Antigua Winds
AW Reeds
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Distinguished SOTW Member

Default Re: Why is it called Committee III?

Trumpet Guy needs to produce "his research."
    I would not presume, as a saxophonist of 45 years and a teacher of 36 years, to tell him anything about trumpets, as the history of trumpets is both beyond my interest and expertise. But we here at SOTW have been studying and researching these horns for years through the empirical truth of observable existing instruments, which speak for themselves. We have nothing to prove; the saxophones have proved it for us, again and again.
    "What we have here... is a failure to communicate." In other words, Trumpet Guy is one of those people who cannot admit defeat; one who cannot stand to be incorrect. As such, he is merely an irritant, and probably just as laughable in the trumpet world as he is here.
    Sax Magic

There's another The Martin Tenor with Committee engraved on the bell on eBay right now.

Forum Contributor 2009 coufplayer's Avatar

I know this is an old thread but I just read it. What a hoot! Just like a trumpet player - know it all, has to be right! Let's see, what could COMM. be? Maybe the Martin COMMunion? The Martin COMMunist? The Martin COMMune? Maybe The Martin COMMercial? Couldn't possibly be The Martin Committee, because that was reserved for real instruments, like trumpets.
    Yanagisawa SC901 Silver Soprano, H. Couf Superba 1 Alto, 14x,xxx Mark VI Tenor, '54 "The Martin" Bari

Distinguished SOTW Technician
    Forum Contributor 2013

Quote Originally Posted by coufplayer View Post
    I know this is an old thread but I just read it. What a hoot! Just like a trumpet player - know it all, has to be right! Let's see, what could COMM. be? Maybe the Martin COMMunion? The Martin COMMunist? The Martin COMMune? Maybe The Martin COMMercial? Couldn't possibly be The Martin Committee, because that was reserved for real instruments, like trumpets.
    The trumpet guy stated that Martin never referred to the sax models as Committee in any literature. I'd like to know how he was able to read every Martin saxophone advertisement ever published! I've got several ads from old music mags from the 1930's that state that the horns are "Handcraft Committee" models including this one.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123