P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Borgani serial number starting with "OB"???

Default Re: Borgani serial number starting with "OB"???

Sorry, I should've said "I'll be able to try but not buy!" ...

So (from an Italian Forum) the new Borgani serials start with: OBS for sops, OBA for altos and OBT for tenors... this still doesn't explain the OB1222 number... another transitional...

I have mailed them again asking for more info,see what they say.
    Wedding Solo Saxophone Player For Hire www.smoothsaxsounds.com
    www.youtube.com/saxdaveboy www.soundcloud.com/daveysax1 Tenor Yamaha YTS82Z UL WOF# Yamaha VI Silver plated neck Sakshama B Marsalis G mp, Soprano Elkhart Deluxe, Alto Elkhart Deluxe , www.facebook.com/thedandbjazzproject?www.dbjazz.co.uk

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2008

Just a note of warning about new Borganis. On the best-known Italian sax forum (saxforum.it) there are several posts mentioning that they now procure parts in china (or taiwan, whatever it is) and assemble them in the italian factory.
    One of the posters mentions as evidence the fact that they no longer allow the visitor to access the factory (which is exactly where their shop is), something they did with pride in the past.

The thread is HERE very long and... in Italian.

I leave up to you whether you believe these words or not: in my case, I would be very careful to buy a new Borgani without trying or without the ability to return it if not satisfied.
    If I had to buy a Borgani, it would not be a brand new one at ''premium'' price, justifiable by a hand making, not hand-assembling process.

Hmmm, I don't know which parts I would consider acceptable to be sourced from other than Macerata - certainly not the neck, body, bow, and bell. There's something about the individual pieces of the mechanism that have that character that I associate with fine Italian pistols and shotguns as well. If they went with a similar mechanism from Taiwan or similar, I should think it would be readily apparent. If not, then they retain their character and it's all good.

More news would be welcome in this.
    Go for The Tone,

g

"When you are doing well, don't forget to do good." - Sichan Siv.

Did you know that you can type a URL into http://translate.google.com/ and it translates all the content on the fly? Fun stuff. Of course, the thread at the Italian sax forum runs 20 pages!

Seems that SotW is not the only sax forum that gets a lil' longwinded...
    Go for The Tone,

g

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2008

Yes, I use that feature sometimes but the results are what they are...
    Better than nothing though.

I wasn't going to mention that thread, as did not give any real conclusions, only some "educated" guesses and rumours.

I have read the entire thread and it does wander off topic quite a lot (hence its length!): the main issue here seems to be that B. is not being open about where exactly the bodies are made. They say that the bells are hand hammered, but nobody knows where is the facility to carry out this process, B. does not allow anyone to visit their factory and see the instruments being made/assembled (as opposed to say R&C who are very happy for anyone to visit their factory). O.B. says in an interview that these allegations are nonsense, however does not provide proof to disprove this... and that's it. You can draw your own conclusions and I won't say any more about it!
    Cheers,
    M.

This guy went to the factory,read on.

I learn that the company produces around 350 saxophones per year. As more enquiries about a Borgani baritone are being received, Orfeo is seriously considering adding a baritone to the catalogue. It’s a big step. It involves research and design and - more critically - investment in a new batch of tools and machines with which to make the larger horn. Everything is made here in the factory except for key posts and pads. These are made locally by a contractor and bought in. The standard of these subcontracted items is closely monitored. For the pads, special felt is specified. Plastic, gold, copper and silver reflectors can be chosen.

Now I’m taken on a conducted tour of the factory. I see the conical tubes of crooks and bodies being beaten into shape on a mandrel, then extruded through a lead collar and hand finished. Necks begin as a straight, conical, tube. They are loaded by flowing in warm pitch (distillation of tar). At room temperature the pitch becomes rigid, brittle. The neck is then bent by hand in one movement. A special-purpose pipe bending tool of the sort used by pipe-fitters is used. The pitch inside prevents the tube collapsing and can easily be broken up and removed from the curved neck. Tone holes are extruded hydraulically. Then follows more polishing and finishing of the bare bodies and bells.

We pause to stroke Jimmy, the factory cat. He’s working on his tan in the warm midday sun and is not too keen to be interrupted. So we leave him and move on quickly to view the assembly. Jigs and braces hold pillars and straps in place for brazing and silver soldering, all done by hand. It’s instructive to see the brass stencil which guides the engraving tool used to add the bell decoration. This is one aspect of saxophone construction that seems to vary from company to company.

The visit to the Borgani factory was nothing less than a revelation, and a very enjoyable experience. Much more remains untold, about the beauty of the Marche region (the area where Macerta is located), about the historic beauty of the walled town of Macerta itself, and about the warmth and kindness of Orfeo, Cristiana and Marco. Even Jimmy eventually consented to spare a moment to have his ears scratched.

But above all the visit taught me something about my own saxophone requirements, the sort of experience I wish I could have enjoyed at the beginning of my playing career.

This is an edited version of an article that first appeared in the Dec/Jan issue of Crescendo Magazine and CASS Magazine
    © John Robert Brown
    www.youtube.com/saxdaveboy www.soundcloud.com/daveysax1 Tenor Yamaha YTS82Z UL WOF# Yamaha VI Silver plated neck Sakshama B Marsalis G mp, Soprano Elkhart Deluxe, Alto Elkhart Deluxe , www.facebook.com/thedandbjazzproject?www.dbjazz.co.uk

YES I HAVE SOLVED THE OB MYSTERY,WHAT A GUY I AM ,Heres there new reply.

Dear Mr. David,

Thank you very much for your reply.

OB stands for Orfeo Borgani. The new Tenor and Soprano are always Jubilee model. We preferred to put OB on their serial number because they are the latest version of this model. The differences are mainly focused on key action. Every day our technicians try to improve the quality of our instruments and so this little improvements day by day make our instruments richer. We changed our model on Alto Sax, the new model is "135" and it has replaced the "Jubilee".

I am very glad that you like your Borgani Black silver Tenor and you will be satisfied also with a Pearl Silver or a "J.Lovano", now you could contact Howarth and try our Saxophones there.

Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any question, kind regards, Massimo.

BORGANI Prof. ORFEO S.n.c.
    Via Ancona, 8
    62100 MACERATA (MC)
    Tel. +39 (0) 733 23 75 85
    Fax. +39 (0) 733 23 73 80

Quote Originally Posted by Borganiboy View Post
    What double arm on B ??? If you mean the Low C its still there.Also on all the spec on the borgani site they state the double arm low C still.
    Hi

My Made in Italy Jubilee has a double arm on Low B.

Forum Contributor 2011
    SOTW Better late than never bloomer poster child

Quote Originally Posted by ManEast View Post
    Hi

As does my silver plate tenor sn# 195xxJ

Hi

Any chance of pics,borgani say there always trying to improve so mabe thats it

Quote Originally Posted by rispoli View Post
    Just a note of warning about new Borganis. On the best-known Italian sax forum (saxforum.it) there are several posts mentioning that they now procure parts in china (or taiwan, whatever it is) and assemble them in the italian factory.
    if this is a necessary cost reduction / value engineering change , then Borgani ought to come cleam and admit the changes.
    It would be a shame , as my Tech likes the quality of the parts , and care in assembly. Even the keys are hand number stamped with the serial number of the horn- nice touch, makes no audible difference, but indicates the care and pride in manufacture.

Famous London Gunmakers are being forced into similar approaches, they continue to make bespoke, handmade Best guns for around £100K, but now also produce a "European " version ( funnily enough, often made in Italy!)- " finished in London", for around £15K, but they clearly market the two product lines separately , and there is little comparison between the models.

Of course, it may simply be a Taiwanese ploy to undermine the Borgani reputation ........ either way, Borgani need to "clear the air " publicly, as soon as possible .

No hiding place on the Internet .......................

Blowhard2
    How much Truth can this World stand? - Mose Allison:
    Borgani Pearl Silver Jubilee Tenor Ser No 195xxJ, or MK7 with Mauriat "MkVI" neck . Lamberson / M7/L7/J8 Marc Jean Ligs - RPC Blue 105R, - Fiberreed M

Hi

Please check again - I see a double arm only on the low C.

http://www.borgani.eu/en/zoom/instru...norsax-vintage
    Go for The Tone,

g

Forum Contributor 2011
    SOTW Better late than never bloomer poster child

Quote Originally Posted by Dr G View Post
    Please check again - I see a double arm only on the low C.

http://www.borgani.eu/en/zoom/instru...norsax-vintage
    I double checked and mine. Both low C & low B are double arm.

Quote Originally Posted by Borganiboy View Post
    Any chance of pics,borgani say there always trying to improve so mabe thats it
    Hi
    Yes will try to put up a pic for ya...But my one is one of the first J horns made #101

I "happened" to have mine (18755J) with me today and, yep, I have the double arm on both low C and B - looks like it's been discontinued on the new horns.

The OB tenor at PM Woodwinds has some good views of the new key work.

http://www.pmwoodwind.com/instrument...716&morepics=1
    Go for The Tone,

g

They also changed the neck socket a while back,my old pearl silver had the fatter more hand made looking socket,my new 1 and the 1's i tested and the 1's on the borgani site have the newer version.Also it looks like the low C and Eflat key are more rounder in design shape.

Also i mentioned when i got my new borg that i thought it had improved in build and in setup compared to my 1st borg jubilee,makes sense now.

Need more tenors...

What about the Super Power necks???
    Go for The Tone,

g

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast