Antigua Winds
AW Reeds

Default Vito made in Taiwan question

I recently picked up a Vito alto sax and I had a couple of questions about it. From what I have read the 7133 model horns were made in Taiwan by KHS (Jupiter) and is essentially their 667 series horns or something similar to it. Also from what I have seen those horns were the gold colored laquer with nickel colored keywork, with no bell engraving. The horn I have is all gold colored laquer, including the keywork, has a nice amount of bell engraving and a high F# key. I also noticed that it has ribbed construction, rather than post construction. It does clearly state Made in Taiwan but no where can I find model number, just the serial number which is A2111XXXX This does not match up with any of the pictures or descriptors of the 7133 altos made in Taiwan that I have seen (of course I may have missed it) so I am guessing it may not be the 7133 but perhaps another model. I was really surprised how well the horn plays, with a big full warm sound, and very easy to blow. Can anyone help me determine which model it is? Also if it is made by Jupiter, is it modeled after one of the current horns? I have a Jupiter 869 alto, but it does not have ribbed construction. Thanks

Distinguished SOTW Member NissanVintageSax's Avatar

Default Re: Vito made in Taiwan question

Do you have a picture? Ribbed construction is not indicative of quality, it's simply how they build "higher end" saxes these days. Many pro saxes of the past didn't have ribbed construction.
    '60s Vito (France) Mo 38 A.Sax; '22 Harwood Professional C(Buescher Stencil); '26 King Bari; '70s H. Couf Superba II Tenor Sax;'20s Beaufort American Curvy Sop (Conn stencil) w/white Roos blueminorjazzcombo@groups.facebook.com

I took some pics of the horn with my IPhone now I just need to figure out the best way to get them uploaded.

Very true about the ribbed construction, as my Buffet Expression (Keilwerth stencil) has post construction as well as modern Keilwerth horns. I trying to point out the design feature to try to ID the horn. I also noticed that it has blue needle springs.

Just the way it is built and designed appears to be different than the student model Vitos I usually will run across. When I saw the first pics of it, I thought it may have been one of the Yani made Vitos but the Made in Tawain quickly dispelled that...lol The person I got it from said they used it for a year in 6th grade and stuck it in the closet until they decided to clean out their closet and sell it which would make the horn about 15 or so years old. Anyway, I had picked it up for a nice price and figured I could use it as a basic knock around horn if you will. A quick tune up at the tech was the only it needed and it has certainly been a pleasant surprise at how well it plays. While I am no expert on manufacturing or building a sax, it appears to be put together fairly nicely with no sloppy work like is seen on too many saxes now days. I took some pics and hopefully I will be successful in posting them.

Ok...I am not being too successful in my pic uploading, but I found an ebay auction with a horn like mine for sale. This is not my auction and I am only referencing it solely for the picture content. The horn in the auction looks to have been neglected a bit, but mine is pretty much mint. Hope this may help a little. http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEBLANC-VITO...item43a99be3e4

Thanks again!

The Vito on that link is a Yani Vito (the front F key gives that away). Interesting though. Maybe there's a transition period in there? Or a rather good forgery?
    '60s Vito (France) Mo 38 A.Sax; '22 Harwood Professional C(Buescher Stencil); '26 King Bari; '70s H. Couf Superba II Tenor Sax;'20s Beaufort American Curvy Sop (Conn stencil) w/white Roos blueminorjazzcombo@groups.facebook.com

The mystery continues. Lol. I guess it is possible Vito had a company in Taiwan reverse engineer a Yani...it would not be the first time it was done . I thought it maybe one of the Yani horns at first as well but the "Made in Taiwan" kinda messes that up. The website referencing Vito serial numbers shows this serial number range and originating in Taiwan but does nor reference a model number or who made it for Vito. Ill try to post some pics of my horn soon to try to help out. If my horn is modeled after a Yani I really need to try one out! Lol.

There was another thread on here about a mystery sax w/made in taiwan on it, with very strong strong Yani S8 and 800 series features. Never heard of a bad Yani copy yet Bad Selmer copies...well there are many of those!