not a very stable one, as it only counts occurrences across one (long) unit of time.

Frequency of posts per day, in rank order of total number of posts
    gary 7.29
    hakukani 12.05
    grumps 5.36
    Pete Thomas 5.34
    bandmommy 8.77
    milandro 7.55
    bruce bailey 4.53
    Dr. G 4.05
    Carl H. 3.65
    Gordon (NZ) 3.51
    martysax 4.22
    JL 3.36
    jazzbluescat 3.23
    kcp 3.02
    SAXISMYAXE 3.04
    jrvinson45 3.01
    Shaneygrog 7.90
    belliott 2.58
    Dave Dolson 2.45
    Jazz Is All 5.04

and me (it is, after all, all about me)
    MartinMusicMan 4.37
    It would be interesting to examine "frequency of posts per day," of all members in ranked order. There are probably many members who have higher post frequencies than the 20 members with the most posts (just as Pete alluded to earlier). Maybe I'll get around to plotting the ranked posting frequencies of all SOTW members some day, but not right now. In the mean time, I invite others to give it a try.

Forum Contributor 2011

So rank order of posts per day (keep in mind that there may be others with higher frequencies of posts per day; these are the high total posters from the OP)

hakukani 12.05
    bandmommy 8.77
    Shaneygrog 7.90
    milandro 7.55
    gary 7.29
    Pete Thomas 5.34
    grumps 5.36
    Jazz Is All 5.04
    bruce bailey 4.53
    [MartinMusicMan 4.37]
    martysax 4.22
    Dr. G 4.05
    Carl H. 3.65
    Gordon (NZ) 3.51
    JL 3.36
    jazzbluescat 3.23
    SAXISMYAXE 3.04
    kcp 3.02
    jrvinson45 3.01
    belliott 2.58
    Dave Dolson 2.45

From this I conclude that I should spend more time playing the sax than posting about it.
    The Martin "Official Music Man" tenor, Barone black tenor, The Martin baritone, Richards Martin Indiana alto, cheap Chinese soprano, Metalite mouthpieces, Plasticover reeds, Nord Electro 2, bunch of other instruments
    Wall Of Blues, youtube video, P-Town All-Stars, get Rich, Cannons (my band in the 60's) and Cannons record

Forum Contributor 2011

Thanks to saxmusicguy for starting this interesting thread with the graph.

Thanks to saxmusicguy for starting this interesting thread with the graph.
    Sure, I'm glad it has generated some interest.

So rank order of posts per day (keep in mind that there may be others with higher frequencies of posts per day; these are the high total posters from the OP)

hakukani 12.05
    bandmommy 8.77
    Shaneygrog 7.90
    milandro 7.55
    gary 7.29
    Pete Thomas 5.34
    grumps 5.36
    Jazz Is All 5.04
    bruce bailey 4.53
    [MartinMusicMan 4.37]
    martysax 4.22
    Dr. G 4.05
    Carl H. 3.65
    Gordon (NZ) 3.51
    JL 3.36
    jazzbluescat 3.23
    SAXISMYAXE 3.04
    kcp 3.02
    jrvinson45 3.01
    belliott 2.58
    Dave Dolson 2.45

From this I conclude that I should spend more time playing the sax than posting about it.
    I wonder which post was .05...
    Sound guy theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- 3dB)
    Sax player theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- .010" at the tip)
    "Free jazz is the vegemite of the musical world. It's an acquired taste."-J. Jacques

Just so we're on the same page, saxmusicguy...I was in no way trying to quibble over semantics or trying to read the purpose of your post as anything other than it was. I did get it for the way it was intended. I was merely adding other ways of looking at "rankings" in general. It's been an interesting thread, as started by you.

Just so we're on the same page, saxmusicguy...I was in no way trying to quibble over semantics or trying to read the purpose of your post as anything other than it was. I did get it for the way it was intended. I was merely adding other ways of looking at "rankings" in general. It's been an interesting thread, as started by you.
    No worries. And I would certainly classify you, CooolJazzz, among the helpful members here. There are indeed many ways to look at "rankings." In any case, SOTW is a community (of sorts) rather than a competition. The intent of this thread was just to examine some interesting data.

Quote Originally Posted by saxmusicguy View Post
    I would certainly classify you, CooolJazzz, among the helpful members here.
    I thank you for that, but the truth is, 2 in 10 of my posts may be helpful to someone. Add 5 or 6 in which I'm usually just trying to inject humor...and that leaves 2 or 3 more in which I can get cantankerous or just downright ornery. I'm working on the latter part, but the older I get and the more physical pain I'm in, the more ornery I seem to become. That's good though, because it gives the younger folk someone to point at and say..."Don't be like him". And behind the truth in that...hopefully there's some humor as well.

I thank you for that, but the truth is, 2 in 10 of my posts may be helpful to someone.
    I found this post of yours to be helpful to me. This thread too.

I found this post of yours to be helpful to me. This thread too.
    That makes "2". I rest my case...

But seriously, thanks again. I have my moments occasionally. Not nearly so often as Pete Thomas and others though.

Forum Contributor 2012

It's a very impressive graph. But is there any way to differentiate between Member Lounge posts and Non-Lounge posts? It would be nice to give the Champion Lounge Lizards some sort of special recognition.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck Laughlin View Post
    It's a very impressive graph. But is there any way to differentiate between Member Lounge posts and Non-Lounge posts? It would be nice to give the Champion Lounge Lizards some sort of special recognition.
    As far as I know, this information isn't publicly available, but perhaps the forum founder or administrators can access it.

Here are the data according to Posts Per Day (I also appended this to the original post):

Here are the data according to Posts Per Day (I also appended this to the original post):
    That data must have taken a while to gather. All it will take is a "newbie" making 400 posts in their first month to knock hakukani from his throne...

The newer you are to SOTW, the easier it would be to rise to the top of this list if you had a mind to...(or had nothing better to do).

That data must have taken a while to gather.
    Indeed, SOTW can be a real time sink.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast