P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Taishan Saxophones

Default Taishan Saxophones

Has anyone played or heard anything about Taishan alto saxophones? I saw some ebay but I haven't found too much information about them.

Here is a link in case you want to check them out: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Professional...item3a6abb28f8

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar

Default Re: Taishan Saxophones

Chinese saxophones , http://taishan.en.ecplaza.net/ made ny Taishan , you are unlikely to find any information on line .

Where I don't have to boil the water before I drink it..

Taishan had a better webpage the last time that I checked. It's really a manufacturer, not just a trading company as so many saxophone "manufacturers" listed in ecplaza and madeinchina.com. I know that a member of SOTW had some dealings with this company awhile back. Maybe he'll chime in.
    The absolute real reason I continue is the free shrimp at the cocktail hour. It's the little things.--- Rich Maraday

Apparently I was told the ebay seller taishan20085188 is not the same as the TaiShan Guanyue company, but from another reputable company, whatever that means haha.

I bought a Taishan straight sop from the ebay seller listed above, it took a few weeks to arrive as I think he/she gets them made from the factory.

It arrived well packaged.
    First impressions.... I'd ordered a black nickel finish and I couldn't complain the finish was very well done.

Playing....

This is were I had a problem.. I really struggled to get the low notes, it kept breaking into the upper register. I'd had an Earlham sop years ago and didn't remember having such a problem.

I've tried a few mouth piece and reed combo's some of which helped a little.

I own a few saxes and having been an engineer most of my life really like taking things apart, I've recently bought some sax tools etc and started tinkering.

So I decided to rip the Taishan down to see if I could find anything....well i have.

Here goes...

This is the Taishan after some work. What I found is that virtually all the palm key and the other 2 upper tone holes had surfaces as flat as volcanoes. I bought a diamond tone hole file set, to go over all the holes. The factory had filed one hole 1/3 the way down but it still needed tweaking, only one tone hole was flat from the factory the rest were not.
    The palm key holes were roughly 0.7/1.0mm uneven, no attempt had been made to level them.

I've now got them all absolutely level.

The next thing I found was what they used to stick the pads in with..... I had tried to re-seat the pads but they wouldn't stay put, I found out why when I took one out. You won't need heat to remove them as they seem to be put in with a clear sticky glue that never goes hard, it's a cheapo glue and way to stick the pads in.

I've bought some new black roo pads and shellac to do a proper job.

The next thing wrong....... The smaller keys on the upper stack had quiet a bit of slack in them as did the octave key mech. I've got the tools to take the slack out and have been able to fix this, the lower stack were fine.

So would I buy a Taishan again? Yes - I can fix the probs myself.....and it will be a good sax when I'm done, plus I like taking things apart - all good experience.

Would I buy if I had to pay to get it working? >>>> No - just not worth all the cost...

It's a shame really as with just a little more time spent in the factory these could be really good little sax's, I suppose it's a typical Chinese engineering thing.

I've heard people say they've bought a Taishan Bari and they were marvellous - I wonder if they had really had a good look?

It hasn't put me buying a Taishan Bari though.. I hope this has been helpful....

Distinguished SOTW Member

Carbon: Thanks for this post. I am not a repair tech but I can appreciate what you reported. I recall another thread implying these were good-quality Chinese saxophones. Hmmm . . .
    just corroborates my overall impression of the Chinese saxophone-thing. There are many threads opened with the basic premise that the OP wants to get a soprano but is unwilling to pay much. You gets what you pay for, to use poor grammar.

A friend of mine owned a music store a while back and bought a bunch of cheap (I use that term rather than "inexpensive" because CHEAP seems SO much more accurate) altos. Then, he tore them down and re-padded, re-corked, etc. I played one and it was a fine player. I recall the brand was MONIQUE but not sure. Anyway, that experience and your post tells me that if the Chinese put some effort into it, they could make decent saxophones. But for those looking to save a few bucks, I'm betting the end up with a huge disappointment and the loss of whatever they paid the first time around. And I know some of you have your favorite CHEAP CHinese models . . . DAVE
    Dave

Distinguished SOTW Member CONN-hunter's Avatar

Hi there. I got my Taishan curved soprano yesterday bought on eBay from the eBay seller...

Member id musical_shop168

Very well packaged it arrived 3 weeks after the purchase. The seller had to wait 8 days because Taishan was in delay finishing his order due to the Christmas time.

I didn't play the little thing yet. Busy making shopping with the family.
    But yesterday I took the sax out , remove the rubber pieces between the mechanics and pads and started cheking the little curved.

Well, I can tell at the very first look that it is NOT in the same level of finish of the Taiwanese made instruments.
    The toneholes don't seem to be exact made as the Taiwanese ones, the entirely mechanic look less sturdy the compared to the Taiwanese curveds (I own a maxtone curved also, which has everything better, at least visually)

Well, as David said "you get what you pay for" and for 435 U$ maybe we are going to the upper limit for this sax. I think the cost of so one would be around 200U$, maybe less.
    The pads are OK but again not in the same quality as they from the Taiwanese Instruments.

The case looks nice. Looks! the quality is also poor. It gives pretty good protection to the horn but it is not gonna a last for ages.

Yeah, now. Tomorrow I wish to give my first blow on it with my Runyon Custom.
    I looks like the pads are sealing the holes so far. It is looking good.
    Wondering if the sound is good.

Taishan is supposed to be the best Chinese branch. Venus is made by another factory and has the bell keys on the right side with a more alto like pinky table.
    The plastic MPC looks good for me. The facing is the more acurate made I've ever seen on a Chinese mouthpiece.
    All visual impressions from a guy who played more than 1 hundred mpc's and some dozens saxophones.
    435 U$ is for me too much to invest on this quality, better invest 1,000 U$ and buy smth more consistent with perfect pads and astonishing well drawn toneholes but maybe the sound will blow me away.

will report

TK Melody Endorser/
    Forum Contributor 2013

Quote Originally Posted by CONN-hunter View Post
    Hi there. I got my Taishan curved soprano yesterday bought on eBay from the eBay seller...

Member id musical_shop168

Very well packaged it arrived 3 weeks after the purchase. The seller had to wait 8 days because Taishan was in delay finishing his order due to the Christmas time.

I didn't play the little thing yet. Busy making shopping with the family.
    But yesterday I took the sax out , remove the rubber pieces between the mechanics and pads and started cheking the little curved.

Well, I can tell at the very first look that it is NOT in the same level of finish of the Taiwanese made instruments.
    The toneholes don't seem to be exact made as the Taiwanese ones, the entirely mechanic look less sturdy the compared to the Taiwanese curveds (I own a maxtone curved also, which has everything better, at least visually)

Well, as David said "you get what you pay for" and for 435 U$ maybe we are going to the upper limit for this sax. I think the cost of so one would be around 200U$, maybe less.
    The pads are OK but again not in the same quality as they from the Taiwanese Instruments.

The case looks nice. Looks! the quality is also poor. It gives pretty good protection to the horn but it is not gonna a last for ages.

Yeah, now. Tomorrow I wish to give my first blow on it with my Runyon Custom.
    I looks like the pads are sealing the holes so far. It is looking good.
    Wondering if the sound is good.

Taishan is supposed to be the best Chinese branch. Venus is made by another factory and has the bell keys on the right side with a more alto like pinky table.
    The plastic MPC looks good for me. The facing is the more acurate made I've ever seen on a Chinese mouthpiece.
    All visual impressions from a guy who played more than 1 hundred mpc's and some dozens saxophones.
    435 U$ is for me too much to invest on this quality, better invest 1,000 U$ and buy smth more consistent with perfect pads and astonishing well drawn toneholes but maybe the sound will blow me away.

will report
    I am sorry to hear you did not end up being happy with your horn at first impression.

There seems to be a rather large inconsistency in the "finishing" of the sopranos because although my is not marked Taishan it seems to be the same manufacturer
    but when I hear the last 2 or 3 post concerning build I am now perplexed because my JB copper has very level tone holes, and the pads albeit not the VERY best they are leather and sealing very well, no loose rods, all blue tempered springs, copper bell etc...and the sound is very very good.

The only comment on build is that the bow is epoxied on rather clamped but as long as it is sealing this is insignificant to me.

Would it benefit from tweaking with more reputable pads and resos and some adjustments to the action, probably; but I have played it for a little over a week so far and perhaps I just got lucky.

I also benefitted for receiving the horn with a CE WINDS Metal case so I got an upgrade.

B
    “We are what we repeatedly do.
    Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.”
    ~Aristotle

Distinguished SOTW Member CONN-hunter's Avatar

Hi!

oh, I am not that disappointed at all. We get what we pay for and I've being honest to the horn telling what I see.
    Once you own a German made Keilwerth or the best Taiwanese sax available you learn what quality means. That is.
    Being just to the Taishan it is looking ways better than earlier made Chinese saxophones. The pads quality increased a lot.
    The horn is OK, just not in the same level as Taiwanese saxophones, for sure not and I'd not buy a Yanagisawa or even an expensive Taiwanese now, therefore this one will fix the gap .

cheers

Will post some pics on the thread "Taishan curved soprano"