P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Holton tenor

Default Holton tenor

Hello
    I am from Denmark, so sorry if my language is a bit unclear :-)
    I have an old Holton tenor saxophone, it's made in Japan and similar in its structure much of a Vito and an early model of Yamaha. Is it a stencil produced by Yamaha for the American market? The saxophone is in very good condition, slightly tarnished, but has a big and beautiful sound. Is there anyone who can help me with the age and value of the saxophone ?
    Thanks
    Osper
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Holton tenor

Quote Originally Posted by Osper View Post
    Hello
    I am from Denmark, so sorry if my language is a bit unclear :-)
    I have an old Holton tenor saxophone, it's made in Japan and similar in its structure much of a Vito and an early model of Yamaha. Is it a stencil produced by Yamaha for the American market? The saxophone is in very good condition, slightly tarnished, but has a big and beautiful sound. Is there anyone who can help me with the age and value of the saxophone ?
    Thanks
    Osper
    While I don't know much about saxophone values [being a trumpet-cornet player], I do know enough about Holton to know that they imported Yamaha instruments starting in the early 1970s, continuing until the early 1990s. Holton sometimes imported near-complete instruments [these tend to have "Japan" stamped on them] and sometimes parts [specifically cornets-trumpets with Yamaha-like features but no mention of Japan]. As for value, it might be comparable to a student Yamaha tenor of the era [my best guess]...

Distinguished SOTW Member

Yes, this looks exactly like a YTS-21 tenor, the key giveaway being the one-piece bell key guard covering low C, C#, B, and Bb bell keys. The wide football-shaped side F# key is also a good clue, and the low D key has a pad which barely covers the tone hole. This is a Yamaha YTS-21 stencil, early 1970's era.
    Sax Magic

Forum Contributor 2012

....2011, 2012, 2013. Granted I should have waited until New Year's Day to post this, but....

Go for the Old-Skool, homies. www.2ndending.com

Ah, well, the nature of the Holton sub-forum, I guess...

<grin>