Antigua Winds
AW Reeds
    Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Default Transcription of Coltrane's solo on I Could Write a Book

I've received so much from this forum that I think it's time to give something back.

I finally decided to start transcribing songs. This is my first attempt - John Coltrane's solo on I Could Write a Book, from the Miles Davis Quintet CD "Relaxin' with Miles".
    There may be note or chord mistakes, so please let me know if you find any, I'll be more than happy to share a revised copy.
    Enjoy!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Tenor:
    Selmer Mark VI, Ted Klum Focustone Solid Silver Handcrafted 0.108" mpc, Rigotti Gold 3M reeds, Marc Jean ligature

Default Re: Transcription of Coltrane's solo on I Could Write a Book

jlima you should transcribe the melody also and not just the solo. I always see transcribed solos without the head. A player should know how to respect the melody and this means how to play the melody. There are many ways for playing the same melody and master how to be creative with that is a must. Think about that.

Good job
    62' Tenor Mark VI
    "vintage" otto link 7*

Quote Originally Posted by SaxTMan View Post
    jlima you should transcribe the melody also and not just the solo. I always see transcribed solos without the head. A player should know how to respect the melody and this means how to play the melody. There are many ways for playing the same melody and master how to be creative with that is a must. Think about that.

Good job
    Remember, Coltrane did not play the head on that particular recording… and Miles's interpretation isn't much different from the chart that's already in the Real Book.

jlima, nice job. This is my favorite Coltrane solo and it's nice to see a transcription of it. The only thing I would recommend doing is putting a double barline ("||", not "||") at the end of each chorus (or a "Chorus 2," "Chorus 3," etc. mark) to show where a new chorus begins. Otherwise, great work. Looks like its time for me to print and play!
    S - Yani S991, Drake SoS 8, RSJ 3H Filed
    A - Ref. 54, Drake VR Jazz 8, RSJ 4S Filed
    T - '70 Mark VI, Drake NY Jazz 8, RSJ 4S Filed/Gonzalez 4

Distinguished SOTW Member Kelly Bucheger's Avatar

One of my favorite Trane solos! Looks well done, jlima -- I'm looking forward to checking it out... Hats off!

Quote Originally Posted by SaxTMan View Post
    Fer what it's worth: solo transcriptions already exist in a gray area in terms of copyright -- however, if a tune's melody is included, that unambiguously would violate copyright ... I try to avoid the melody for that reason.
    My BRAND SPANKING STILL HERE CD, • House of Relics • iTunes, Amazon, Bandcamp.
    Sakshama Link on a VIGwind Slant on a 10MTenney Berg on a VIPhil-tone Alto on a TH&C

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. Keep them coming!

I do see a point in SaxTman's remark, and I did think about it, and probably will analyze Mile's rendition of the melody more closely, but the goal of the transcription was basically to get the tenor solo.
    Tenor:
    Selmer Mark VI, Ted Klum Focustone Solid Silver Handcrafted 0.108" mpc, Rigotti Gold 3M reeds, Marc Jean ligature

Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxophonist Extraordinaire chayjazz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Bucheger View Post
    One of my favorite Trane solos! Looks well done, jlima -- I'm looking forward to checking it out... Hats off!

Fer what it's worth: solo transcriptions already exist in a gray area in terms of copyright -- however, if a tune's melody is included, that unambiguously would violate copyright ... I try to avoid the melody for that reason.
    This is one of the reasons I never put the "melody" in any of the transcriptions you find on my website.... Nice transcription jlima.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.076000,-115.308748

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Bucheger View Post

My philosophy is to transcribe. I'm not intended to sell so... but i understand your point. I just do not agree, but respectfully.
    62' Tenor Mark VI
    "vintage" otto link 7*